OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

Hi, can you please tell me how you disabled holographic device.
Thanks

This isn’t needed anymore if you follow this:

2 Likes

Hope this is going to be a definitive solution, since March 2022 I suffered so much that I stop playing FS2020 in VR mode.

1 Like

What does the MR Depth actually do? I tried this out earlier but couldn’t tell a difference.

To be honest I’m not entirely sure, or able to explain it properly. I know @mbucchia has explained it a few times in the past.

What I can say is for me, it completely smoothes out movements in the cockpit. That, combined with outside scenery being pretty smooth for me since I’m typically in the mid 40’s for fps, makes for the best experience on my rig.

1 Like

OK, sounds good. And why not use Depth+Motion?

Depth+Motion in MSFS doesn’t do anything as of today, no OpenXR implementation has support for it. It will auto-revert to Depth only.

Depth-only will improve smoothness of head movements with static scenes (no moving objects), but it won’t help when there is motion in the scene (where motion reprojection enabled in your VR software is the only solution).

2 Likes

If you want gain resolution-definition-crispiness without losing performance, play with CAS in Toolkit and in FS20, I have it in 50-60% and 100% in MSFS.

so, happy to help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, that explains why I find 36 fps locked with ASW Off in my quest 2 the smoothest experience with in game Reprojection set to Depth. It’s far less wobblier than 30 fps locked with Reprojection set to Depth.

Ideally I would like to upgrade my GPU from the 3070 to something that will allow me to get 45 FPS at 90hz. 45FPS locked should help more with smoothing out objects in motion outside the cockpit. In theory along with Reprojection set to Depth, it should yield good results.

I was wondering how the in game Depth Reprojection will perform on AMD cards.

I am considering moving to AMD because I have an ITX case and the new generation of Nvidia GPU’s won’t fit in it. But if Depth Reprojection doesn’t work as well on AMD cards, I would be wary of making that move.

Any advice will be appreciated!

1 Like

2 things:

• on Oculus with ASW ON, I think the Depth option in MSFS might enable ASW 2.0 which is supposedly a lot better than regular ASW. I know you said you keep ASW OFF but I figured it’s worth mentioning.

• Depth Reprojection uses pretty basic GPU features that should work equally well on AMD and Nvidia. It is Motion Reprojection (so ASW ON) that has dramatic differences with Nvidia being far superior to AMD both for quality and performance.

2 Likes

The Depth option gets disabled even if enabled after leaving the Settings (at least, that what’s showed after entering the Settings again) on a Quest 2 so I just thought it wasn’t compatible. :thinking:

I know this is true for Depth+Motion reverting to Depth only (since again that is not supported anywhere today), but Depth only should be fine.

I am confused about those resolutions. Based on the DLSS quality resolution numbers given, 100% game render is 1586x1546. (1586 x 2/3 = 1057, 1546 x 2/3 = 1030). I get the jump with FSR 50% back to this from 1057x1030, but wouldn’t OpenXR runtime be 2220x2164 (1586 x 1.4 = 2220, and 1546 x 1.4 = 2164)?

And if OpenXR runtime is scaling to 1.4x what does the final scaling back to the HMD’s display resolution?

Ive found it occurs with ffr and dlss in Su11, regardless of shake reduction

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely consider AMD whenever I do manage to upgrade. I read in the Motion Reprojection Explained thread that you had written the same thing about ASW 2.0 might be activated with the Depth setting on.

However in my experience using the Quest 2 at 36fps72hz I didn’t notice any difference with ASW on with the Depth setting on or off. The wobbles were very noticeable especially when using the Navigraph in game widget or a canvas widget to jot down ATC notes. It’s not so much the objects outside the window or the propellers but the edges of these widgets that exacerbate the wobbling.

Using no ASW however, I seem to get the best of both worlds. Depth mode REALLY smoothens out the forward and backward motion within the cockpit without any noticeable wobbling or blurring. This is what I’m using the most typically in my flights (shifting forward and then back in my seat to push buttons / turn knobs etc.)

I will give ASW On another go when I can later today and will let you know if my observations change.

Thank you once again for this incredible toolkit and more than that, the time and effort you put into this forum to help out clueless folks like me.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have “the bug” the last few days, this is the first time i’ve been able to get back on to FS.

With the toolkit disable, I can get into FS and also get in to VR no problem. With the toolkit enabled, I can get in to FS no problem but within a second of entering VR the sim crashes. I know you have said that the tookit isn’t active unil in VR and pressing CRTL F2 but this is what is happening for me. Toolkit disabled, no problems, Toolkit enable crashes right after entering VR.

That being said, when I use the Toolkit Safe Mode to reset everyhing, I’m able to get in to VR and all works fine. Unfortunately I imagine we are then supposed to uncheck safe mode for next start and doing that again crashes once in VR for about 5 seconds.

Sorry if that was said to you before or if my info is invalid. Have you turn on the Turbo Mode? This can cause stability issue and ctd. Hope you will find a solution soon. The tool is really a crucial addition. : )

Hi everyone. Could someone help me and explain to me what is the info that is on the lower part of my desktop MSFS window?

I’m curious about the autoexposure, what it does and if I can toggle it on/off? Also, it’s weird that it say the sharpen is off when I use it in the OpenXR Tookit. Do you guys think it’s the setting in my MSFS config file, because I have every post processing off.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Sounds like you may have enabled turbo mode and it is causing the crashes as soon as you load up in anything other than safe mode. In that case, I suggest you do this.