Opinion on object-attaching add-on for aircraft

I was wondering if the community here would be kind enough to give their opinion and/or input about an add on I had in mind. I am not sure if there is something similar in the works already.

I have been working on a separate project for P3D, and within it, I developed code that is capable of spawning a 3D object, and then orient and attach it anywhere on the aircraft. The aircraft would then be able to fly with this object attached to it. While attached, the object would affect aircraft loading and flight model. When detached, the object would fall to the ground under normal Newtonian physics model (not sure how a “dumb” 3D object would behave by default in the sim, but we have the physics engine in place that could take care of it.)

This would, in essence, allow for:

• Attaching releasable payload to aircraft: cargo crates and pods, instrument pods, etc.
  • Creating cargo pods for transport aircraft that can be placed in the interior and pulled/pushed out through the back door, even while in flight, using parachute system we already developed
  • Loading an aircraft with a parachutist team and having them jump out
  • Attaching a Space Shuttle Orbiter to B747
  • Not sure how Asobo feels about weapons, but this could definitely be possible. We have rocket propulsion physics in place.
  • Water bombing and crop dusting
  • many more possibilities…

I would really appreciate feedback - please feel free to offer opinions and suggestions.

9 Likes

I think it’s a great idea! and would be well received in the community. As long as there is no performance impact…

1 Like

Would a user be able to create their own 3D assets to use as attachable objects?

1 Like

Absolutely - fully customizable, along with weight, aerodynamic properties, etc. However, the attach points (x,y,z location and orientation) would have to be specified as well, and not having the aircraft geometry file, this may be a bit trickier. A trial and error would be simplest, or, I’m thinking of an object “slew mode” to get it into the proper location.

2 Likes

Or import the aircraft into blender and get the x,y,z from there?

1 Like

Could you work with other 3rd party’s to have this “add-on” build into their aircraft? This would be a great add on to workhorse helicopters to lift cargo for transport and such. :slight_smile:

1 Like

gltf files can be imported to Blender and examined? If so, ya, that would work!

Yeah, there is an importer I think it’s by FBW.

GitHub - flybywiresim/msfs2blender2msfs: Fork of the official Blender glTF 2.0 importer and exporter designed for MSFS 2020

1 Like

I wouldn’t work with other 3rd party devs, per se. I would release a “SDK” that would enable 3rd party devs ( or, anyone else, provided they know xyz locations of attach points on the aircraft) to use this themselves on their aircraft.

Btw, similar thing exists for P3D, it is called TacPack, but it only deals with weapons, and it requires an aircraft model to be pre-loaded with objects in the 3D file.

My solution would be actual 3D objects attached.

3 Likes

Well then, there’s a solution for that!

In DCS there are servers that - although it’s mainly a combat simulator - run missions where one flies helicopters like the Mi-8 in for example fire fighting service. These servers are quite popular among the helicopter fans. Sling loading is popular, too. I would guess that something like this would have a large fanbase in MSFS as well. Of course it would also allow the F-18 to carry the often requested extrernal fuel tanks etc. I’d do it, it definitely sounds sensible.

1 Like

Sounds really good. I’ll vote a big “yes”.

How about also having a way to include triggers in the objects which can interact with other triggers (detectors) so for example you could set up a crate with a trigger and somewhere in the world would be a static drop zone visual with a receiving trigger.

When the crate is placed (or dropped!) within the zone, it counts / registers it. Further this could be expanded to a UI window that shows the count, and a requirement to “pass” a mission. (Assuming another attachment can be collected to same or different XYZ on the craft and added dynamically during play?).

This way fairly intricate missions could be designed around that simple system to actually make a working mini-game, with goals and a win condition? Could then be further expanded to have scores based on total time taken to complete the task and a global leaderboard for best results :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That seems like a good idea. If we can add the 3D pilot and copilot avatar and “attach” them into the cockpit with the assicated weights affecting it. I don’t have to manually maintain my Pilot and Copilot Avatar mod all the time. And it could work for any aircraft.

You have my support.

3 Likes

I think with this sim, the phrase, “if you build it, they will come”, rings true with this idea.

Regarding your examples, i believe the military version of the H145 has working rockets.
I also seem to recall addon aircraft and/or heli’s that can do crop dusting.

Regarding ideas, being able to add passenger weights in game adding actual passengers in the proper seats.

Cheers and best of luck if you go forward with this project !

2 Likes

Awesome idea, sounds like great functionality. I imagine it would be popular and get a lot of use. Very cool.

Thank you for the time and effort you’re putting into improving the Sim experience for us.

1 Like

OH I just thought of something fun as an addon for you… Wing Walkers… Go visit airshows in a stearman or other bi-plane, and there on the wing is the walker while the aircraft is doing stunts… :slight_smile: I miss good airshows…

2 Likes

Finally a good fit and excuse for the barely animated, slightly freakish looking, scared stiff MSFS character models!

4 Likes

I just thought of something
…

1 Like

Or:

:sunglasses:

Hi everyone,

Just an update on this, I am making some headway on this and will soon (hopefully) have a video of work in progress. I’m implementing it on P3D for now because I haven’t migrated the code to MSFS2020, but the code should (hopefully) be identical. I am using Hercules C-130 as a test subject, as it has a lot of potential for attaching things, and also a fully functional cargo area (“cavity”) with user-controlled 2-piece cargo doors.

2 Likes