Pico 4 with Microsoft Store Version of MSFS

Hi there, I’m interested to buy a Pico 4 but wondering if it works with MSFS that has been bought from the Microsoft store?

Reason for asking is that I see that Pico 4 can stream all my steam VR games, but as MSFS was bought from Microsoft and is not part of my steam library, this is why I was wondering if it would work.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Philip.

I can confirm that it works - I run Virtual Desktop (costs €20 on Pico Store) as the Pico Streaming Software has it’s issues (updates coming).
What I do is launch MSFS through the Virtual Desktop then change to VR mode either in the menu or when loaded into a flight. I can recommend the OXR toolkit as well for scaling etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply @Spiff1e!

That’s good to hear as I could not consider the Pico 4 if it wouldn’t run MSFS.

How do you find the performance of the Pico - are the gauges etc readable?

I currently have a HP reverb G2 (now broken) and I found it very hard to read the gauges due to the small sweet spot for the headset. I’m hoping the Pico 4 would be a bit better in that respect?

Thanks again, Philip!

3 Likes

Hi again Philip :slight_smile:
As the Pico 4 is standalone it does not have Displayport or HDMI, only Wireless PCVR (Or USB workarounds) - so it’ll be a bit different than the Reverb. No cable is easy to get used to!
The Pico4 has 4k screens with Pancake lenses which in my opinion gives a better picture with a much larger sweetspot, so the gauges are very readable (this is also affected by DLSS/FSR/TLAA ingame settings). Apart from the displayport/wired connections I would say the P4 is clearly better. As a plus, you’ll not have to use WMR anymore…
It’s fairly lightweight, and very reasonably priced.
Edit: The Pico store is not as well stocked as Quest - but the OS is much more open and you can sideload apps.

1 Like

Wow sounds fantastic @Spiff1e - I think that has made up my mind what my Christmas present (to myself!) is! :laughing:

1 Like

I have a reverb g2 also do you think I could benefit in clarity by moving to a pico 4?

1 Like

I’ve only used the Reverb G2 a few hours so there are others with much deeper experience in it than me, but I would say it’s a clear upgrade in all aspects apart from the lack of wired solution (latency). Well the audio solution is better on HP but I use a headset in any case.

2 Likes

I’ve got the Pico 4 now and early days yet but I have to say, I’m impressed. I notice that I can see where the runways are on grass airfields whereas before with the G2 it all just looked like an even field of grass, you couldn’t tell where the runways were.

Further updates as I play more!

1 Like

I see it’s possible to use the Open XR Toolkit with a Pico 4 and also to use tethering either with a usbC cable or via an ethernet cable to my router with an adaptor to the USB-C lead (which can also have a charge port on the adaptor).

My problem is I don’t now which version of Virtual Desktop to buy, as there is the wired Steam version and a Wireless Pico 4 version, available from their shop. As I intend to use tethering for the lower latency and more secure connection (also i don’t have a WIFI 6 modem/router) which version of Virtual Desktop do I need?

You need the Pico headset version.

1 Like

Thanks, much appreciated.

Yes, I have the pico headset version of Virtual Desktop - I don’t have a WiFi 6 router either, but it works just fine wirelessly!

Also (on my computer) I found setting AA to TAA (in the flight simulator settings) made the image much sharper with this headset.

1 Like

Hi All

I have also the Pico 4 and it has been a great first 2 days with steam vr and Virtual Desktop (bought thrugh Pico store) through my WIFI connection in my living room.
BUT now my big qustion is:
I would like to play MSFS offcourse (one of the main reason why I did get Pico 4).
My PC are in my office and it has been working so great with the upabove.
But I don’t have good wifi in my office, so therfore I have bought my self a link cable (USB 3.2 to USB C as for Quest 2).
I have my MSFS through my Gamepass subscription (MSFS installed on my pc).

So how can I get this to work? MSFS running at my PC with bad wifi, so therfore should be run with cable and the MSFS runs with gamepass xbox app on my PC.

Hi all,

I need help, I have Pico 4 and MSFS from MS store. I follow these steps:

• Start Virtual Desktop on PC
  • Start Virtual Desktop on Pico 4
  • Start MSFS
  • Start VR
    In the PC monitor, I see the window split (eye sx and eye dx) on Pico 4 I see the loader forever (white ring turning)

I check for interfering apps, but all is ok.
Can someone help me?

Start VD Streamer
Stat VD on Pico4
Start MSFS from the Games tab on VD
Wait for it to finish and switch to VR

Hi,

I can’t start from the tab games, because it’s not present: I have not the steam version, and MSN’s it’s not present in the list.

I run it from the desktop, but the steps are similar.

Yesterday it run, I’m out of the airplane and after 3 seconds it is stuck. I get out my headset, and I see in the pc monitor that if I move the headset the picture split is moving, but when I put back the headset I see, on my PICO, only the spinner and I listen a music :-/

Solved!

I try with this configuration:
I connect PC, via wire) and Pico 4 to a second router (only 5Ghz).
I connect the second router to the main via cable for the internet.

With this configuration and it works!

I hope this can help someone else :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, I am lost on how to get this pico 4 running with the store version…I have gotten as far as launching MSFS int he pico 4 using virtual desktop but it just appears as a floating window…when I hit the ctrl tab to go into VR i get no headset detected…any advice?

1 Like

Virtual Desktop needs SteamVR

When you say you confirm it works - are you talking about the version of MSFS bought on the Microsoft Store? Because obviously the version bought on Steam would work… but Microsoft Store doess not seem to open in VR for me at all using Virtual Desktop on Pico 4 headset. Says can’t find OpenXR runtime or something. And i can’t change Steam developer settings to OpenXR.