ORBX EGLC London city airport upgrade/downgrade

There is also a new version from UK2000 which does have animated trains.

3 Likes

I forgot UK2000 had EGLC. Just had a look at it on their website and whilst I’m not blown away it still may have influenced my decision to pay full price for the ORBX upgrade this morning. At least it has some interiors and as you mention animated docklands light rail. I expect a paid for V2 to at least be equivalent to if not exceeding the competition. Otherwise it should just be a V1.1/1.2 and free upgrade. No interiors is just not up to scratch for current MSFS airports IMO.

4 Likes

Tell me if you are blown away. This is their marketing video for V2. Note only interior is the tower. ALso not clear how much is std scenery and how much is from their London city pack too.

1 Like

I need to stop buying addons on Marketplace. Delayed updates, encrypted files, missing out on discounts like this one

8 Likes

This is one of my pet peeves about internal marketplace purchases. For free upgrades it works fine. For paid upgrades, no option to upgrade except pay full price again. I don’t even have a receipt that says I purchased it, I only have receipt for ‘flightsim credits’. It really is putting me off the in game purchases.

6 Likes

The lack of a discounted upgrade path for marketplace purchasers makes it an easy decision to go buy the less expensive UK2000 EGLC and replace the Orbx version. Which is a bit of a shame, given that I own dozens of Orbx products and I think EGLC was the first airport I bought for the sim

(Note: I now buy things from the marketplace only if there is absolutely, positively no other alternative than to do so. Otherwise, I avoid it like the plague.)

4 Likes

EGLC V2 absolutely awful looking by night too. Interiors are not there but there are fake interiors instead that give a 3d impression. Many parts not/under illuminated. I really regret buying this. This isn’t 2020 any more. I may have to wait and see if it improves or go check out UK2000’s version which doesn’t blow me away either.

Summary: It’s been re-done, but what warrants the V2 label? I was expecting an Inibuilds/Drzewiecki type quality “MSFS in 2023” style release which this definitely isn’t. For a cheap upgrade for current owners it is maybe worthwhile, but for an outright re-purchase or first time buy, I’d feel decidedly underwhelmed. (& I do)

Some EGLC V2 night time pics.

New station barely illuminated, no trains. Details in background buildings better illuminated.

The interiors that aren’t. 2D faked interiors and it shows. No people not one.

Absolutely no interiors.

The private jet terminal, completely boring, no illumination, no people no interior.

Fake interiors at the front of airport really bad looking IMO.

This is as good as it gets. You need to keep further away and not scrutinise details. (I do)

Those green chairs :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Call me insane, but I’m thinking of doing exactly this. It doesn’t blow me away, but it has more features. - interiors, people, and animated dockland train.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking one for the team, at least!

2 Likes

Just bought the UK2000 version. I have some of their other airports and whilst they are IMO not top tier these days, their preview of EGLC looks good/better than Orbx EGLC. I think UK2000 have improved a lot with their more recent scenery releases (glass, pbr texturing, interiors and people). The Orbx V2 just feels unfinished or rushed even. :man_shrugging: Perhaps worth it for a ÂŁ4 upgrade if you have an Orbx copy already.

2 Likes

i’m not buying it on principal and from the screenshots i think id rather go for uk2000’s version

5 Likes

UK2000 EGLC Pictures

Well UK2000 version has a better train station that’s for sure. Oh and animated trains (although they sadly don’t stop at the station!)

There is an airport interior, but not everywhere mainly the gate areas. Not top notch but it is there and looks better than not having one!

Also has more active & illuminated (open for business?) private jet terminal

and the airport is far better illuminated (runway taxiway has flashing amber lights).

Is this bleeding edge? No. It feels like where airport design was at maybe a year ago. Inibuilds, drzewiecki, pyreegue & nzasimulations (among others) have all significantly raised the scenery bar for what is possible with airport design though over this last year.

5 Likes

I agree that the ORBX V2 upgrade is underwhelming at best.

Especially with a smaller airport, isn’t that the time to go all out on terminal interior modeling etc. since any FPS impact is mitigated by scale?

6 Likes

I find V2 absolutely
 fine.

It was good before. It’s good after. I’m not seeing much quantifiable improvement beyond reality itself.

If you have V1 and don’t notice or care all that much about the layout changes I can’t say I’d bother.

At least they didn’t milk existing owners too insultingly.

1 Like

One quirk with the new parking layout (facing outwards from the gate) at EGLC is that AI aircraft gets pushed back into the terminal building! Anyone know how this is best disabled? Using FSLTL, but it’s in game AI doing much of this. An airport scenery thing? Impossible to solve/workaround?

1 Like

Confirmed. It’s doing with the JF FS Traffic, too.

1 Like

They insulted by charging, when they did this for hollywood Burbank there was uproar and they changed their mind Dublin was let through so now we will see this all the time

I think it depends on the developer.

The top ones get it right the first time and if they claimed their paid upgrade was better than the previous one, I’d struggle to see how that was possible.

I doubt they’d charge for a layout update unless it was very significant.

This update isn’t a detectable upgrade despite whatever claims. Dublin looks better than before but it’s still not top tier and I would’ve been narked had I coughed up for that.

It’s a sim issue. You can set a parking spot to not have pushback but AI will push back anyway, and will always push straight back, so at EGLC they push back into the terminal. Also, you’ll find when traffic taxis in to parking it will not make the turn into the parking spot as it should, it just parks facing the terminal. None of this is an ORBX issue and the UK2000 scenery has the same issue. I confirmed this with both the developers directly.

It’s impossible to properly model the parking system at EGLC for AI in the sim as it is today, at least using sim / injected AI. I have hope that PSXT, which supposedly directly controls aircraft moment-to-moment against real ADSB/GPS data, may show the correct behaviour. I’m setting this up for a test at the moment.

I started a wishlist item to fix AI taxi / parking behaviour so a parking system like this is possible for AI, but it’s a pretty niche thing so it hasn’t got a whole lot of upvotes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very interesting thanks. How do they get there IRL at EGLC ? Reversed in by a pushback tug? (Sorry, just re-read your comment implying they turn into the spot themselves, interesting.)

Also noted from watching fsltl AI at eglc that none of the airliner jets that approached could land on the short runway. This was with an over city approach, not sure if they could do so on the reverse runway, but this is a separate issue. Perhaps eglc isn’t currently the best place for ai watching. It should be though. So compact and with a great skyline.