Planning on buying 7800X3D for MSFS? Consider the 7900X3D

Same, ultrawide 3440x1440

1 Like

i live in switzerland :slight_smile: Idk how it is when you order from germany or EU in general.

1 Like

When we (I live in Germany) buy from a EU supplier the final price to the customer includes any import duties paid by the importer. VAT is charged at a local rate (within the EUā€™s framework) and is usually reclaimable for business use etc. Unless the EU has a specific trade agreement with a country or bloc outside of the EU then normal duties apply (for the importer). Iā€™m not sure this affects Swiss imports though.

Thank you so much for such a detailed write up, I really appreciate it.

It seems very strange though that your performance lows are in the 20ā€™sā€¦Iā€™m not sure how much AI traffic youā€™re running or which kind of AI, but Iā€™d imagine that your performance should be significantly higher. Of course, my expectation could be completely off, but reading reports of folks getting upwards of 60FPS in that situation makes me wonder.

Did you do this stuff as well to get the most out of your chip? 7000X3D Build REQUIRES THIS! - YouTube
Itā€™s not the most ā€œuser friendlyā€ setup, but it should significantly improve your performance.

For comparison sake, Iā€™m running a i9-11900K at 5.2; In the same exact scenario with TLOD at 200, Iā€™m averaging 25 FPS with AI traffic.

I went down a rabbit hole chasing that. I donā€™t see the service he mentions with all the latest drivers and bios updates. Additionally the setting in bios matches what he has. What I found is that if you open resource monitor and alt tab to it it is parking cores as it should but it reenables quickly with the alt tab so you have to be quick to see it. Thanks for posting the link, I had hoped for more improvement but I donā€™t think itā€™s there until there is better code optimization or better CPUs. Again it was a big step up from my 5900x and is much improved. But depending on your tolerance for stutters and low fps you still arenā€™t in a reasonable position to raise terrain LOD. As others have mentioned if it scaled by altitude or even better if the bespoke and third party airports had a setting flag that would automatically lower TLOD within range to allow for better performance most of the flight that would be appreciated. I have run this on three different systems and each time improvement but I donā€™t think Iā€™m likely to be happy anytime soon.

My AI so default traffic no addon or navigraph-for some reason on last build it was slowing performance slightly.

1 Like

Now the 7800X3D reviews are coming out it seems clear that itā€™s the easy bang for buck winner here. The amount of cache per core vs the number of cores comes out in favour of the 7800X3D for MSFS. Not having to park the second set of cores and the simplicity that brings may also be a factor which may or may not improve with time for those CPUā€™s that require it. Iā€™m waiting for the 7800X3D however long that takes.

3 Likes

Based on the reviews, the fact it only has one single CCD with 3D Cache improves a lot latency when compared with the other two. Even if it has lower clocks and lower cache.

Of course, considering just games (and simulators too, ok?).

Remember the cache is per CCX so the 7800X3D is not at a disadvantage here - technically only on max clocks. Even then, that figure is skewed because the higher end parts like the 7900X3D and 7950X3D boost higher on the non 3D CCX so that figure doesnā€™t translate directly for a game like MSFS where you want to be using the 3D CCX.

2 Likes

Full disclosure - I purchased the 7800X3D in the end but Iā€™m still intrigued by the performance of the 7900X3D.

Benchmarks which include both the 7800X3D and 7900X3D are hard to find so admitedly this is a tiny data set but in one of the few apples to apples comparisons (Tomā€™s hardware), the 7900X3D is slightly faster for MSFS than the 7800X3D.

While the argument could be made that the 7800X3D is faster in just about any other game, a counter argument could also be made that the difference in those other games is unlikely to be noticeable in real-world use and the 7900X3D beats the brakes off of the 7800X3D for any workload besides gaming.

I was lucky enough to get the 7800X3D at list price but I see now the street price at some resellers is higher than the price of the 7900X3D. At equal pricing my money would go to the 7900X3D.

Ref: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Gaming Benchmarks - AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Review: New Gaming Champ Beats Pricier CPUs | Tomā€™s Hardware (tomshardware.com)

1 Like

The catch is the 7900X3D has more L3 cache per core on the vCache CCX (both chips have 64MB of L3 cache on the vCache CCX, but on the 7900X3D itā€™s shared between 6 cores instead of 8).

The tests are all over the place. On other reviews, 7800x3d performs better. But most important, losing or winning, on all the tests the margins are really low. For this reason I would recommend to get the 7800x3d.

I would just save the extra money to upgrade in the future. People are already talking about zen 5 huge performance gains. LOL

3 Likes

Have you found any other reviews that include both the 7800X3D and 7900X3D for Flight simulator? I have not.

Thatā€™s assuming you can get the 7800X3D at list price. Current street prices have the 7800X3D at the same price or more expensive than the 7900X3D.

No, just the 7950x3d. But to be fair I donā€™t believe the extra 3d cache is would make any difference. I mean 1%-2% is the margin of error area.

For gaming they are even.

Fair enough. At list prices I think the nod goes to the 7800X3D, at scalper/inflated prices, the 7900X3D becomes a very compelling alternative.

My point is if MSFS is your main jam and youā€™re having difficulty obtaining a 7800X3D, the 7900X3D deserves serious consideration.

2 Likes

Sure, thatā€™s why I said above to get the cheapest. If you find the 7900x3d for a cheaper price, itā€™s definitely a no brainer.

Even more if you will use your pc with other softwares that use more cores.

1 Like

Now this looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8pbr845ihw

Unfortunately no MSFS benchmark, but in all those games the 7800X3D takes a beating from the 7900/7950X3D, albeit itā€™s close. Seems like the 7900 profits a lot from the extra cache per core and also higher boost clock. I am just wondering how that guy managed to achieve 5.6 GHz on the bigger chips or is this normal?

As the 7900 recently received a not so bad price cut in the US and probably soon will in the EU, which puts it much closer to the 7800X3D, it will be a no brainer to choose it over the 7800 IMO.

The big caveat is no MSFS benchmarks. Those have the 7800X3D ahead. They are all so close itā€™s best for most to just seek out the best deal and that is still the 7800X3D at retail pricing.

Not if you are running other software in parallel (FSLTL, Little Navmap etc.). Those apps are tied to the non-3D vcache cores on the 79xx. With the 7800 they are wasting resources and will likely result in lower performance.

7900X3D reviews and numbers are scarce, below are measurements done by a German PC publication, I posted it on the 7800X3D thread as well:

PCGH Redaktion:

3 Likes

Yep I get that and I think that point has already been well put but so far Iā€™ve only seen 1 comparison with that kind of test and the higher price chip was preferred. My concern is if you didnā€™t have a direct comparison like 99.9% of users wonā€™t then would you really be able to feel say the 7800 drop off a bit if that scenario was introduced, and is that small difference worth the approximate 25% retail price difference for most users.