Planning on buying 7800X3D for MSFS? Consider the 7900X3D

Well I hope you’re all right about the 7900x3d because I just ordered the chip, motherboard and ram to squeeze a bit more out of the sim with the Reverb G2 and running FSLTL. I’m currently running the 5800x3d and rtx4090 combo. I’ll try to give an idea of improvements in the form of rought percentages in an identical flight from today.

1 Like

You surely won’t regret it. So far benchmarks have shown that it is a great chip despite all the hate towards it, which is mainly due to the price tag though.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to hear your findings although you did have a pretty monstrous setup with the 5800X3D / 4090 already.

1 Like

Well after a struggle to physically change over the motherboard, ram and CPU I fired up MSFS and set up the same flight I made before the upgrade and was slightly dissapointed at the result. I basically got a 10% uplift from having a 5800x3d to 7900x3d. I did make a mistake in buying 32mb of ram instead of the 64mb I had installed with the 5800x3d but don’t think this would have made so much difference. I’m also pushing the sim by setting the render scale of my Reverb G2 to 200% for clarity in VR.
I’m certainly getting less stutters in VR and have gone from 40fps to 44fps (it’s a pretty stable 44fps though). I’m running FSLTL in the background and running a Buttkicker with SimShaker software.

I think the sim just needs a lot more optimisation which I don’t think we got in the last sim update.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with the uplift you have received given your investment. I am not surprised it wasn’t as earthshattering as you were hoping as the 5800X3D is already a very strong processor. If it makes you feel any better, your experience with any of the other 7000 series X3D would be pretty much identical.

I ended up getting the 7800X3D and while it’s better than the 7600X I had before, the differences are minimal TBH.

Hm strange. I did not expect an increase of 50% or so, but 10 % is definitely not that much. The switch from AM4 to AM5 alone should already gain you a few FPS due to DDR5. Have you checked in task manager if the 3Dvcache cores are effectively used?

Also is this in VR only? Maybe you are rather GPU limited in that case.

1 Like

Note the benchmark posted a few posts above shows an 18% uplift in high-end frame rates from 5800X3D to 7900X3D (it’s unclear under what scenario and at what resolution). Getting 10% off the cuff in one test without optimizing anything sounds pretty decent! (Especially if doing extra-high-resolution VR that’s going to be mostly pushing your GPU.)

1 Like

Did you re-install Win 11 and the sim or did you just reuse your old drives? I would recommend a clean install when moving from AM4 to AM5.

3 Likes

Here’s a key observation: I have noticed I’m typically CPU (mainthread) limited when at a busy airport and at low altitudes but GPU limited when flying above a few thousand feet.

If you compared just CPU limited situations I suspect the difference between the 5800X3D and 7800X3D would be more noticeable.

Sidenote - it’s nice to actually be GPU limited sometimes now that I’m running 7000 series. With my old system (i7 9700K) I was almost always CPU limited. Feels like the 4090 actually gets to stretch its legs now.

2 Likes

I chose to ignore all recommendations (minimal effort!) in relation to a clean install of windows 11, but otherwise went through the correct process of configuring in terms of parking etc. I’ll probably wait until the next sim update to reinstall everything.
I have noticed that the sim runs much smoother with the 7900x3d, but now have an issue with my G2 since updating the nvidia drivers where the G2 has developed a tick every 6 seconds.

1st time round the 3d vcache wasn’t effectively used, but got it configured properly and tested before posting my findings.

I think the level of sophistication is significant with these PC OS’s and the hardware they interact with. Especially when moving from AMD’s AM4 platform to AM5 with a next gen motherboard not only are there CPU changes but changes/enhancements to the many hardware peripherals it utilizes. While Windows can detect and update itself in a fairly robust manner with new hardware, given the tuning required for MSFS and the OS I would not have expected an optimized result.

2 Likes

Well tomorrow I will find out if the 7900X3D is the way!

I have one coming with a new MSI X670E Carbon Mobo, Dominator Ram, I got some new NVME’s as the Mobo takes 4, and I am putting in a new 1200 watt Corsair Shift PSU too, and all new Fans.

I will pair it up with my 4080 OC and I will report back.

3 Likes

Don’t fight for it. Some people struggle to understand that changing motherboards needs a Windows reinstall. Well it is just recommended by some gurus/youtubers but it is honestly needed. Yes you can even run Windows through a pendrive. But…
Carrying any file corruption or not properly uninstalled driver issues. Not compatible drivers. Deep Windows code and files needed to be reset for such a drastic change. REGISTRY full of entries due to that hardware.
Some can be skipped/overwritten and work? Yes, but not properly. And good luck finding the culprit if you start getting any minor issue that can scale up.
Swapping the hard drive with a Windows copy from am4 to am5 it’s almost the pinnacle of this kind of behaviour. Using the same hard drive swapping from intel mb to amd mb it is.

2 Likes

I understood (which is so much worse). I’ll get around to it. I just didn’t have the time or patience for a complete reinstall the other day.

Nobody likes a full Windows reinstall… boring and tedious. But gives less pain to deal with in the future.

1 Like

I can vouch for this. I will be upgrading today and as much I do not want to reinstall the OS, MSFS, all my stuff this system has been through 3 GPU’s, 2 Processors and a few other Hardware changes, I have to start again.

1 Like

Very interested to see how you get on with a similar build to mine only with a fresh windows install. I’ll probably have a go within a couple of weeks!

For what its worth i went from 11600k/32gb (3600mhz)/3080ti to 7800X3D/32gb (6000MHZ) /3080ti and i gained 50 (100fps+) frames on 2k/wide screen/all high settings.

1 Like

Holy cows that’s a huge uplift. I’m not expecting that big of jump upgrading from a 10700k to 5800x3d. Also on 2k ultrawide. CPU bottlenecked with Airliners.