OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

There used to be a bug that you had to uninstall- but this version fixes the bug. So it should work in-place!

EDIT: Confirmed that in-place upgrade worked for a few folks already.

3 Likes

I also did an in-place upgrade. Appeared to install properly. Won’t be able to try out the sim for a few hours though. :frowning:

@mbucchia , a big thank you for the excellent documentation on your website. That’s something some developers are weak in, an it’s so important to get people going. Very well done!

7 Likes

easy install, just over the ‘old’ one. Have to play a bit with it. When in the FS menus, you clearly notice the ‘rings’, but not in the game. When set to ‘performance’, some black lines at horizon level. Less when using ‘quality’. But bed time now ':wink: More tomorrow!

3 Likes

Thank you - @CptLucky8 did a lot of writing as well for the documentation.

To all, for FFR - the main page is here:

Fixed Foveated Rendering | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

8 Likes

Yes, by nature this “grid lines” in the main menu background do not play well with changing resolution progressively.

But fortunately not noticable with actual game content :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please remember to check you settings:

• Are you using in-game render scale of 100%, and using NIS/FSR in the OpenXR Toolkit instead of the in-game render scale?

• Are you disabling the Light shafts setting in the Graphics option for VR?

More on quality here:
Fixed Foveated Rendering | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

2 Likes

Very quick go before bed, quick play with the FFR settings and got 3-4fps with the default Preset but plenty of tinkering to be done.

Thanks chaps, looking forward to playing with this tomorrow.

1 Like

Cool, will go try that! I’ll lose my dear ASW but if I gain enough FPS, Steam motion smoothing could do the job for now.

so far… <3

tried the performance / wide setting with FFR, this gives me a boost so i changed my clouds to ultra and a little bit more renderscale :slight_smile:

runs also very smooth with 30 fps!

thanks so much guys!

1 Like

Exactly what I did!! Plus I love the new interface , no problems on my side using rtx 3080 , dx11 , reverb G2 , 85% FSR , (150% oxr) but I’ll put 100% everywhere and see where I’m at with the new performance enhancement :blush::blush:

2 Likes

Stirling job! Just flew over Paris and into LFPG with FPS between 24 and 36! :ok_hand:
[EDIT] That’s with FFR Quality and Balanced presets, FSR @80%, Sharpen @20%. Will play around a little more.

2 Likes

Excellent work. I installed this and chose the Wide preset for FFR and my fps showed 60 with typical settings (normally between 30-45), couldn’t believe my eyes (Varjo Aero). There was some black dot artifacts in the peripheral vision with this preset so I had to use custom setting to get rid of it but now able to settle for 45 fps in Bora Bora activity with 85% rendering pixel on the Aero, no NIS or FSR as it degrades image quality by quite a bit.

2 Likes

Good to hear all the feedback, thank you all for posting your experience.

Adding one detail:

Don’t just tweak your settings while sitting on the runway!

You want to also do some flying where you can see the horizon line, and make sure you don’t get visual artifacts like the ones shown in the documentation.

Pro-tip: if you use the in-game Developer mode, there is a menu at the top with an option to freeze simulation.

1 Like

Exciting! I’m trying the latest openxr toolkit now, looking forward to the FFR.

By the way, I saw in VR Flight Sim Guy’s vid yesterday (or day before?), his ‘set and forget’ settings included using NIS if you’re NVidia, or FSR if you’re AMD. I have an RTX 3080. Does that mean I use the NIS and not the FSR? Apologies for the confusion.

The vid I’m referencing is here:

Let’s try that again:

The work you guys are doing here is just simply out of this world, man. This tool is pure gold. It’s 1am, so lots more testing to be done tomorrow, especially custom foveated settings, but from my 1st hour of testing the performance benefit is very obvious (using quality and wide preset seems to work and look best. I couldn’t even notice any benefit performance wise if i set to the performance preset). One of the functions i’m most pleased are the brightness/contrast/saturation filters. Just amazing work all around. No breaking/obvious bugs encountered either. You have my deepest gratitude for making this sim couple orders of magnitude better. Thank you to all involved.

8 Likes

I don’t have time to watch the video at this time but I will later.

I’m going to be honest, we haven’t done benchmarking of every algorithm on every card :smiley: but, there is no evidence pointing in that direction. Both NIS and FSR implementation rely on the same set of GPU functionality (here the “Pixel Shader Model”), and there isn’t any reason to think that NIS wouldn’t work well on AMD cards and vice-versa FSR wouldn’t work well on NVIDIA cards.

Now if you think about it from an engineering point of view, the NVIDIA engineers developing NIS likely work with NVIDIA cards, and the AMD engineers working on FSR likely use AMD cards. So it is possible that performance is a bit geared towards one or the other based on what “house” developed the algorithm.

However, it is unlikely to be noticeable, because both algorithms are pretty fast already.

When it comes to quality, they perform the same image processing regardless of the GPU they will run on, and there will be no visual quality difference between NIS running on NVIDIA or AMD and FSR running on NVIDIA or AMD. However, there are differences between NIS and FSR quality.

So my recommendation to you is to choose NIS or FSR based on the visual quality. Try them both with the same upscaling resolution, and pick the one you prefer in terms of quality. You will just get the same performance. One of them will look better to you I expect, but it will purely be subjective! I think generally people on the forum have liked FSR better, even though they have NVIDIA cards.

I can only encourage you to spend a bit of time to experiment with both and figure out which one “feels right for you”.

EDIT: That is to say: I am not arguing with the author of the video, perhaps they did do all the benchmarking work described above and came up with the right conclusions.

EDIT2: Watched the video now and I think the guidelines were pretty soft and the bottom line here was also to just try out both (with same upscaling value) which is pretty much the same recommendation I have.

6 Likes

Thank you, excellent work, as always! Guess I’m CPU limited with my ASUS ROG Strix G17 gaming laptop, no matter the settings tweaking, I always end up at around 25 FPS.

But it’s good enough for me and my Quest 2, and what’s more, you and your team made Flight Simulator so much more enjoyable thanks to World Scale and now even Quest Hand Tracking! I will never again be able to do flight simming without VR, proper scale and hand tracking…

So that this message is not just praise, here are some additional observations: To try FFR, I switched from Air Link to Virtual Desktop, which made me use Steam’s OpenXR implementation, but performance was terrible that way (about and below 10 FPS). With DirectX 12 and back to Air Link, I got back to high 20’s. Interestingly, toggling FFR didn’t affect my frame rate at all, it just degraded visual quality (so I know it was working). I’ve already reduced FOV using the Oculus Tray Tool, so I guess there’s just not much room for improvement here, for now.

Anyway, the Toolkit is so much more than just performance optimization. Hand tracking is wonderful, so glad you got it working with Quest. Any chance of adding some stabilization for it, too? The “finger-clicking” often moves my aimpoint and toggles a different switch than intended, so a way to stabilize aiming would be really helpful.

Again, thank you and the whole team for improving Flight Simulator so much for all of us! :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

You should checkout the “Detailed” overlay (need to enable Experimental mode in the desktop app).

It will give you “app CPU” and “app GPU” stats. This will tell you whether you are indeed CPU limited.