Pause,Stutter, SIM is Unusable!

Dear team,
After countless hours of testing past few weeks,I have come to conclusion that the performance issue is indeed at MS end.
The latest update did not work for me.
The Simulator stutters and pauses when ever nearing the destination, Regardless of area density. It pauses , stutters and degrades. Also the visual ground sharpness is reduced despite ultra setting(wasn’t before).
The visibiltiy is infinite outside USA and Europe. (Despite local visibility of hardly 4000Meters)

It also stutters terribly in starting when panning around but gets fine after I have panned completely. . Rest every other high end game is working perfectly.Asobo/MS please priortise performance as a main factor .
There are presently no issues with my PC, I have checked inside/out!
Nothing in community folder either.

Made a video, Also, Paused the sim for better stutter undestanding and pauses.

9700k @ 5ghz
RTX 2080Ti
32 GB RAM
Steam version.
SSD
200MBPS

Moin,
maybe a little tip.
I can see that you have tackled your 9700k (i7 / i9?) With 5ghz a lot. Try it lower, maybe you will start with 4ghz.
How do I get there? I own an unlocked i9 10900 and happily stacked it up. After that, MSFS ran like you did …

Gruß
Dieter

i second that, though i think MS/Asobo doesn’t care that much, are unwilling since xbox release is prio, or they don’t know, i doubt to be the later:

and as always, PLEASE Asobo proof me wrong.

1 Like

Sad to hear that.
No Problem at my end. Installed all patches, Nvidia Driver 466.11
Just flying at FL450 heading to Ho Chi Mingh and it is a smooth flight including takeoff at Tokyo with heavy online Traffic today.
Only in High clouded mist I got a little stuttering. But in that case I have to point to myself and my settings which are not really compatible to my RTX 2060 Super.

Hi, Tried lowering, Also default . Same problem

Seems like even the visual part is detroiated.

I’m sorry you’re having this problem, but if it makes you feel any better, know that most of us are not, and you can probably fix it, too.

I’d make a suggestion, but there are sooo many things it could be… CPU overclocks, GPU overclocks, just plain old trying to run the sim at higher settings than are appropriate for your hardware. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of additional possibilities that I’m not going to bother listing, and I probably don’t even know all the possibilities.

I even heard of one person that fixed their problem because they had a memory chip that wasn’t properly setup with thermal paste. How in the hell he figured THAT one out, I’ll never know (I suppose unless he tells me), but he replaced the offending memory module, and his sim ran great after that.

I wish you luck, you might start with some of the more common offenders, and go from there. And if you’re worried about removing your overclocks making the situation worse, don’t be… When I removed mine there was NO change to my performance, in 2D or VR whatsoever. If anything it actually improved a bit, at least in VR. But then again, I don’t generally use fps counters, and just rely on my eyes to let me know if there’s a performance problem.

So… good luck!! I wish I had a magic solution for you.

Don’t overclock anything for MSFS! It’s ok for other games/sims but not for MSFS.

Also ensure nothing else is running in the background. One note for example has been known to cause micro stutters when in the system tray (bottom right).

Hello,
I am on default stock for CPU and GPU, Nothing overclocked. Memory chips all tested inside out.
The issue is with no other “high system demanding” games. but ONLY with MSFS.

Nothing extra is running, Checked for spyware etc Nothing, On default stock CPU . Still same issue.
Issue is ONLY with MSFS and no other Game.

Have you watched the YouTube Video ‘Side by side Graphic Setting Comparison - Microsoft Flight Sim 2020’. I highly recommend it. Most of the Graphics settings do little to nothing {visibly speaking} beyond the Medium Setting.
The Graphic setting might not be your issue…but maybe the video will help someone else who moves in slow motion.

Cleared both rolling and manual caches?

Why? I ran it fine with my 8600k/4,9Ghz allcore, no AVX offset, and mild 1.24Vcore. My 2080ti runs also on 1,995 to 2,025 Ghz with +875Mhz on RAM.

No problems so far :crossed_fingers:

You need over all a proper cooling for you PC, have to know that MSFS uses AVX2 (so oc is a little different to handle), delid/lm your cpu and you can do oc very well, even with MSFS.

1 Like

Currently msfs has blocking code in certain situations (source from this forum). If you’re pushing settings too high it results in frequent stutters.

Affirm.

FPS just now. I never used Caches… it never made any difference

I’d recommend at least setting a rolling cache if you’re frequently in the same area. This will save a lot of bandwidth and processing on the main thread. Also, as Asobo make their updates it will undoubtedly include more code that requires extra processing.

Does it stutter using different aircraft?
How long does a flight take to load up after clicking “fly”?

What’s your render scaling and window dimensions settings?

1 Like

Since you have checked many different factors already, you might as well check the heating of your system. Since you have overclocked, even though you have tried backing it down for msfs, it is still possible that your system is running hot. If you have already tested this variable, I haven’t seen it in any of your descriptions, though I may have overlooked it. Proper cooling is a factor that impacts demanding graphics and processor intensive programs like msfs. I hope you can resolve this.

What you see is what you get with an 9700k@4k.

You are cpu limited by 150% so the only way’s are to reduce cpu load or to get more cpu.

Lower ingame settings step by step in smal increments as long as cpu load and gpu load equals best possible and see what fps you. If you are then still not satisfied lower your resolution.

Dont try to get 45fps@4k near large airports, that is illusion at the moment. Having 30fps somewhere nowhere and 20fps on final is fine for playing to me.

Hi, I have tried rolling cache and it made no difference, yes the loading times are quite much, which was minimal before updates. I tried default 1080P, 2k,4K, with all window dimensions and it has no effect on pauses and stutters at all.

for the most part this seems like trying to shift the blame to the user… which apparently is not the users fault for the very most part.
Please someone post a video flying a Asobo GA or Airliner over or into Paris, with any settings showing NO stuttering, fps and frametime drops what so ever!
i too get these random fps drops precisely to 10-15fps that can happen pretty much everywhere, it stays like that for a while and most times recovers back to 40-45fps, and yes fresh Win10 install, most recent drivers, AMD Ryzn9 overclocked or not, m.2 4800GB/s SSDs, rolling cache on (15-60gb) or off, 4k or 720p, These stutters and drops happen either way, they didn’t before 1.13.16.0 at least before 1.10.7.0.

2 Likes