Please Add an option to Toggle the White Dot while using Controller

If you also found the white screen borders distracting, SU8 beta appears to have removed those! Yay!
(I mention it in this topic because both the white dot issue and the white screen borders came to PC around the time of the Xbox release)

Is there a solution?

2 Likes

Here is to hoping this issue has been fixed and along with it the vanishing mouse cursor!

that’s the problem with the dot? It vanishes after 2 seconds.

Good question. Though I returned my Xbox controller for a refund, so I don’t have the annoying white dot issue any more.

Nope, it’s still there. Working as intended as they said, so it will never be removed.

/me lets out a big long sigh

Just imagine if we stuck a white dot in home cockpits and on HOTAS and all Yokes and Collectives… Id love to see the frelling riots. Seriously is it really THAT hard to make this feature a toggle? The sim never had a white dot with gamepad for an entire year and not one person complained. Then along comes SU5 and BOOM here we are two years later still complaining about it… How many votes do we need to get this fixed 10000?

5 Likes

My assumption here, since I don’t have a controller, this has nothing to do with HOTAS, or yokes/joystick/collectives. Its the difference between using a mouse and a controller. No one complains about using a mouse, and seeing a mouse pointer. The controller needs a reference point to know where your little joysticks are pointing.

Did I misread this? How are you expected to use a controller for cockpit interactions without a reference point, which is the white dot, indicating what you are pointing at.

If we want to remove the white dot, then maybe the mouse pointer should go as well?

As I say I don’t have a controller, so I don’t know what it was like when this dot didn’t exist, but I would imagine it would have made it unnecessarily tricky to aim at tiny switches, and buttons.

I had to look at an old wishlist thread to catch up, an found this:

So yes, I might find that slightly annoying. That you happen to have a controller plugged in, but use the mouse to interact with things, and even though you haven’t touched the controller the sim displays the white dot as well. That seems unnecessary. If it only appeared when moving the controller, then disappeared once you stopped using it to interact with things, and merely flying the plane, that would be fine.

An “interact” mode in those instances might be useful.

Nope, just the annoying white dot which insists on popping up in the center of view and ruining screenshots etc. Also, since the mouse cursor works, what would I even need a white dot for? :wink:

The mouse cursor can be moved to the upper corner of the screen where it doesn’t appear in view. The white dot cannot.

1 Like

Which is exactly what I wrote above.

1 Like

Now you get it, but Asobo never will, unfortunately.

1 Like

If the dot disappears for 2 seconds after you stop manipulating the controls, is that not fast enough?

I’ve not timed it recently, but I’m pretty sure the mouse cursor takes more than 2 seconds to disappear once you stop moving it. I can still take screenshots even though that happens. It does show up on videos I record via GE, which isn’t ideal I guess.

If the dot pops up randomly, I wonder if that could be jitter on the little joysticks, and it is perceiving motion even if you don’t touch them. That would be extremely frustrating, and you might not want to assign any dead zones to those sticks.

Nope, it’s not, and screenshots aren’t even the primary concern. Having a white dot pop up in my center of view every time I pan the camera is. I just wanted the white dot to go away forever. I had absolutely no use for it, and it wasn’t a problem until sim update 5 or so.

2 Likes

Ah, so you aren’t wanting to use the controller to actually manipulate cockpit controls, just look about etc.

Yes, that would be annoying, and a toggle for those that don’t need that would be useful. Voted!

1 Like

Almost as frustrating as trying to explain this problem to people that don’t use a Xbox controller, no offense.

1 Like

Agreed. I didn’t have a clear impression of what the user experience was like because of that. Now I have a better appreciation of that.

1 Like

You are one of the nice folks that try to understand and help with the issue. Asobo always ignoring the issue is what makes it frustrating. Thanks for your vote.

1 Like

I noticed that with the Sim Update 10 beta, the white dot that appears when using a controller to look around also highlights cockpit displays. I find this very distracting. Is there any way to turn this off?

I have my interaction setting set to Legacy.

I don’t mind the White Dot (Xbox) because it disappears, but the problem I find is if the position of the white dot is over any cockpit buttons (even when hidden), if I then tap “A” to increase throttle, it activates the button under the hidden dot instead.

This is a problem when flying IFR and I want to set a view of the instruments, I have to take special care to make sure the white dot is hovering over a non-responsive area on the panel - otherwise whenever I want throttle I have to first move the white dot, then apply throttle, then move my view back.

3 Likes

Press one of the arrow keys on the keyboard for the white point to disappear until you change camera position again. Not user friendly but at least a quick fix.

1 Like