Please Add an option to Toggle the White Dot while using Controller

This needs to change on PC. There needs to be an option to completely disable the white dot and its effects.

12 Likes

That would be nice.

The white screen border may be some sort of regression bug, because that was removed sometime around SU8 but now some screenshots I’ve seen indicates it came back with SU10 beta.

That ghastly white dot is immensely distracting, it interferes with controls when over displays (even if invisible) and causes all sorts of nuisance that require pilot action to overcome, increasing workload in often critical situations.

It’s not ok to have to work the zoom or twiddle the camera every time the mouse is used in the cockpit. In a small plane that might be a small annoyance, but on a bad weather approach in an airliner, it’s a safety hazard in clear violation of the “sterile cockpit” prerogative.

Please let us be rid of the hated thing - It serves no purpose on PC and interferes with normal operations of the airplane.

Either add an option to disable it from the sim, or at the very least, provide us guidance on what files to tamper with for its removal.

I’ve tried a mod of painting it invisible on the various obscure image files which appeared to be its source, yet somehow it managed to “grow back” regardless of any such changes.

3 Likes

I totally agree with it being distracting, annoying, and interfering with cockpit controls.

@Pentjak since the white dot re-appears every time panning the camera, that doesn’t fix anything for someone who constantly pans the camera around using the joystick.

5 Likes

Try pressing and D-Pad direction button.

I hate that white dot and how it highlights screens it’s hovering over. Even using popouts inlaid into my Air Manager panels, I’ll get that big white highlight border around them when my gaze (using TrackIR) goes over one of the screens in the virtual cockpit.

5 Likes

^ This is the only workaround that actually works in my case, but I have to press a d-pad button EVERY ■■■■ TIME when switching between the mouse and joystick again…

1 Like

Another workaround (sometimes) is to have a key bound to “freelook toggle” - so that when the hell-dot comes up, you can put it away by pressing it.

Still, this is extremely annoying. Not only it’s a “thing you always have to do” - but it also requires that you disable freelook mode before you can use the cursor again. Absolutely unacceptable.

I have half worked around the problem by switching most of my controls to mirrored inputs using VJoy and Joystick Gremlin. This is to force the sim to ignore the fact that an XBox controller even exists. This however, is not only a major toil to setup, but also prevents simple assignments of button+axis combos, which are a high necessity with such limited controls as those of a standard gamepad.

And still, even with these extreme measures, the dot-of-doom remains a pesky annoyance that continues to disgrace my experience and quality of my streams.

IT MUST GO.

1 Like

Voted. The thing is such a nuisance.

1 Like

I’m on Xbox and just press the wheel button on the mouse and it disappears. Stays gone even when looking around with controller. If I want to make a change I right click mouse and it comes back.

curiously, on the PC, it does not stay gone, but reappears undesirably whenever any of some various items are touched on the gamepad

To stop this from happening, one has to go on Steam Settings and manually disable all the assignments on the gamepad profile. Alas, doing so makes the game incapable of receiving inputs from the controller.

Then you have to bypass this “special treatment” given to XBox devices by using a VJoy feeder so that MSFS can receive inputs from a virtual device instead. This requires reassigning ALL your controls, and also makes it impossible to use axis+button combos straight in the game itself (requiring more setup to add these through VJoy)

This is a maddening hassle, and for my own efforts, it has been only partially beneficial. The dot continues to reappear whenever I use the mouse unless action is taken (shuffle the zoom controls or engage freelook mode)

Such nuisance is akin to having someone on the jumpseat continually poking at the pilot, or a mosquito in the cockpit. A constant hassle like an itch that must be scratched every time.

2 Likes

It´s 2022 and you cant beat a white dot. Never thought about an endboss like an white dot. Cmon Asobo, you can do it, i believe in you.

3 Likes

Second that, even if we have some wired workarounds it should be solved very soon.

Fun fact, I too have this dot, and I’m on PC.

the white dot is there only when a controller is plugged in and I’m guessing its there to indicate where you are pointing if using the controller. Personally I dont care because I only use my controller with the drone camera and it disappears after a while

Nope. I’m on PC and have a Joystick plugged in.

I’m talking about an xbox or ps type controller

100% agree.

(PC / Steam here, SU10b)

I have yolk and pedals but also use XBox controller for various other things. The white dot is a complete immersion destroyer.

The devs work so hard to get the sim looking beautiful. Scenery is amazing at times. And then in the middle of your screen a big White Dot appears, drawing all your attention away from the beautiful scenery. It is not even subtle.

I understand why it is there, some folks may want to be reminded, every time they move the view, what is the area of focus for controls.

However, many of us just don’t need it (or want it).

I am perfectly able to tell what is the focus area of my screen, for example, playing FPS I usually have crosshairs off.

Constantly having to reach down for the Down Arrow key or DPad direction button, to remove it is a real pain too. And once you have seen it, you get more and more aware of it and it gets more and more distracting.

Anyway there really is no argument here, it is simply a request for the option to remove it. It doesn’t have to be removed for everyone. Just give us the option. Please.

(You only have to search for “White Dot” in the forum to see how many users detest it and how long it has been an issue.)

3 Likes

Options are good for everyone.

Posted about this earlier. Hopefully the topics can be merged so the votes reflect appropriatly.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/is-there-any-way-to-disable-the-white-dot-when-using-a-controller/532370

1 Like