Orbx UK terrain mesh. New release

An email has just landed from Orbx offering enhanced terrain mesh for UK and Ireland which might be interesting. Please post your thoughts, reviews and observations here as it might be a worthwhile resource for others. Me? I am tempted… :slight_smile:

Considering 2024 is around the corner…kind of, I don’t think I would be touching any payware mesh addons at this time.

That said, with 1m resolution I’ll bet it looks stunning. I wonder how it will affect airports though, where any elevation changes may affect them.

Maybe worth waiting for v2 though. :wink:

7 Likes

It’s only £7GBP so may be worth a punt, but yes 3rd party airports are a risk with slight elevation differences. This was true in their Alaska mesh which is nice admittedly. I may give it a tryout as the Scottish highlands curently have way too many rounded mountains. It covers Republic of Ireland too though. It’s the “British Isles” not just UK.

2 Likes

I saw that but I’m very nervous that it will destroy tons of the UK 3rd party airports I have.

2 Likes

I almost bought their Alaska mesh but, after seeing comparison videos, there appeared to be barely any difference!

Compare screenshots

23 Likes

Hmmm, think I’ll pass.

8 Likes

Agree. The differences just aren’t worth the purchase (in my opinion).

2 Likes

I bought it. But then again I live in GB so naturally I want the best depiction of my local terrain that I can find. £7 was peanuts to spend on this so for me was worth it. What I noticed (and appreciated) the most was a significant reduction in terrain morphing particularly by the coastlines. I always found that immersion breaking so this package is a price worth paying to remove that irritation.

10 Likes

What do the cliffs look like?

1 Like

Yes, I did hear these packs prevent or certainly massively tone down the terrain pop, which of course isn’t evident from the comparison shots. Possibly a benefit that makes them more worthwhile, especially since they’re modestly priced.

1 Like

It seems like the main benefit is fixing the seams.

I live on south coast, therefore know those cliffs/coastline well both in real life and also in the native sim. I flew the Comanche along from Lydd to Isle of Wight yesterday, and all the cliffs were clearly a vast improvement on native. Hardly any terrain morphing also I previously stated.

5 Likes

It seems like there are benefits here, though not necessarily where you might have expected them and with such a low price it looks like my card may have an outing when next at the PC. Living in Herefordshire, I often venture into Wales in the sim and the scenery around here is magnificent, so I think I will give it a try.

2 Likes

I would definitely say the benefits are there vs native. The improvements offered do not amount to a night and day difference or anything major. I personally feel happy I have bought the package. I know the terrain well so I know it is improved. I simply avoided buying a coffee and pastry this morning on my way into London for work. So…the package pays for itself if you are prepared to sacrifice 1 x any unnecessary daily snack. The package is therefore healthier! What an all round deal :grinning:!

11 Likes

Impressive restraint! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Try foregoing a MSFS add-on for a coffee and pastry, though…

Never seems to work that way!

5 Likes

Ha ha indeed this is so very true. I will proceed to calculate how many cakes I could buy myself instead of upgrading my pc :+1::rofl:

Your conversation turned out to be quite persuasive even though at first I also though it’s not really needed. lol

It can replace the Taburet coastline morphing fix (that I’m never sure is really working anyway) but for the whole of inland land too! What the heck, Orbx getting some more money against my better judgement :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Do let us know here please if you are indeed encountering any problems with add-on airports after installing the mesh (in particular at Burning Blue fields).

1 Like