OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

After a while, a project can run it’s course! Thank you for everything you have developed for us.
Looking forward to the OXR WMR updates when they come. But more than anything, I am wishing you and your family the best. Take care of real life first and foremost. We will always be here… you can count on it. :wink:

3 Likes

Ooh, another bunch of shortcuts I will never really understand. The pool of options which are spread in three or four applications (Windows, WMR, OXR, TK and game itself) is still a secret to me! A sufficient result on my system seem to be a lucky game or something like acoincidence.

Please don’t misunderstand me, in the end you’ve found some setting, you just don’t know if it’s optimal.

It would be really desirable if we had a user interface for VR that anyone who didn’t know could use and understand!

(At best integrated in the MSFS itself!)

For example:

• Detect/choose hardware (PC, CPU, GPU, RAM)
  • Choose VR headset
  • Set some (!) options (like „show XYZ“ on OSD)
  • Give a slider to choose between performance and quality

Thank you for making MSFS playable at all, especially for people who don’t have a huge account in the bank. Without the toolkit I would have given up the sim a long time ago.

But I will keep dreaming of a user-friendly simulation including a simple hardware control.

Sincerely

Thorsten (55 year old)

P.S.: Have a nice time with your family!

1 Like

Has anyone discovered how to prevent the crash when leaving VR (whilst using Turbo). I prefer to keep turbo on as it gives me the extra FPS, but can’t leave VR without MSFS locking up.

Also, if I disable turbo, I can leave VR fine, but when I go back in I get a stuttery mess (8fps compared with 50 normally).

I know its two questions, sorry

I wish I could help, but I don’t experience that problem any more since version 1.2.3. I trust you are using that latest version?

Thanks mbucchia for this incredible app, it made my VR setup playable (and enjoyable) again in MSFS!

Good luck with your leave of absence looking after your family, nothing is more important than family (or a safe landing :wink:)

1 Like

Updated today (which is why I thought I’d try turbo mode as it’s more reliable now)

Thread is getting long, is there anywher explained what the different upscaling modes ACTUALLY do, and how it translates to the experience in my headset?
I’m just poking random numbers at it, but don’t really know what to look for.

Try going to the Main Menu before exiting VR. That helped a while ago, but I haven’t any issues lately with bouncing in and out with Turbo on.
secondly, does the stuttery mess get better if you wait a few secs? does it bounce back or remain at 8 fps?

There is a whole website full of information that is linked on the very top post:

2 Likes

I left it for a minute and there was no change (I do get a stuttery mess when I first go into VR, but this solves in 10-15 seconds normally)

1 Like

Both issues can be solved by not leaving VR in the first place :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your excellent toolkit! Can you explain if Nvidia Reflex (or Nvidia Low Latency Mode = ultra in the Nvidia Control Panel) has any impact on the operation of the toolkit?

Because it’s what it is.
FSR and NIS are upscaling+sharpening techs.
CAS is a sharpening tech.

These are 2 different usage.

The System tab Resolution Override changes the final resolution. This can be used to render at higher resolutions for higher image quality. You can also set it to a lower resolution, but if you are going to do that, better try the Upscaling (see below).

The Performance tab Upscaling changes the game rendering resolution. That resolution is then upscaled to the final resolution (set above). This can be used to lower GPU work while keeping some quality (better than the traditional non-NIS or non-FSR upscaling).

What option are you using? There is no “lock” option for VIVE, the option is called Frame Rate Throttling.

1 Like

Unfortunately, when changing certain settings in the toolkit, you are forced to leave and come back in :wink:

Well then, try to keep that to a minimum :slight_smile:

For me, the problem when exiting VR was that my VRAM was overloaded and windows then used shared vram, which then led to heavy fps drops. since i took some of the load off my game (reduced 2D resolution and tweaked things) i can get in and out of VR as much as i want with no problems!

Check your Taskmanager if you switch
(This is not my GPU, this is just an example) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I myself have a 3080ti with 12GB VRAM and when my shared VRAM exceeds about 0.8 GB then the stuttering occurs. (DX11)

Take care of your family, good luck with everything! And thank you so much for doing all you’ve done for the community! Will be happy to hear from you once you’re back.

I’m using OXRMC for my Motion Simulator and it’s working great! I didn’t realize you’re connected to it tangentially :slight_smile: And out of curiosity I looked up OBSMirror and it looks very promising, I’m going to try it when I do the next video…

I’m having this exact problem but without Turbo… Bummer… Every single time I disable VR I have a CTD, no exceptions. Turbo is definitely off.

1 Like

I find this to be the case when I have motion reprojection enabled on DX12 (not when it’s disabled). It doesn’t do it for me on DX11 with or without motion reprojection.

I seem to be having the same experience. CTD when exiting VR with DX12 when motion reprojection is enabled, not so much with DX11 which seems to be more stable.

Happy Birthday by the way!

1 year ago today, the first version of OpenXR Toolkit was released, with MSFS being the only game targeted at that time.

53 Likes