"Overrun of a stack-based buffer..." What?

buffe

Thanks Asobo.

I am afraid that you found a real bug! Could be a conflict with third party software, though, but might be the core sim too.

“Stack-based buffer overrun (or stack-based buffer overflow) is a kind of bug indicating that a program writes more data to a buffer located on the stack than that is actually allocated for the buffer. It is a general programming malfunction.”

I think it would be wise to log a zendesk ticket wil all the necessary information (I assume that you know how to view the application logs).

Here’s more info on this message:
System Detected Stack-Based Buffer Overrun — How to Fix | by Amanda Gao | Medium

I hope that this is an accidental glitch and not persistent?

The most common thing is a string, which is allocated on the stack as a certain size. If the app puts too long a string in it it overflows, it doesn’t fit. Giving this error.

Gets worse and worse

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000149195e
Faulting process id: 0x2960
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78465644d8473
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 58f58711-5a28-4286-80eb-42d1fbc75394
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Are you sure that you are running absolutely Vanilla? And have you installed all updates from the Content Manager as well? Just asking, no offense.

When does this happen ?

None taken :grinning:
Yes I am. I thought I was being smart: installed a fresh Windows last Sunday…installed sim anew on Tuesday. Pulling my hair out on Thursday.

I can’t spend another 5 hours doing windows and flightsim…it’s already failed.

When launching the sim

So that’s absolutely Vanilla I would say. Do you have any USB-peripherals that could be the culprit? Installed latest drivers?

The physical setup hasn’t changed at all. Was running the sim for several months without issue. Regardless, I unplugged all devices aside from keyboard and mouse. I can get it to launch if I try about 4-5 times.

Immediately ? Does it constantly get to the same point ?

I’ve had it four times out of many attempts to fly. At the same time, I’ve never seen that before Tuesday.

I meant, on my system MSFS takes a minute or two to load. Does it CTD on first load, or at some point in the loading ?

Honestly, it’s random. CTD before menu loads…CTD mid-flight…freezes for 15 seconds off an on. Haven’t been able to finish a flight yet.

I dont want to run it Vanilla… just as I was running it on SU4… I am not a tester, I am a paying user.

After 15 mins in any flight and any plane, VR and not VR, no touching anything, no usb disconnections, no other apps… and boom.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001eacb26
Faulting process ID: 0xcac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7847f954c4600
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: ade09625-9c38-4b9a-ad17-cf2f8ad56ab9
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

In my world, the app does not handle excpetions at all, just throws everything to the trash bin

1 Like

Yep I’ve had that a few times now.

Unfortunately this tells us nothing.

Weird. You aren’t over locking or something like that ? Did once have a USB device that worked spasmodically and kept connecting and disconnecting which is challenging

No over clocking…I’m too paranoid. :grinning:

I’ve experienced the USB disconnect issues for months. How can an app, in 2021, fail to handle a disconnected usb device!

1 Like

Could try ripping out every USB device, try it once with just the mouse, once with just the keyboard ? Such random behaviour does make me wonder hardware. Have you run the memory checker in windows diagnostic tool ? Any other non MSFS problems at all ?