Periodic black out with HP Reverb G2

Occasionally my HP Reverb G2 screen will black out for several seconds before starting again. I bought a more powerful computer recently and the problems still occurs. I can’t seem to find any solutions. I don’t think it is related to sound because the sound level is not high. I shouldn’t be related to pc power because I have a high spec pc with a 3080. I’ve got all the latest drivers as well.

Hi,

I have seen the same behavior with my G2. Not very often, so not terribly concerned at this point. I’m pretty sure it’s related to the headset and not the computer … I’m running i7 9700 and 2080, so less horsepower than you, but never had any issues with the computer running MSFS.

It does look like the issues that have been described and attributed to power overload relating to sound. Like you though, I’m not seeing this at high volume - mostly just in cruise with the usual airplane noise.

I can’t give you a solution, only the comfort of knowing that it’s not just you or your setup!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I can confirm that. Not often, but I have this behavior every now and then. Running an i7800k and 2080ti, 32GB Ram. I also have no solution for that and I think its an issue with the Reverb G2 itself.

Same here but with a much lower power rig (see below). I was however pleasantly surprised when I received my G2 a couple weeks back that the performance for me is generally really good with many MSFS options on high or even ultra!

Like others, no solution to this issue but only experiencing it once or twice a flight. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to coincide with a sideways head movement (possibly rapid movement) for example I sometimes notice a flash out of the corner of my eye and when I react to this by moving my head to see where it came from the headset will go black for a few seconds. Might have something to do with the tracking system and the system trying to figure out where my head is looking to generate the graphics??? I need to do more testing.

CPU- Intel i7 8700K
GPU- ASUS GTX 1070 Ti
RAM- 32GB

Same here. Panel going bit black and bit dark blue for a couple of seconds randomly every 30 min or so.

I read it somewhere else:
Amazingly, this is actually a volume problem!
If you have loud low frequency noises on the headset, the G2 shuts down the displays.
(I read it is some electrical safeguarding - have not understood the details).
So usually you can prevent it by lowering the volume!

Seams to some kind of design flaw. So sad …

I’ve experienced the same. I don’t really have anything to add to the conversation at this point, but wanted to “subscribe” to the thread to get notified of future posts, and there’s no way to do that without posting… So… I’m posting.

Have a lovely day!

Does the volume overlay also pop up when they return? I’m starting to suspect that the USB is dying and resetting itself, but not going down long enough to fault out of VR. It’s very reminiscent of the USB power issues I experienced on my Odyssey+.

I get this too. Not witnessed it in any other vr games.

Not too often fortunately.

Definitely happens for a few seconds when I switch on one of my touch controllers (when I want to capture some photos).

I have had issues with my G2 completely crashing with a black screen and intermittent black screen without crashes I contacted HP and we weren’t able to pinpoint the issues but I did send my headset in to see if they can figure it out. This issue I have tends to show up in DCS and FS2020. Other titles usually didn’t crash but Assetto Corsa Competizion did once. I will keep you posted what I hear back from then. I hope it’s the headset because I’ve tried everything else I could think of to get it to stop.

I had something odd when watching video on the G2. The left panel would go completely black followed a second later by the the right panel before both panels recovering. On doing some research the conclusion was corrupt nvidia drivers. So doing a reinstall making sure you select a custom install and tick the box for removing the old drivers fixed the issue.

I have noticed the same issue but it does not happen very much. I have also not had any luck in finding a solution. My advice is to get some altitude so at least when it happens you are not doing aerobatics at 100AGL. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same (or similar) issue with my Samsung Odyssey+ WMR headset. At random time intervals the headset displays go black and when I check the application window (that usually mirrors the headset display as two circular pictures) these are frozen up too. It usually unfreezes after a time (sometimes a few seconds, sometimes nearer a minute).

I’ve tried with and without the openxr preview enabled, and with old and new NVidia drivers. Nothing seems to make a difference.

My PC specs: Ryzen 3600, 32gb DDR4, M.2 SSD, NVidia 2060 GPU (asus rog strix).

Thanks for all the replies. I suspect the problem might be a driver issue. Firstly, I can now tell when I’m going to have problems because odd horizontal lines flashing across the screen indicate that blackouts will follow. If I take the usb lead out and then put it back, things get back to normal. I must admit that I haven’t thoroughly checked the sequence of actions but the point I’m making is that it’s related to the usb input of the controller.

It goes black when your volume is too high and the application is sending a lot of low frequency sounds to the headset. It’s drawing too much power and the screen goes black. I’ve observed this several times with my own headset and it’s always fixed by turning down the volume.

1 Like

@Migganimon, you’re not the first person with that theory, but I can’t say I think it’s accurate.

First off, when it happens to me it’s typically just business as usual, and me doing something I’ve done many times before, meaning no unusual sounds are being sent to the device. Second, even if that is correct, and somehow I’m sending more sound during these times, it seems like that would fall under the category of design flaw, whether hardware or software. Lastly, when it does happen, except in rare instances, I don’t even have enough time to reach for the volume knob, as by the time I even notice it, it’s over.

For the exceptions to the 1-2 second max “rule”, it not only blacks out the display, the entire sim freezes, but only temporarily (like maybe 5-10 seconds) while it works out whatever it needs to work out. Sound stops, too, so volume adjustments at that point are irrelevant. So, I guess my point is (assuming I actually HAVE a point), I don’t think that’s the problem.

1 Like

Contact HP. Getting the shakes waiting on mine to return from them. When my screen went black usually it’s accompanied by a ctd and mixed reality portal app crashing as well.

I’m curious, does everyone here having the volume issue during their blackout have an X570 motherboard? I have the MSI tomahawk x570 and could only get the headset to work on a specific USB port on the motherboard panel with the dongle.

I’ve already disabled the sleep feature in device manager for the reverb g2.

I’m not z370.

@Tensorflow1113, Z490 here…