Peixsoft "GlassCockpit To Sim" - G1000ish PFD for Android

I love the “GlassCockpit To Sim” by Peixsoft. To date (Feb 2021), it seems to be the most versatile Android PFD for MSFS.

However, I have some issues:

• AP seems to have general problems connecting / disconnecting
  • I could not figure out how to reliably change altitudes (ALT, VS)
  • FLC (and speed adjustments) does not work
  • XPDR changes / inputs are not communicated to MSFS
  • NAV cursors do not automatically adjust according to what the NAV cursors do in the MSFS G1000 (i. e. automatic ILS final courses). Instead, they get stuck in N (0).

Am I doing something wrong? Are you also experiencing these issues?

I wish there were Android apps that actually worked.

1 Like

You’re not doing anything wrong. The app is pretty limited in what it can do in MSFS. It was developed for FSX / P3D with limited XP functionality. So any SimConnect events should work through their PeixConnect talking to FSUIPC and SimConnect. But there are a lot of basic SimConnect events that are listed in the MSFS SDK that currently don’t work. In time they likely will, but for the time being, many don’t. The fact they claim all over their web site that it works fully with MSFS is rather scammy IMHO. Note that there’s no mention of MSFS compatibility on the Google Play store, except in the comments section.

That said, even what works is questionable. Many of the gauges and displays won’t match up what you see in your cockpit. In MSFS, you’ll see numbers that are all correct and in the green, but see them in flashing red outside of their limits in this app. Some stuff doesn’t work at all, as you discovered. And it only works with a very limited number of planes.

Used as a display, it’s actually ok. You get your PFD (minus synthetic vision) with relevant information as long as it’s one of the supported planes. It’s good to have that extra display if you’re on a view that doesn’t allow you to see your PFD in your virtual cockpit. I wouldn’t have very high hopes of using it as a practical external tool to control. your G1000 though.

One alternative is to use something like SpaceDesk and use your tablet as a wireless external monitor. You can then break out the PFD and display it on your tablet. If you have a second tablet laying around, you can have both PFD and MFD running. You won’t have buttons to control them, but at least you’ll have the displays available with the same data visible in sim, as well as synthetic vision.

2 Likes

Thanks for the extensive explanation. I do have a 4 screen setup, so plenty of screen space to display additional apps / break out windows. I was simply hoping to find a cool Android app that allows me to control the sim. The Peix app would be great if it worked fully, as advertised.

It would work as advertised if you were using FSX or P3D. It comes up short with MSFS. The author of that app did absolutely nothing to make it work with MSFS. It just so happens that MSFS also uses SimConnect, so some of it worked. And that was good enough for him to declare it MSFS compatible.

But like I said, he didn’t claim that in the Google Store description. False claims would get his product pulled with enough complaints. And I’m sure the 10 min preview time you get before you have to buy it is also well planned to get people to see the basic functions work, then buy it to be let down that more important ones don’t.

If you’re looking for external apps to control your cockpit, you might want to check out this thread. It will require a touch screen (you can use your tablet + SpaceDesk) to fully control the in game G1000.

2 Likes

Thanks again. Yeah, I already looked at the proposed Mobiflight solution. Maybe the Touch Portal Plugin will become more extensive too in time.

1 Like

Although it’s expanded since, this was my initial setup using 2 tablets as external touch monitors. It worked quite well. I’ve since expanded my setup somewhat, but this worked just fine.

1 Like

How did you get the app to show the map?
Anyway I confirm all said in these entries.
The app is nice, it could be better if AP worked.
I wrote several times to the authors who claim that it is my mistake.
They wrote:

The VS works fine in the app, I don’t know what the problem should be
:frowning: , I understand that you press AP before VS to have the autopilot
activated.The app sends the orders to MSFS2020 and the simulator takes
care of the rest. The app is based on the original G1000, and the
MSFS2020 version is a friendly version, which differs a bit.
Although I have tried to adjust everything to be as similar as
possible, some data may not match MSFS2020, as it is a generic
application that works for all simulator versions, X-Plane included,
not just MSFS2020.
I can’t do anything about the flight plan because FSUIPC has nothing about it.
----------- and I answered:
Hello,

thank you for your fast reply.

I believe I didn’t describe the problem related to VS and FLC very well. Let me try with an example.

-------> Using MSFS.

1. I take off in manual.

2. I reach 1000 feet.

Then using MSFS autopilot I do the following:

1. i set the heading to the current and press HDG.

2. I press ALT then set up the altitude to the current (1000 ft).

3. I press AP (autopilot) and the plane stabilizes to the set values of heading and altitude

4. I set a new altitude (2000 ft), then press VS and increase the VS speed to 500 fpm pressing the button “up”.

The airplane changes the altitude to 2000 ft and stabilize.

----------> Using Glasscockpit.

1. I take off in manual.
  2. I reach 1000 feet.
    Then using GLASSCOCKPIT autopilot I do the following:
  3. I set the heading to the current and press HDG.
  4. I press ALT then set up the altitude to the current (1000 ft).
  5. I press AP (autopilot) and the plane stabilizes to the set values of heading and altitude.
  6. I set a new altitude (2000 ft), then press VS and increase the VS speed to 500 fpm pressing the button “up”.
    The airplane does not do anything, the new values are not shown in the simulator and the vertical speed stays on zero.

After that, I honestly don’t know how to explain it differently.
I can also make a video if you want.
------------- they replied
You must press the AP button first to activate AP in roll/pitch mode, then you can use the other buttons, VS, HDG, etc.
If the AP is not activated first, pressing AP then establishes the default values to maintain pitch / roll, this is how the Garmin GFC700 works, and that is why it may not behave as you expect.
------- what the heck? I replied:
Good evening.
To explain better. Attached here there is the photo of the app.
Situation:

• altitude 2500 ft;
  • heading set with Autopilot, GPS is the source;
  • altitude changed to 2700 ft and vertical speed to 400 ft/m (as per green indicators on the top of the screen).
    Nothing changes, airplane does not climb at the desired climbing speed. It does not matter if I press VS or FLC.
    Everything works if I use the actual planes autopilot.

after that complete silence from Peix… it seems they are ■■■■■■ or else.
Bottom line, the app might me nice, but it seems they don’t care to make it completely work with MSFS.
Please update this post if you have any news.

It does not seem “Glass cockpit to sim” by Peix… what app are you using?

It isn’t. That was using Spacedesk to make my 2 tablets wireless touch monitors for my PC and using Air Manager.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I am searching for these kind of G1000 simulators, is the interface completely usable?
Can you give me some links?
Thanks.

They are fully functional. Knobs are still a “touchy” thing on a screen, but work. Takes some practice though.

I’ve replaced the tablets with physical touch monitors now, and have added a device called the Knobster to control on-screen knobs. If you want to see how they work in practice, check out the 2 most recent videos on my YouTube channel. In the most recent, I’m using the steam gauge C172 with GNS530/430 and the previous one I’m using the Bonanza with G1000.

Thanks for the detailed descriptions.

I also wrote to Peix, never received an answer.

We have to understand that…

1. These kind of software studios are often one man shows.
  2. These kind of applications are very niche, they don’t sell well and don’t pay the bills.

Hence, there is a limited interest by the developer to maintain such apps, as he is probably busy and occupied with projects that actually make money.

Still, I would wish the author would update the app because I really like the general look and functionality and versatility.

I just sent this (below) email to Hugo at Peixsoft. Maybe others who generally like his app could do likewise. Purchase the app and send him a motivational email. Maybe if enough of us send him our support, he will be motivated to work on this app again.

The email address published on the Google play store is
peixsoft@gmail.com

Dear Hugo

I just purchased your app “GlassCockpit To Sim”.

I did so mostly because I want to support you as the developer.

Since all my simulator flying is now focused on MSFS 2020, I am fully aware of the incompatibilities / issues between MSFS 2020 and this app. (I wrote some issues I discovered in an email to you a few months back.)

In my opinion, your app is one of the most appealing ones (graphics, functionality, ops) available and like many other users, I hope that eventually you will update your app to become compatible with MSFS 2020.

I know well that I am not entitled to an update, but my hope is that if enough other MSFS 2020 users will purchase this wonderful app, you will be motivated to continue work on it :slight_smile:

As a software dev, commercial pilot and early days flight sim enthusiast myself, I would like to offer you my time as a tester for your app, if that is of interest to you.

Thank you for your time reading these lines and for your work for the sim community.

Kindly

Is the Android app from Peixsoft still available ?
cant find it on the play store

Check peixsoft.com
Says that apps are being updated and currently not available for download…