OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

Thousand Thanks to the developers for this great tool :star_struck::+1:

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant!

I now have a smoother, sharper image and best of all the head shaking issue is greatly improved.

Thank you guys so much, just what the VR community needed :+1:

FSR 80% render
40% sharpening
OpenXR render 100%
Motion repro OFF
100% render in game.
DX 11

Reverb G2
RTX 2080 Super
I7 8700K
32gb Ram
Windows 11

1 Like

WOW and WOW again… its a different sim in VR now…
without wishing to be controversial…if ONLY you could apply the same improvements to XPLANE in VR your god like status would be confirmed for ever LOL
please .,… ? :slight_smile: :smile:
thanks
Bill P

Ahah unfortunately this would be a 100% different project :slight_smile:

Between supporting OpenVR instead of OpenXR and Vulkan instead of DirectX… If X-Plane were to switch to OpenXR this would really help :smiley: cause I would be down to Support Vulkan in our code. But also, the problem is not all OpenXR runtimes support Vulkan…

A tip to those blindly fumbling for Alt F3 with their headsets on - do not press Alt F4 as it instantly closes the sim :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks for Sharing, Do you have Motion Reprojection On/Off?

What would make me love you forever (to be frank you already have my love though lol) would be if you could get OVRMC forked into your toolkit to work with OpenXR for motion compensation for motion rigs.

Currently there’s a happy coincidence that ovrmc works with steam’s OpenXR runtime, but it means massively suboptimal performance because one can’t use the native OXR runtime and motion compensation and you have to set steam as the system default even if you have eg a WMR headset.

Unfortunately the developer of OVRMC doesn’t even have a wmr headset so understandably hasn’t pursued development of an OXR version… perhaps one day in the future after higher priority stuff is done it could be a function of your toolkit!

2 Likes

@mbucchia quick report on the latest public version:

• NIS/FSR is working great. FSR seems nicer, with less shimmering than NIS. I had the same experience with Elite Dangerous with OpenVR NIS/FSR layer. So thanks @CptLucky8 for making this possible.
  • The hand tracking interaction bug is back wih a vengeance, unfortunately. Somehow with the prerelease version it only happened to me rarely, but I tried a short flight now with the release version and it happened every couple of minutes again. Same as before: I could see ghost controllers but controls would not highlight and no interaction is possible. Same as before, index finger touching twice for laser mode and back fixes it until it happens again in a couple of minutes.
  • After about 15-20 minutes when hands came back - it seems that the toolkit lost connection to VR controllers entirely. I could seemy hands tracking fine, but no amount of squeesing or finger-gun trigger could bring back the ghost controllers. The didn’t come back at all.
  • I will be happy to do the video, showcasing hand tracking within the environment with custom hardware and motion platform, as discussed, but this needs to be sorted out first, or it won’t be much of a demo…
  • When it’s working, it feels great!

Can anyone else with Leap Motion controller confirm the bug again? Maybe you can figure out any correlations to when it happens? Seems random to me.

My thoughts are that button reset could be related. Also, I accidentally set FSR to 130% (TAA100/OXR100), which may have overloaded my system, so high CPU/GPU load could affect that possibly. I will try with FSR 77% and see if it’s better.

3 Likes

Hardware
Headset
Quest 2
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU
RTX 3070
RAM
32 GB DDR4 3600
NVidia driver

Oculus
Refresh
70Hz
Render Resolution
4128x2096

Oculus Tray Tool
Default Super Sampling
Default ASW Mode
Off
Adaptive GPU Scaling
Off
Mirror FOV Multiplier
.95-.95
Mirror Oculus Home
Disabled
OVR Server Priority
Above Normal

Upscaling: FSR
Factor: 100%
Sharpness: 20%
World Scale: 70%

Best experience i ever had!
I only flight VFR, this time New York and very smooth gameplay!

Activities Flights:
New York → smooth 16 FPS above Central Park
Rio De Janeiro → 20 FPS
London → 19 - 21 FPS
Paris → smooth 17 FPS
Bora Bora → 24 FPS
Giza → 23 FPS

21 FPS may not be much, but it’s more than enough for an enjoyable game.
Big city - 19 FPS, Bora Bora - 21 FPS
This proves to me that the 20 FPS area is just fine!

4 Likes

Hey,

for me in Quest 2 I7 7700K 1070Ti

OpenXR Render 100%, MP aus.
MSFS: TAA 100
OTT:
Quest link:
Distorsion: Low
Encode Res.: 3648
Bitrate: 500
Sharpening: Enabled
Recommend SS: 1,3

Game Settings:
Default SS: 1,2
ASW: OFF
Adaptive GPU: OFF
Mirror FOV: 0,75 - 0,85
OVR Server: Above normal

VR Toolkit:
FSR: 100
Sharpening: 20
World scale override: (A32N) 110
Prediction dampening: -20

It works hard on limit 20 to 22 FPS on Ground tested EDDB
But Vr never feels so smooth anf Clear for me.

So after NIS Skaler you guys bring us another Gamechanger.

Wow thank you and much respect for your Work ro make VR this what it is.
Add a Donate button so i can give a little bit back thx thx thx

4 Likes

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who thinks that 20 FPS is OK :smiley:

4 Likes

LOL yes for me it is ok and aceptable smooth better as all time before on Flightlevel im at 25 to 30 FPS.
the hardest is the Ground and Addon Airports i tested ever at EDDB.

Love this tool, thanks to the developers ! For me, FSR produces the best picture overall :grinning:

1 Like

Disregard post

Thank you all for posting your results but I don’t think they’re very reliable. :worried:
I’m gonna do some tests myself because seeing ‘very smooth’ and ‘20 FPS’ in the same post is a nonsense to me.

I’m looking for at least 36fps (ASW ON of course) on a 72Hz Quest 2 → It cannot be smooth below that.
Right now I can reach them while flying between New York buildings, but only with 1.0x SS (= no SS) and 100% resolution in game. The results are good but not very well defined when a bit high in the sky due to the lack of SS so that’s what I’d like to be able to crank up.
The lowest ‘smooth’ setting would be 18fps (72/4) but for having tried it with OTT, it’s absolutely unplayable.

Thanks for this great tool guys, I can’t wait to check out the improvements and I’ll report back as soon as I can! :+1:

3 Likes

Good stuff! I can report a small increase in clarity and ~ +6fps on average.

HP Reverb G2 = stable ~ 30fps
NIS = 80%, Sharp. = 30%
OpenXR Dev. = 100%, Motion Rep. = Disabled
MSFS = 100%, AA = TAA, AF = 8x, Other stuff = High to Medium, but Shadow stuff = 768, and Low to Off.

Ryzen 3700X @4.3Ghz
GSkill 32GB @3600-CL15
Asus X570-E Gaming
Asus RTX 2080 Super OC (NV 511.23)
Crucial MX500 1TB
W10 Pro DX11

1 Like

On Reverb G2, 22.5 (1/4 of 90Hz) FPS with Motion Reprojection enables is completely smooth (with some visual artifacts mostly negated by mods). 30FPS (1/3) is even better. I agree that with MR off, anything below 40 feels really bad and jerky. 20 is impossibly bad, a “vomit comet”. Some people are more sensitive to that than others. I can’t stand 60Hz refresh rate - I see the flickering. Many people are fine and don’t see any flickering. Such people’s brains can be tricked to perceive 20 FPS as smooth movement. After all, almost all movies are 24 FPS. TV is 30FPS. For most people 22.5FPS with MR is good, 30FPS with MR is excellent, 40+ FPS without MR is good. Those are the goals, more or less, but those can be personal preferences. Some people hare MR more than love smooth FPS.

4 Likes

Great app, love the new in-game VR gui.
Should the World scale be adjusted based on the cockpit view? Does it change the outside view perspective? What’s recommended for the G2? (RTX3080).
Thanks so much!!

My 2c: what people are calling “world scale” is really the difference between right and left POV points in VR and it varies for each person, depending on the difference between his IPD and the ideal IPD for the in-game VR rendering POV “cameras”. So it’s going to be different for every person. If cockpits seem too small for you, or too large - you should adjust it until they seem real size. If your IPD is close to the average, than probably you feel that the size of cockpits is abou right. For me it is (IPD about 64.5mm) The more your IPD differs from average, the more you feel the world scale is wrong. Than you should adjust it.

4 Likes

I also think that, as long as you haven’t experienced better, then it’s good. Like video games graphics, how many times did I see ‘wow this is photorealistic, I don’t think this can’t be any better’ and then 10 years later, you look back at this specific game and you’re like ‘meh’. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like