Performance drop 15-20% after World Update 3 (1.13.16.0)

PacificSet90456,

I’ve read about the issues that a poor pc display/ monitor can have on the overall display of a game and took this info into consideration. Thanks for the reminder. :slightly_smiling_face:
However, all was well with my MSFS 2020 experience until the last world update.
I have been able to regain some smoothness and less stuttering by making video card adjustments.
I’m not looking to get 50-60 fps, just a return to what was 25-30 above 1000 feet and 7-15 close to street level.
Thanks for responding. Happy flying.

John

Yep, sitting here exactly 10FPS on the menu after a fresh launch. Rolling cache disabled and AI traffic disabled. So frustrating

Edit: This was resolved by turning off AI traffic AND multiplayer. I will say that live weather is stuck on inaccurate winds aloft like when the sim first launched.

1 Like

I started seeing these intermittent drops in performance after WU3 as well. I’ve got a modest system (specs below) – certainly not top-of-the line – but had been getting acceptable fps (20-30 fps) in most areas outside the hand-made airports and large photogrammetry cities, with the light aircraft and with mostly “medium” graphics. (With a few on High and Clouds on Ultra)

After WU3, nearly every flight that has lasted over ~10 minutes I’ve seen drops for upwards of a minute or so. It has happened in all the airplanes I regularly fly (C152, C172, Bonanza, Baron)

Since getting the sim back in November, I have regularly monitored performance by putting Task Manager on my second screen. The image below captured one of the many performance drops I experienced in a recent Baron flight over the state of Kansas in the USA. The weather was sunny with few clouds. For those of you who know Kansas, you’ll recognize that there would be very little load on the sim :slight_smile: there’s just not much there.

As seen in the image, the CPU and GPU drop at the same time as a spike in HDD activity followed by lower HDD activity. Note that the GPU memory is not full and there’s modest Wi-FI activity.

Most of the time (but not always) I see this spike in HDD activity at the same time the CPU and GPU drop rapidly. This did not happen before WU3.

My system Specs
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz
Storage: 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gbps HDD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB
Monitor (primary): ViewSonic VX3268-2KPC-MHD 1440p running at 144Hz
Broadband: Fiber optics, 200Mbps

• dcc

Hi All,

Just a quick update on my pc issues of poor frame rates and stuttering which seemed to occur after WU3.
I was able to “solve” this issue by returning my video card (Radeon 7800) to its original factory settings and suspending an auto scan function on my antivirus software. While there is still some minor stuttering, my frame rates have actually increased a bit at street level in NYC (14-16 fps) and above 1000 feet (26-30 fps) again over NYC flying in a Cessna 172.
This is the best I can expect from my older Dell system and I’m satisfied. All flights appear smooth again, with only minor occasional stutters.

John

Since World Update 3 I noticed that 2 out of 6 of my CPU cores would run at full 100% dropping my FPS dramatically. The only thing that would bring it down back to normal is to have the task manager open. So now I always have it running when using the sim and the performance is a lot better.

And would opening a File Explorer window and making it active be producing the same positive impact on perfs on your system?

I have concerns that Microsoft Windows Defender “may” be causing some issues (at least for me).

Looking at Task Manager there are sometimes that MSFS-WD is active and using 3.0% or more CPU usage. I “think” for me that may be unusual. There have been some times that my GPU went down to 60% and CPU up to 45%. Normally it is 100% and 23%.

That is true, I also disable the windows defender when running the sim. It was using at least 6% of my cpu.

1 Like

Running the File Explorer window does not make a difference. Only having the task manager open fixes the issue. Here are a couple of screens. Approaching heavy photogrammetry areas trigger the issue. 2 Cores are at 100% (main thread is core 6).

Issue still there with File Explorer open.

Opening the task manager fixes the issue:

Core i5 8600k at 4.9Ghz, 48Gb Ram at 3200mhz, RTX 3080, on SSD.

Definitely something going on, came into Gatwick about 30 mins ago on ILS 26L. At about 2,000ft, and 8 miles out, my laptop just came to a shuddering halt, literally frame by frame speed. I have a feeling the VFR map is casuing a memory issue or something as closing that, I got an instant boost back to near normal. Granted it was raining, high wind and low visibility but never done that before.

1 Like

I thought I was fine, but no.

3090/10900k, Never had a issue, avg 45fps ultra 4k.

With update get 15fps in Florida, photogram OFF. I’ve never seen anything below 30 even in NYC or LA.

I did notice my GPU temp was running about 15c cooler than normal, so clearly its become underutilized.

hmmm, you got me thinking about something :slight_smile:

Can you try this: go to Task Manager Options menu, disable Always On Top…

Is this still working as before, or as with a file explorer window opened then?

In my test Always On Top was already disabled. I have it running but I don’t have it minimized.

I also want to add that this isn’t the first time I’ve seen this issue. The first time I saw it was in the update right before world update 3. After testing I came to the conclusion that the fsacademy ifr in the community folder was triggering the issue so my fix was to have the community folder empty and restart the pc. Without a restart the issue would still be there. Back then I did not try having the task manager running.

When world update 3 was installed I saw the issue even when the community folder was empty, that’s when I realized that the task manager would fix it.

Having the community folder empty or not does not change the outcome. I only have fsacademy vfr and ifr in it.

1 Like

yeah flight simulator is not open gl its direct x 11 and it doesn’t support nvidia reflex

SoCal also bad stutters now. In VR.

1 Like

Yesterday I saw the same - with task manager open the game was running more smoothly, while before it was a really bad stutterfest also with low FPS, and this within a pre-cached photogrammetry area.
On the other hand, the low trees radius seems not to be an issue within photogrammetry areas, I only saw the small circle of trees in areas without PG.
Running with high render scaling and high antialias settings to force 100% GPU load helps a bit with stuttering, but clearly lowers FPS.
All this wasn’t before sim update 3. They definitely broke something while trying to optimize the game. Sure, memory footprint has lowered, but given the low RAM prices it’s not such a problem with 32 GB.

I did a seven-hour flight yesterday from Nevada to New York. When I started in Nevada I had 14Gb memory being used. When I arrived in New York I had 21Gb memory usage. My system has 32Gb.

I don’t think there is a reason for the sim to hold onto an extra 7Gb of memory over time as a flight continues. The flight log entry is not “that” big. :slight_smile:

I have noticed during stuttering my GPU usage drops down to 20 to 30 percent. It usually hangs around 70 to 90 when its buttery smooth and I’ve even seen 99-100 percent.

I am curious as to why the GPU usage drops when the stuttering occurs or is the stuttering caused by the drop in GPU usage? If so what is causing the GPU usage to drop in the first place?

System specs are i9-10900k, RTX3090, 32gm ram…

1 Like

It’s the CPU, or rather one thread having problems, maxing out one logical processor. The GPU usage drops since it has nothing to do but wait for the CPU to ask for the next frame.

Check in the task manager, performance, CPU, view logical processors. One will be maxed when your GPU usage drops and FPS tanks.

1 Like