Physics Model Needs an Overhaul (ASAP)

You need to sell this idea to Hollywood, or better yet, write a book. It would be a technical take on the classic “fish out of water” storyline, and would be sure to sell. Hurry up, though, I’m about to retire and I might do it myself!! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Actually, I’m betting both will get the plane on the ground…one way or another. Whether you walk away or not is a different story.

5 Likes

lmao ya I guess that’s accurate.

Yes he is. And if you read many of his posts, you realize just deeply knowledgeable and experienced he is in the subject matter. In software engineering, we would call him a “domain expert”.

Part of my enjoyment of the sim is reading the posts of all the armchair pilots who argue with the experts on the forum. And trust me, there are MANY true experts here in aviation, instrumentation, FAA procedures, software architecture, design, and development, business, and on and on.

One thing though, Nijntje91 – I call him “Ninja” – is a grouchy old cuss. :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks I guess, especially the grouchy part :crazy_face::joy:. Years of working as classroom instructor, flight instructor and technical pilot helps I guess :innocent:.

2 Likes

Look up this guy’s ^^^ credentials, too. He gives Ninja a run for his money. That makes TWO airline pilots with huge amounts of experience and knowledge participating in the thread. If someone wants to argue with them, I just have one thing to say:

“Really!!?”

3 Likes

Maybe its just me, the models I’ve so far tried in MSFS2020 (including mods of CJ4 and A320NX) “float forever” on flare. It’s a thin line between lift and stall on approach, and the urge to trim excessively gets me. I often end up floating past the touchdown markers. Flying like this I would never pass as crew on Ryanair, I guess :wink:
Aircrafts also climb with ease, perhaps within their specifications.
I am no expert, only tried flying some singles and a twin propeller IRL on occasions when (professional) friends offered me the chance. But I have spent a tremendous amount of time tinkering with flightsimulators since early days of Bruce Artwick. Last seven years heavily in X plane with “the love of my life”, the IXEG 737, a fantastic rendition of the classic Boeing 737-300.
Flight physics in FS2020 are different, and takes time to adjust to.
Descends sometimes puzzle me, why did somone fill my wings with helium?

Besides that I really need a totally new rig for this resource hog! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Don’t forget @PZL104

1 Like

I am surprised there aren’t people leaving the forums in a panic. The number of posts written by Grouchy Old Cuss and as Yeti described me a few days ago, “likely to stab you with his fork”, casual readers must be nearly afraid to chime in.

2 Likes

Ya I was never “arguing” with anyone, I feel willisxdc mostly agrees with what I’m saying, the 3rd party aircraft will make a big difference in realism. I don’t really feel any sim is anything like real life, I just have experience in GA aircraft, PPL but that was 15 years ago I did most of my flying and I haven’t flown in years now.

I also have a Computer Analyst degree so I understand a bit about the complexities behind the scenes.

I’m just super happy Microsoft is back in the sim world and I can’t go back to older sims, I didn’t like FSX’s flight models at all, felt like a sky train. I like MSFS, I like how you bounce around more like I remember. feels more natural. I agree though it definitely needs work. But it also takes time.

Like I said before too, if it was 100% realistic nobody would want to play and we would all still be stuck on old platforms forever.

4 Likes

Good point – that’s THREE – and he should be joining shortly now that you @'ed him.

I’m a little afraid to make fun of him like I do you and Willis. He’s ex-military and I don’t think he approves of my antics. I’m definitely not what you would call “buttoned up”!

1 Like

I would defer to @anon50268670 in most topics involving the new technology, (that’s anything with an led).
I have spent the majority of my career flying to places most pilots would only go to by dogsled in aircraft that probably should be hanging in the Smithsonian. No offence “Ninja”, but I tired of the ‘bus route’ part of aviation pretty quick.

1 Like

I’m originally Dutch, we don’t take ourselves too serious normally and are a little too direct at times, you could also call it a lack of tact :joy:.

3 Likes

It is getting boring after some time. I miss flying the Jetstream 32 up and down the Adriatic coast without autopilot or flight director, only basic GPS and FOs straight from flight school…

2 Likes

I’ved added a topic to the upcoming Q&A, let’s vote and add those critical aspects to the thread
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flight-model-physics-improvements/351000

2 Likes

I don’t have an Adriatic. :frowning:

I had the most fun of my career in a B-25 Mitchell air tanker, dousing forgotten campfires in the Rockies.

Now that would be when we know they nailed the physics. Smoke filled valleys with fire induced winds, turbulence and weather. When they can model that, my Visa will be ready.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree with you on the wind. It’s really hard to nail good crosswind takeoffs and landings.

Good input. I think it’s also the base of the physics model that’s off, not just the individual GA planes, which I don’t expect a ton from. When the core flight dynamics are off, it won’t allow for 3rd party developers to create very realistic models like what other sims have.

Like I said before too, if it was 100% realistic nobody would want to play and we would all still be stuck on old platforms forever.

Sort of, although I’m not asking for 100% realism, just a physics model that exceeds X-plane and P3D. Flight realism won’t draw anyone away from the game, that’s more UI and game stuff, plus MSFS lets you edit the realism which is a great feature to attract to a larger audience.

1 Like

Haha. I try to stay respectful and positive to everyone. I see a lot of comments here were pretty serious for a computer program lol.

2 Likes

Haha great post! I agree. The landings are super floaty, and the CJ4 climbs like a rocket.

1 Like