Pitch too high in may planes

We are talking about the approach case only and especially when flying on instruments.

You don’t want to move/turn your head when you are constantly scanning the instruments.

1 Like

Ah, thanks. I don’t fly instruments generally (and would never want to in real life).

One of the most satisfying experiences. Dropping out of the clouds at the minimum exactly on the extended runway centerline after a raw data ILS approach (no AP, no FD)

6 Likes

Same. Both C172 and JPL‘s C152 approach slightly nose down which is correct. Any pitch up attitude indicates a too low approach and/or speed for a single engine airplane.

1 Like

I like how OP has a hunch about the pitch attitudes of the planes. He askes the forums ro see what other people say.

everyone else: “tHe CaMeRa Is PoSiTiOnEd WrOnG”
“rAiSe YoUr SeAt”

OP, you are correct. Pitch and power settings are unflyable and inaccurate. The CL diagrams are stretched way too flat. Where wings should stall at 15°, they stall at 20-25° in game.

This combined with the massive throw on the elevators makes the planes just feel mushy and trash to fly.

All of this has been mentioned in numerous threads. All we can do is mod the planes ourselves for the time being. ASOBO probably wont do anything about it soon

2 Likes

I don’t know why you assume that stall AoA and AoA at approach speed are related.

The AoA on e.g. the 172 and A320 is actually correct (at least) at approach speed.

I haven’t flown 152s and 172s since many years, but according to many current 152/172 pilots, both aircraft are pretty close and both are certainly not ‘unflyable’.

2 Likes

Track IR does a good job for this head moving in the cockpit.
Problem is however to keep your head in the same position when it is needed in some phases of flight.
As already mentioned , it is all about attitude flying: airplane nose versus horizon and POV.

1 Like

AoA and Speed are 2 different things, however they are connected by the CL diagram.

Pitch and power isnt flyable, they do fly yeah, but i can also make the follow me car fly.

It’s true. Tried higher approach speeds with creaming the speeds of over the fence towards the threshold but not easy to find the sweet spot over there. The flare might get long or you’ll bounce the aircraft a couple a times if you force to touch the plane on the runway. I think it’s a miscalculation in programming on the right attitude of the aircrafts vs. Changing view settings and space bar techniques are no-no’s on this one.

Regards

When was the last time you’ve flown a 152 or 172 as a PIC if I may ask?

1 Like

like 3 weeks ago

The question was for @Leopoldville266

1 Like

How many degrees is the AoA off at approach speed on the 152/172?

edit: Just did a short test with the 172 and according to the AH I can’t get a higher AoA than ~14° with full flaps.

2 Likes

Abeam 70, flaps 10: 0°
Base 70 flaps 20: -1.5/-1°
Final… oof, i dont focus on pitch that much, more airespeed ofc.
But when going to flaps 30 or 40, i have to pitch down to like -3° while the plane is still doing 70 knots.

Shot field, depending on the weight and wind, 55 knots ish… The nose is definitely still down a tiny bit. Hard to recall.

Takeoff, 7.5° on the 172R and 8.5° on the CD-155 swap normally gets me around vy, 75-80 knots.

Note: im more of a butt flyer anyway, i dont focus too much on pitch and power as i dont have IFR yet.

are you measuring AoA or pitch?

No difference in unaccelerated level flight.

1 Like

Thats why you have these on bigger planes, mainly for CAT II/III approaches to have correct visibility and eye height, but a useful reference for correct seating position outside those conditions as well. The white ball must be hidden behind the red ball for correct seating position.

I made this photo from the front, imagine sitting in the left or right seat, you will be able to line-up the red ball to cover the white ball by moving the seat forward / aft and up / down.

This elevated seat position for landing option is bs anyway considering most small GA aircraft don’t even have the option to change seat height, neither should you change seat position for landing as discussed before. Made that mistake once or twice …

3 Likes

i need to try the default 172 again. perhaps its been improved.
however the diamonds are waaaaaaaay off.

What do do you mean?

The Daimonds are way off mainly because they are using the wrong airfoil in MSFS.

An approximate NACA 2412 like airfoil instead of the correct high lift Wortmann FX Series.
(Full flap stall AoA is also ~14°).

1 Like