Performance at the expense of visual quality

“update”

1 Like

You cant. I too fiddled with these config files and it impacts FPS of course. I had to change supersampling from 150 to 200 to get back some of the visual quality and this in exchange of fps. But many downgrades that they did like pop in effects, you cant simply change back, as well as the far too high brightness HDR setting.

Wow there is no longer a luxury yacht where the hms belfast belongs too. Well, thats nice, but I also had a good laugh when I saw that the first time!

I’ll second the fact that more civility is needed. Ppl should be able to get their point across without being gross. I’ll also add that, pls for the love of God ppl need to stop assuming things and then presenting them as fact. We have the words, maybe, if, might, could, etc for a reason ppl.

Ok, finally found my cfg file…is UserCfg.opt but:
I realize that the 2 Lod values coming from General Settings.

If I change manually the Lod’s values to 4.000 and I restart the sim this comes back to 2.000 in the cfg file as per General Settings manual adjustable max value.

Also, there is a workaround to set the Lod’s at 4.000 instead the maximum that seems 2.000 ?
Thank You @Hugothester

PS: in attachment the two tests wit Lod’s 1.000 and 2.000
As You can see with Lod’s 2.000 a light tower appears…bingo

You have to change your user.cfg to 4 and then set it to “read only” so the game won’t edit it!

Ok…this I suspect to do and You confirmed this…now I will test

Good luck tell me how it goes!

1 Like

Ugly banding in clouds

Macroblocking is form forum jpg compression.

Spectacular: with Lod’s at 4.000 some new objects appearing and also the rain is very well.
Now I will fly in order to verify the perfeormances.
Thanks for now

PS Obviously now I have to remember to ulock the cfg file if I change somthing in Options

Glad it helped! Try it with good weather and you will see how much of a difference it makes.
You should also try finding your sweet spot, I chose 400 because I play in 4k, but maybe if you play in 2k or Full HD you can go higher without loosing too many fps :wink:

1 Like

now I will start from Torino LIMF (thunderstorm) to Genua LIMJ few clouds at the moment and I will report
also in streaming on my twitch channel:

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotax57

Good luck for me

On the glideslope a mere 7nm out and I can’t even tell what the runway is at Syracuse Intl. This was much easier in SU4. I am maxed out on LODs and many other graphical settings.
This isn’t enjoyable at all.

3 Likes

I tried this too, but it does not fix the draw distance at all.
You can see in SU4 you can recognize a city with buildings, while in SU5 there is mostly artifacts with some occasional building. Taken at roughly same height/distance from.

4 Likes

Ok with Lod’s at 4,000 nice landscapes and airplane internals.
My test is doing in Ultra settings and I reach about 22 FPS average.
My GPU is Nvidia 2060 Super. Now is not good time to buy new GPU’s, very expensive if avaiable.
I think to set very high as quality with Lod’s at 4.000
I’m surprised for the new reveleated objects with this settings.

thank You again and Bye

Thanks @Hugothester for suggestions

1 Like

You are welcome!

Even at thumbnail size I can tell which image in generating better contrasting and details at a distance. Making flying by eyesight much more manageable.
As I pointed out before there is much more to it than LOD decrease for objects. Shadowing, and lighting renders a lot worse than before. Details are being lost at farther viewing distances and even in the foreground, as demonstrated in this video screencap. Which is leading to an image which looks compressed together.

1 Like

To be honest, the photo on the left doess seem of a higher quality, but your performance there is = UNLPAYABLE / UNFLAYABLE.
Did you fly like that, lol ??

Oh my…okay okay, will get back with the LA !

P.S.
Yesterday I flew round St Fernando valley and haven’t noticed issues with the scenery.
I however noticed issues a few times since the Xbox launch. The servers are probably loaded beyond imahination and this is a huge challenge, the team is learning a lot from all of this.
I am just thankful for the new simulator…

1 Like

Seriously interested what you will see. I must say things looked better today, I went from Orange County to San Diego along the coast and things looked way better then yesterday. Will visit Las Vegas today and Salt Lake City tomorrow.