PIMAX vs Oculus RIFT CV1

I have a RIFT that I purchased a couple of years ago. I’m thinking of taking the plunge and upgrading to the PIMAX 8K X. Has anyone done this… gone from a RIFT to a PIMAX AND… would it be worth it? Thanks in advance.

First of all, you can’t run Pimax until they release eye tracking which is god knows when. Period. That out of the way, it doesn’t have the best hardware not software compatibility with MSFS, and the Pimax forums are on fire RN because there’s just no good solution. If you are going to upgrade my only suggestion is to go Index and make sure you have at least a 1080-2080 grade GPU, and a good CPU. Which realistically, a whole PC + Index costs less than a Pimax and is better experience for most people :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Good luck with Pimax support, drivers and compatibility :face_with_head_bandage:

Great info. Im not familiar with INDEX. Will google it

I guess my NEXT question would be OCULUS RIFT CV1 vs INDEX!

System Specs:
Power Supply: Corsair RM850X
MB: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
DUAL 2GB NVMe Drives. One in TURBO M.2 slot.
CPU: Intel i9-9900KF 3.60 ( I overclock MSFS2020 to 4.8 when possible.)
RAM: 32GB Corsair RGB RAM (No O/C of RAM)
Windows 10 64
GRAPHICS: nVidia GeFORCE RTX 2080 TI
Res: 2560X1040 (144Hx)
Dual DELL S2716DG Monitors.
Onboard Audio.

Setting the in sim res to 80% and then setting the oculus drivers to 150% produces very good results in my CV1. I don’t want to start any HMD wars, but it’s generally accepted that the Oculus drivers have better performance than steamvr.

The ability to set the actual framerate to just 30, but have the oculus drivers interpolate back up to 60fps gives the sim greater headroom to allow higher settings and a crisper display. Having a higher res HMD, which you then have to blur down to get better performance means that the end result might even things out. The g3 on the other hand is a different scenario due to it’s almost screendoor free image.

Hi,

I don’t really follow you on this.
I own a Pimax 8K+ myself, I don’t have the eye tracking module (which by the way is available…) and enjoy MSFS since day the 22th in VR.

I have to admint, I had a Quest 1, and the Pimax.
Quest is almost plug and play, it is not the case for the pimax.
But after a few twicks, I think this is the best headset for the simmers, due to his clarity and his FOV.

I meant to run it at full res smh. I did get it wrong on the eye tracking thing tho.
Pimax is really niche, and because of that you need to constantly work around the lack of support for it. I honestly will not recommend it basically ever, because it’s just not worth it unless you happen to be a huuuge VR Nerd and either a really good saver or a person with too much disposable income, and since I have no way to measure any of those three, let alone at the same time, it’ll always be a no from me. Not saying it’s a bad headset, it’s just well, the headset from the guys that have been developing controllers for half a decade. :man_shrugging:

Thank you for sharing. I too is using the CV1 and gor a few days now still haven’t found the dweet spot gor my set up. Could you please be specific on your settings, if you don’t mind? Which Oculus drivers did you set to 250% and specific setting that you set in the game? Thanks in advance.

Set Pixel override to 2.0
Enable ASW30 as per the the instructions here

I am always tweaking, but here are my latest settings after doing the 2 things above …

Dear FlyingAlbert. Can you clarify if you use the STEAM software or running FS from the MS Store?
I sadly purchased it from the MS STORE directly and did not found a solution to get my Pimax 8kX running yet.
But I’d be happy if anyone can give me more infos on that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.