Performance at the expense of visual quality

Perfect performance, I finally can fly without stutters, the sim is finally usable. I’ve never had CTDs since I jumped the boat back in November 2020.

Digital Super Resolution running at 2K (1440p), settings at ULTRA preset with 60fps locked and constant:

Ryzen 9 5900X
HyperX Predator 4100MHz 64GB (4x16)
GeForce RTX 3080TI
nVidia RTX ConnectX-4 PCIe 4.0 Network Accelerator

3 Likes

I was just reading through this thread when I saw this. Had me really laughing. This is the kind of detailed feedback every developer yearns for to improve their product.

‘Hey devs, please fix the clouds. They now look mushy instead of fluffy’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. let’s encourage this kind of devisive, insulting behaviour - a good indicator of why I rarely log in here these days.

You people make me sick.

1 Like

Yes, the visual quality of distant objects and ground textures is downgraded since the release with almost every update. Ignorant attitude about that fact is what causing so much anger from the people who payed lot of money for a product that does not look the same anymore. Yes, there are lot of improvements in many aspects of the game and I belive that the dev’s are doing their best to make this work. But little bit more transparency about cost of the performance boost and ground texture resolution changes would really make people more satisfied…

1 Like

Very nice, so I have Ultra too , everything to the max and here are my results. Maybe you could post some Los Angeles photos too?

1 Like

The performance increase and smoothness is undeniable.

However, focusing on the visual fidelity alone, changes have clearly been done to the detriment of the picture quality. This is fact, and there are now many screenshots which compare SU5 and previous builds.

When was the last time you played a game that looked worse after an update with no options to switch back? Games introduce different rendering modes and options all the time which affect performance for the better or worse, but there is always a choice to switch back to the original renderer/option.

5 Likes

thats pretty much what i get to

For those who keep posting 2D pictures, please understand that you are taking a frame out of a 4K or 2K game play. It doesn’t prove anything. The real issue is when those frames are put together, you begin to see how much they compromised in aliasing to compensate for the fps gain. This is far more visible in VR as it seems that the new render scale of 100 is about the quality of the old 80. This is measured by looking at the readability of the glass cockpit labels.

1 Like

Same for me:
It was never this smooth.

But:

• LOD was reduced. Now i have to set it 200.
  • Colors are washed out or oversaturated. Clouds and planes are fully white most of the time.
  • I got the feeling reflection resolution was decreased and/or they are also oversaturated.
    Looks terrible. Even in the hangar.
  • Got more aliasing now.

Set everything to Ultra. But its still not convincing.

3 Likes

Cool. Anyone knows how to fix the low level color dithering and banding (no smooth gradient between colors) and over exposure please? Thanks for your insight Hugothester!

9900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB Ram | SSD running at 1440P

Looks awful at any resolution.

Any way to fix the clouds too?

1 Like

Firstly, your screenshots look great. But please understand that for me least, it is just not possible to recreate the pre SU5 experience simply by increasing the LOD (via menu or config file). I am a VR flyer for what it is worth.

As I understand it, previously you would get pop in /fade in as your aircraft moved closer to objects (although, to be honest I never really noticed it and that was running at an LOD of “just” 100). To see it, you would need to be looking at exactly the right place, at exactly the time that the building entered the LOD radius of your aircraft. Once the building was inside the LOD radius bubble, it would remain visible any time you looked towards it, unless you turned your plane round and moved further away again.

This contrasts to what we have now, where objects will pop in if you move your HEAD slightly (or camera, for non vr users). This means the same building will pop in time after time, as you glance down to check your instruments and then look back to check the runway or whatever. The net result is pop in occurring order of magnitudes more frequently. And by definition, this time it’s always happening in the direction you are looking in, because that’s what’s causing it to load in. As well as distant buildings appearing, nearby buildings/trees all wriggle/grow slightly as lower quality models are upgraded for higher quality models shortly after you turn your head.

Of course on top of this there’s also the normal pop in as the plane moves as well, the same as in the previous version.

Note this is particularly apparent in VR as
-The buildings and trees that pop in out of nowhere are life-size.
-Performance is already lower in VR so you cannot run some insane config LOD to try to push this pop in far back over the horizon. A very high LOD, but not over the horizon, in some cases makes it worse as the sim pops in objects that are somewhat further away, but more of them !

Finally… We use VR and deal with its annoyances (having a massive weight strapped to your head, all the effort in configuring and setting up, being unable to take a drink of coffee, find your keyboard, read your WhatsApp notification while playing… Oh and the considerable expense…) because the immersion and feeling of really being in that plane, in that place , in that weather was absolutely AWESOME. As an aviation lover, Asobo delivered the most astonishing experience I can recall in gaming/simmimg. It could really fool your brain at times. But I assure you one thing that quickly tells the brain that this is not real, is objects magically changing or appearing a few seconds after moving your head :frowning:

Heres a clip I took just now showing the effect with both 100 and 200 LOD. I don’t see the nearby tree issue here, but you can see the distant building issue. Also note from the FPS counter that the sim is using just 4gb of my available 32gb RAM, and 4gb of my 24gb available VRAM, so in my opinion this pop in should not be necessary…

Asobo we love the sim, please fix and soon! The longer it stays like this, the more I am really upset that I spent so much money on an expensive PC to enjoy it fully. Thank you!

12 Likes

Oh I am not saying there are no issues, just that some people are complaining in a very disrespectful way about things that are not an issue.

As far as I have seen pop-in might be annoying in VR and blurry textures are definitely an issue if you don’t increasr your LOD manually, but that does not deserve the amount of toxicity we are seeing.

4 Likes

Sorry @Hugothester did You changed somethink in Your installation path ?
I’m unable to find this user.cfg file.
This is my path:
C:\Users\zorzi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
and there is folder “packgesstrong text” that contains the folder “justflight-aircraft-pa28-turboarrow”.
I dont have hidden files.
Thank You for attention

Now I understand the presence of the Orbis Flying Eye Hospital in the sim. It is for people unable to see the graphical downgrade.

2 Likes

I have to say in VR, the blurriness of cockpit instruments is a big downgrade for me, especially since I fly mostly IFR these days (AA seems to have gotten really weird)

Also the reflections are hopelessly broken, unfortunately.

I had a few more issues (most annoying was the 3D mouse would stop working once in a while making switching to the next NAV frequency an exercise in frustration).

I like the additional frames, but I feel that it really is at the expense of clarity of the picture (at least in VR - I don’t fly non-VR).

Not that I know of, but I got my sim in Steam, I can show you the path:

Ok thank you.
probably depends from Steam installation; my MSFS is from the MS store.
Thank you and have a nice weekend.

If you got it from the MS store, the path should be:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Unfortunately pop-in and blurry texture with stutters is happening on my end even with manually increased LOD and no VR/TrackIr, but it did seem to help some people…

You are so right about the toxicity/disrespectfulness around here, on both sides of the matter…getting ridicules to the point that I´m questioning if the age average on here isn’t really low

1 Like