OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

You seem to have DLSS developer overlay enabled. Just disable it:

You do not want to touch these settings (such as auto exposure). There are keyboard shortcuts in the DLSS developer documentation, but again I don’t recommend touching it.

You’re absolutely right, my bad.

I would like to better understand this too, @mbucchia. I tried following this theory myself yesterday for my Quest 2, basing the calculations on the Meta-recommended resolution for that headset to achieve maximal sharpness across the frame (5408x2736px overall, so 2704x2736px per eye.)

Since I don’t use an HP G2, my understanding is that OpenXR Tools for WMR isn’t applicable to me. But I can’t find anything called “override resolution” in OpenXR Toolkit settings, either through the VR menu or the companion app. Is there something I have to configure to get this setting to show up in the first place?

It’s also unclear to me where you derived your own calculations from. As @Smo0thie10 noted, while it’s obvious how you got from 3172x3092 to 1586x1546 (divide by two) and from there to 1057x1030 (divide by three, multiply by two). But it’s not so clear how you got from 2160x2160 to 3172x3092. You mention 1.4x supersampling in that step, but that’s not actually 1.4x on either axis and also differs by axis with no explanation (1.468x horizontally and 1.431x vertically; why?).

If you or anyone else could explain this and the corresponding calculations on this step for the Quest 2, I’d greatly appreciate it!

True, however there are equivalent settings for you in the Oculus software or Oculus Tray Tool.

1st option in the System tab.

The exact math is dependent on the optics, no clue what it should be for Oculus but most likely something close to 1.4x as well, you should let the Oculus software manage that for you. For the 1.4x instead of 1.4xx same reason, you probably shouldn’t worry about these peanuts.

Not sure what’s changed since my posts below, but I now have CTD every flight when Turbo mode is enabled. It happens somewhere in a middle of a flight and I cannot notice any pattern or link it to any event. It just happens suddenly. Could be related to a lot of clouds around, but it could be totally not related.

current CTD with Turbo is related to thread scheduling on the CPU, so it could literally be any change. I have a fix supposedly but I have failed to even find 10 minutes to test it.

9 Likes

I tried out the TK frame limiter for the first time earlier, set to 45fps. Something funny I observed:

• When I use Rivatuner to lock to 45fps, my rdrthread value (in current scene) is always 9-10ms.
  • When I use the TK limiter, rdrthread doubles to 20+ms and I get less smooth motion than when using Rivatuner.

So does the TK limiter work by artificially increasing the rdrthread times? If not, i don’t understand this effect.
I guess this is really a question for @mbucchia!

Somewhat related: despite my frametimes in all threads (main, rdr, GPU) always being way below the 22ms frametime I need for a locked 45fps, I still get occasional scenery stuttering, sometimes for up to 10 seconds or so. How is this possible while all the thread readouts stay at the same low level, without spiking?

Could these occasional stutters still be CPU related? I have a pretty clean and recently formatted PC with almost no (extra) background processes, so I doubt it’s that. I guess what I’m really asking is: Could an upgrade (from 7700x) to a 3D CPU help eliminate these stutters via the extra L3 cache, even though they are not showing up as CPU thread spikes?

Any insight much appreciated, thanks!

Presume quite a few people here happy to test and get back to you with the findings.

I can speak from experience and tell you that doing this would cost significantly more than 10 min of my time…

7 Likes

mbucchia, this is a question possibly not related to this topic…what is CAS and what does it stand for in OXRTK? Also, with my new system i9-13900KF and RTX4090 using CAS and 4096 x 2160 res has made everything very clear inside the cockpit and out…I have everything turned to max settings except grass and bushes (set to off) and 105% in TAA scaling. Even the signs along the taxiways and runway are now readable when taxiing…lights on airports and aircraft look great…so CAS has made the biggest difference to my running MSFS2020…the FPS is around 29 even with Ultra clouds and rain…I still have Hyperthreading on and Visualization on in BIOS…HAGS is off and game recording is off…latest Nvidia drivers and latest PIMAX 8KX software and firmware (.299)…my headset is an original not the newest 8KX. Thanks for the work on this and good luck with MS on the DLSS3 work you will do.

As mbucchia is a very busy guy, I can provide the answer:
CAS stands for Contrast Adaptive Sharpening, an AMD invention. Google it for more info… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also have CAS enabled @45% in the OXRTK and find it does a very good job at sharpening up the image without any major side effects apart from slight over-sharpening of distant trees. My system: i9-9900K (@4.8GHz), 64GB RAM, RTX3080Ti and HP Reverb G2 runs very nicely with DLSS, high and some ultra settings (MR enabled of course :slightly_smiling_face:).
Thank you to mbucchia and team for making a significant positive difference to the VR experience with MSFS2020.

5 Likes

Your system is fairly close to mine in specs - what FPS are you seeing? I’m usually in the low 30s with occasional drops into the upper 20s.

I will echo the well-deserved thanks for mbucchia and team - without OXRTK I’d be trading off visual quality and/or smoothness!

2 Likes

Thanks for the response

I am seeing mostly 19FPS in clear skies…but that is in 4K res and everything except grasses and bloom turned all the way up…grasses OFF and Bloom OFF. I also have all the extras Ships, AI Parked aircraft, Leisure Boats, Cars and etc set to 100%. If I tinkered with it a little I could lower the TLOD to 300 and turn down some of the other stuff to get higher FPS, but it looks too good and flies just fine (very few to no stutters and no blurriness).

1 Like

I have my MR locked @30fps and it’s rock solid at that frame rate. Last time I ran it without MR I was typically getting 40+, sometimes as high a 50+ fps as a max depending on location and weather conditions. My settings have probably changed a bit since I ran it without MR though.

2 Likes

Hi. By mistake, I enabled turbo mode and got a CTD. Since then I’m unable to use the Toolkit always got CTD when trying to enter the menu to disable the turbo mode. I’ve tried to change the settings using safe mode but got also CTD in normal mode. Uninstalling and reinstalling the Toolkit did not help either. What can I do? Thank you for helping.

OK . I’ve found the solution In safe mode we need to confirm the change to the default settings to reset all to the initial state.

2 Likes

Another solution in my case is in the welcome-menu screen of FS20 before load the flight, enter in VR and open the Toolkit menu and disable turbo without Sim CTD.

1 Like

Open OXRTK in SafeMode and Reset the settings. Close VR, disable SafeMode again and reenter VR. That’s how it worked for me

1 Like

If I’m on a Q2, can I use hand tracking to interact with the cockpit? I can see the little hand representations moving and matchign up, but cannot seem to interact with anything.