Performance Degradation with 1.14.5.0. Upgrade

MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner (they come as a combo). Get them. It’s the best way to troubleshoot performance issues in games. You can monitor pretty much whatever you want.

2 Likes

I had this issue just after the sim launched and I was able to temporarily solve it using the infamous “process lasso” workaround: https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/ifle4x/huge_performance_booststutter_reduction_by/.

The problem was due to a conflict between FS2020 and Windows 10’s CPU thread priority optimization. The difference is that back then the low performance lasted 10 seconds or so. With this latest update it’s now constant after it hits. I may try reinstalling Process Lasso and testing again.

I honestly have spent more time waiting for fixes than actually playing this ■■■■ sim. I stopped after the release performance issues, then the tall buildings, the spikes, the VFR window crashing the sim… I really regret the $60 I spent.

6 Likes

For the ones that installed the Sim thru Steam, I discovered that the update did not follow the installation path!!! Instead, it installed to the default drive (C:)
I ended up with a double installation, one on the default drive and the second where it should be, on my drive D:. Steam interface still show my installation on my drive D:, which was changed by the Sim… My game would load up and it would slowly go to 11 FPS and then crash. I have a monster of a PC , all cores at 5 gig, 64 gig DDR4, Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC, all NVME drives, 1 Gig fiber connection and still, my frames went from an average of 45-50 FPS (60 FPS at altitude) to 11 FPS! Crappy update release, if you ask me. My Honeycomb quadrant lights were not longer working because my community folder on drive D: where the Honeycomb files were, was no longer active. The worst update I’ve ever seen. I think I have the solution, but I am still working on it. I went to the Steam app and had it MOVE the FS installation to the default, then I manually deleted the old folders in my drive D: I am downloading all my market place now and once I get all the goodies installed, I will move the installation back to where it should be, on my drive D:… I’ll keep y’all posted on the results.

Get HWinfo64, it is free and will give you so much info, plus it keeps a history of it. Everything you can imagine can be monitored from this app.

1 Like

Don’t know if more RAM really helps.
I’ve got 32 gigs and since the last update there is a stuttering when I used the accelerated flight via “r” and “Ctrl” + “+”.
Noticed in the process manager that flight simulator.exe uses over 25 GB of RAM. Is that normal?
Didn’t have the framedrops before.

i7 10700k, rtx 3070, ddr4 3200 1920*1080p almost Ultra Settings

Count me in to the people with 10-15 FPS less since the update this week. My System is I10900, with 64 GB ram and a 3090 GTX card and yet in clouds over a city where I was getting 35 Fps I am now at 20 FPS with occasional dips lower. CPU usage is under 50%. haven’t checked GPU usage yet but will tomorrow.

My settings are mostly Ultra with object detail at 160 but now I am at high with detail at 130. I use the Samsung G9 49 inch monitor so not 4K. My system should be fine and before the update it was!

Josh

2 Likes

Same her with similar hardware configuration - massive frame drop!!!

2 Likes

Unfortunately from the last update I’m on the same boat too with my i7-10700K. My logical core #15 is at 16/20% and the #16 saturated at 100%. Do the math : it mean my physical core #8, the last one like picture of OP, is over 120% :thinking:
So I lost lot of fps in monitor and VR too. I hope they will find quickly what’s going on.

2 Likes

same problem for me, look a this video that I made near Miami …

6 Likes

Not that keen on the new update. During any flight my fps suddenly falls from 50-60 to mid 20 taxing all of the cpu cores to 100%. Grainy clouds are also back… mehh.

I5-9600K @ 4,9 Ghz
32GB RAM
GTX1080 OC 8GB

2 Likes

I have it too, but for looking at your GPU/CPU stats at a glance while flying, you can’t beat afterburner.

Exactly my thoughts, for me this update made the VR experience much smoother.

But you adressed the issues to the false recipients. At least thats the feeling I got from your post.

Most of the posters here are with this sim from the release (like you) and they wish do to everything (of course most of them just want to enjoy the sim) but posting such problems here. Please assume that a lot of them do computers and software for many many years and understand very well what is a problem with their rig or with their software.

The devs should be grateful that there is such an dedicated and attentive community.

The performance problems are massive, also on my system, and, also, I changed nothing without installing an mandatory update.

In short: Such “The problem sits always in front of the computer” posting brings nothing to the better. You better spending time flying on your magical LAPTOP.

11 Likes

glad at least you can enjoy the game, cheers.

So you did not read my post.

I am especially NOT Talking about the person in front of the screen … i am talking on a million different hard and software combinations that can mess up a flightsim.

And Ps … my laptop is not magic … it is as clean as can be and up to date. Thats all. Like i said not even email on it. I wanted to tell what i told so perhaps people can use it as a TIP

But leave it … this hostile environment that is created by some people is horrible.

Have fun ( or not … why do do I care in the end )

2 Likes

Brilliant!

1 Like

Here’s some more data I gathered. Whenever I start a flight, performance is fine albeit a little lower than before the SU3. Then after what seems a random amount of time, all my CPU cores jump to very high load, with core #6 being at or very close to 100% at all times. So there are two issues here: 1. SU3 is overloading 1 core which causes the constant but not dramatic fps drop for some and 2. At random intervals the sim overloads the remaining cores, causing a bottleneck for the GPU.

To correct what I said above, it is NOT constant but this performance degradation will last for about 50 seconds (I timed it). I cleared the rolling cache and updated everything in the content manager just in case. I have zero mods installed.

Here is a graph of the CPUs going haywire (the CPU plateau lasted around 55 seconds):

Here is the contrasting GPU dip:

9 Likes

Same issue in VR. I5 8600K, 32gb ram, GTX1080Ti.

After UK Update, continuous 38fps (I have a 4K and 2160p res in the sim) With 70% scale rendering. After UK update, fps drops in 34-36 and sometimes 30. I reduced at 60% render scale and minimum change of fps, about +/-2.
After last update have random drops that reach to 7-9 fps and continuous now is 33. A lot of airfiels is imposible to land because approach at 8-10 fps is annoying.
I don’t really want to spend more money in airports or planes to have flights that are unpleasant at times

1 Like

After UK update, I was getting a great running sim. After this update, I am getting poor GPU performance. I’m glad I’m not alone, and this always gives me time to go back to FSX until there is a hotfix. I run MSFS with zero mods, btw.

3 Likes