Patch 1.9.3. What happened?

Dear Asobo/Microsoft,
Introduction: So I bought the sim after it got released and it was great! I have a GTX 1080 and was able to play at Very High graphic settings with 20-30fps in for example New York and ~50fps in non-photogrammetry areas. The game looked just like the trailers and it was extremely fun to explore the world. There was something magical about it!
The sim was running very stable… no crashes, no stutters, no frame drops, from time to time it froze but after 5 sec it recovered and worked just like a charm.

The day before the patch: For the 100th time I was flying around in New York city around the skyscrapers and the “Magic” was still there. Beautiful sharp textures, high render distance, no trees plopping in the far. Happy and excited for the patch that would improve Japan and fix bugs(I was wondering what bugs they talked about ´cause I haven’t encountered any yet), I went to bed.

The patch drops: After a very long download I logged into the game and everything seemed normal. I spawned in Tokyo and flew around the new scenery. Two things I noticed immediately were the massive performance boost and that the Tokyo photogrammetry looked quite “lame” in comparison to what I saw in New York yesterday. Happy about the performance boost I spawned in JFK. Again wow massive performance boost, the FPS had doubled. But something seemed odd. The buildings were blurred and deformed. The render distance was very low and it seemed just as if the game changed the graphics settings to “low”. I thought: Yeah, that explains the performance boost and the weird graphics. The update lowered my settings. I headed over to the graphics tab and…It was still on “Very High”.
NO WAY! They downgraded the graphics! Does this game belong to Ubisoft??
I was and still am very upset about this. But not only that. After the update, the game has started to be very unstable. The fps drop randomly, the game freezes AND does not recover, it crashes(Very annoying!). Somehow even the algorithm cities look worse now. The water reflections look odd. I remember flying around the Alps in Italy and my mind was blown by the visuals. Now it just looks like X-Plane…
For me, the “Magic” is gone! It’s not as much fun as before to explore the world… :frowning:

I don’t mean to insult Asobo or the Microsoft Flight Sim team. They have done an extraordinary job by creating this sim. You have my greatest respect but please bring back the old visuals. Don’t rush the patches…You have created such a beautiful living and breathing world filled with beautiful visuals, I don’t mind if the patch release is 5, even 10, weeks later since there’s so much to visit already.

Long story short: Bring back the old Graphics and stop breaking the sim for me. I prefer stunning New York at 20/30 fps than blurry and deformed NY at 60fps

EDIT: I still love the Sim and will keep flying until they solve the issue :slight_smile:

EDIT2: We narrowed it down to reasons being a slow internet connection. Yet there are still some bugs which need to be fixed and for some the stability of the game has gotten better a d for others worse. Now we just have to wait for Asobos next patch. Hopefully it will fix most of the issues
Thanks at all for your help and time :slight_smile:

27 Likes

Exactly this is what i want too

3 Likes

I know what you mean, there is nothing more I can do in the config files and settings to bring back that “magic” look we had before.

3 Likes

@QuadratGolf6324 Unfortunately this patch has destroyed the simulator. Now it is totally different. They have lowered the graphic quality. They have removed the AA, the texture of the water, distance of objects, etc.

6 Likes

Hi, by chance do you have Nvidia Geforce Experience installed? If so this thread may help.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a way to raise the devs attention? I saw a live stream with the devs an they had alist with topics the community wants improved. The list was sorted by votes. Can we do this too?

Yes I do. I will take a look, thanks :slight_smile:

I hope they can hear us. I’m not sure they fix this. This is a change maybe forever

i 100% agree with you. I think they mentioned in the Q&A that they didn’t purposely degrade the graphics and they are aware of the autogen/photogrammetry/low LOD since the patch and its a bug (hopefully fixable). We shall see.

That is great news! I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

I have been extremely happy with the Sim until the latest patch. I was using all assists with my Son to let him experience the joy of a flight sim like I enjoyed years ago with Microsoft Flight Simulator. Its now almost impossible to do anything with either all assist or the AP. I hope this will soon be resolved.

2 Likes

It’s called Zendesk and it’s linked at the top of the forum. Or perhaps the dedicated “bug & issues” forum.

I’m not sure what makes people think that their take is so important that it deserves opening a whole new thread about it in general discussions clogging it and choking any discussion that’s not about complaints, instead of discussing their issues in one of the 3432232 threads that already exist covering exactly the same stuff or on the dedicated channels.

That’s the difference between feedback and noise.

1 Like

If you have an nvidia card, and use Geforce Experience, check that the latest driver update didn’t auto-“optimize” the settings for flightsim. Mine did, and it changed everything to low settings.

I removed the optimization in Geforce Experience, and it set everything back to the way I had it, mostly high and clouds on ultra. Things look much better now.

1 Like

Check the Data tab in game and make sure photogrammetry is still turned on

This is near my house at the moment. Not really seeing to much degradation after reverting settings in NGE and turning photogrammetry back on.

I am totally surprised with you. The game has undergone a big change graphically for the worse. And you write saying absurd things. I do not get it

1 Like

@sniperman68slc it looks horrible, don’t you see it ??

He’s certainly making more sense than someone saying that the patch has “destroyed” the simulator, which I was wondering if it was an attempt to comedic relief.

3 Likes

Devs answered during their live Q&A that they didn’t do anything to the graphics on purpose and they are investigating. The community has discovered that it has to do with files in the Japan update overwriting base files with bad graphics.

Search around the forums and there is one update in particular that restores housing height and there’s also a little fix for restoring draw distance.

2 Likes

I do need glasses. I have looked at before and after and there is a difference but not as dramatic as people seem to make it out to be that’s all. Let’s hope for better in the future and getting the eye candy back that we saw in beginning though for sure. I for one can still keep playing in the meantime.

2 Likes