Please Asobo FIX bugs before fancy updates

Please Asobo NO MORE fancy world updates or local legends just please fix the bugs first
ATC
AI
map issues
flight planner
ctd’s
invisible objects
content manager not loading
loading and saving flights

some of these bugs are YEARS old it’s beginning to get tiresome

34 Likes

I completely agree. Although, I think most people have accepted that ATC is way too complicated and you can rely on Vatsim (at least partly). I think the biggest issues that need to be fixed are:

1. DirectX12 Optimization/Improved Sim Performance.
  2. AI (fix the number of objects causing Simconnect issues, AI planes piling up in one location on the return flight to the original airport, heavy fps taxation due to limited number of objects specially over time)
  3. Weather - abrupt wind changes (i.e. from 50 knots at 108 deg. to 100 knots at 200 deg, etc.), cloud turbulence, improve weather related movement (i.e. thermal, mountains, buildings, etc.), improved haze layer (better transition, radar interpolation, differentiation between haze and fog), and icing effect.
  4. Weather radar API
  5. Airport lights (runway and taxiway light during daytime, etc.)
  6. CTDs (although I have not had any recently but this sims to still be a problem for a lot of people)

To me these are the very important issues to be addressed for this sim to get to a good/more realistic level. The rest of the issues should also be solved but I think there are ways around most of them.

3 Likes

I disagree with the ATC comment FS98 had better atc than this, currently at 3rd party airports i cant get an instrument approach it will only give me a visual and that is even if weather is atrocious and i cant even see runway. Last night landing at Orly i didn’t even get landing clearance it decided it wanted me back up at 7000 feet 2 miles from airport when i’m on final its getting to point where i used to do IFR with atc now im gonna have to turn it off its gone backwards. i will be honest i have no interest in vatsim and i suspect 90% of users have no interest in it either

9 Likes

I know it needs huge improvement, I don’t disagree at all. Even AI and airport lighting systems were better in FS2004 and FSX. I have just given up on ATC and don’t use it. But the other issues are very hard to give up on (i.e. AI, weather, performance. …).

1 Like

I think most people on the forums have been begging for exactly this, but I’m sure the mothership wants 'em to keep serving up that cool new eye candy.

4 Likes
  1. It’s a Microsoft project, so Microsoft defines what Asobo has to deliver when.

2. From the start there was a commitment done by the teams on a plan which likely defines what to deliver.

3. World updates are NOT a task Asobo takes in general, it’s a task taken by the Bing team and Gaya Simulations mainly. If at all Asobo does some minor implementation stuff but the majority of work is done by others.

4. Local legends and other aircraft are NOT created by Asobo, it’s always third parties doing this like Carenado and Orbx. They only created the Cabri helicopter recently because they needed it for testing and the company is close to their office.

5. Asobo ONLY does core sim updates, improvements and fixes. So what you claim for is actually what they are doing.

6. Traffic and ATC will be worked on, however they got not enough experts for this task as they keep searching for people to join the team. Especially traffic will need some work from ground up as the old way traffic in FSX does not play well with live traffic.

7. On PC I cannot even confirm your points like map issues, CTDs, invisible objects and content manager not loading? If you talk about Xbox (X), well, say thank you to Microsoft for not placing 16GB of RAM into a closed up and locked system which doesn’t feature a good enough emulator for developers to work with :wink: I won’t even start about the Xbox S. Basically it’s not a good idea to have the Market Place in place on these consoles at all imho - the systems cannot take badly optimized third party content.

So, in general, before complaining please have a look at what actually is done by the developer and what is not even done by them. Most of the stuff mentioned is not their task and does not consume their time. The rest also is not done by pure magic and needs to be prioritized (as they surely got a large backlog of tasks and stories) and has to be worked on by people which first have to have an analysis done and a plan put together before they finally start implementing/fixing.

Also much stuff you see which is not working is old code from FSX - like the prop simulation, CFD, helicopters and gliders techniques this code has to be understood and rebuilt from scratch.

13 Likes

Pretty much what you said.

We get a thread like this every month. The answer never changes.

And as someone who likes free updates, airplanes, and scenery, I hope they can continue to bring new content along with new fixes.

It never has been an either/or proposition.

8 Likes

Are you even using the Sim? the issues i mentioned are well documented here on the forums

1. World map has many issues i’m not going to list them
  2. Flight planner keeps changing imported flight plans and will only let you use one transition to an
    instrument approach
  3. invisible objects because objects count exceed a pre determined inner level i dont know what it is
    again this is well documented
  4. CTd’s for me they are rare but they happen and even in this weeks update thread by Asobo they are
    mentioned
  5. Content manager wont load if more than 1028 items in community folder
  6. forget the complexities of ATC can we just have it so the voices dont vanish? you must have heard of that one? or not heard depending on your point of view

This is not about moaning this is about lets take a time out and clean up some of these bug from years that are still here we still cant save a flight properly
I had one bug tonight id never had before so ibut i have since found out that has been around for over a year but never had it until tonight this is PC at least for me although i know some at least occur on Xbox

So in General please before making replies do some research

7 Likes

I agree with this list plus one more item. Please fix the RMB free look + controls freezing issue. It’s been since like SU 5, I think, since that was broken. Great Post 100% spot on for things needing to be fixed.

5 Likes

Yeah I agree with your comment on VATSIM. I love VATSIM and appreciate the people who work the radar, but, outside of weekends, it’s largely a ghost town. You’re flying mostly on 122.8 vectoring yourself. Also, utilizing VATSIM does not preclude terrible vectoring or descent planning. I have had so many steep descents and slam dunk approaches or long finals. Again, I’m appreciative of the efforts and time of all the individuals that make VATSIM work, but it has its shortcomings. I don’t use any ATC. I simply vector myself. I fly using liveatc.net at the airports and ARTCC’s and controlling myself with FSLTL in the background.

I don’t think you will find anyone who thinks the issues you encounter aren’t real.

This sim has issues.

Still, I imagine you will encounter folks who have already followed all the other similar threads we have seen in this forum and TLDR: Updates and patches are separate things with separate teams.

If you got your wish and we stopped getting new content until the game was fixed to your liking, you still wouldn’t get patches any sooner.

MS didn’t contract with Rockstar to make MSFS, they contracted with Asobo, and theirs is a team 1/20th - 1/30th the size working on this sim and things like, “Plagues Tale” games. So, things take time. It is a AA team doing AAA work.

The way I see it, MSFS has seen its best sales already. Sales are front loaded. The game is two years old. I doubt they will sell more copies in the next 8 years than they have already sold in the first two.

I cannot fathom MS giving Asobo the production budget at this point to double the size of their MSFS patching team. It isn’t profitable at this point. The game is two years old.

So, while it sucks to say it, this is the pace at which things seem to move with MSFS. And updates, patches, and extra content are all contracted and scheduled by the producers, Xbox Studios, because they put up the money to have the game made to their liking.

Sadly, the only solution I can think of is to give another game studio a similar amount of money to make a sim precisely to your liking, with an update and patch strategy that meets your personal and financial needs.

This weird beast of a sim is already set in its ways. I haven’t known a Xbox Studios game to drastically change course this late after release. I highly doubt that is going to change with MSFS. It was too well received from the start. No need for any Cyberpunk 2077 style comeback.

1 Like

Even after re-reading my post I don’t see me saying the issues are not existing for some people - I just mentioned I don’t see them in my case on PC :wink: I cannot speak for other systems of other users which may or may not have underlying OS/driver, configuration or hardware issues. My point is that most stuff in your first post (which this topic should be about) is nothing related to Asobos job in this project named “Microsoft Flight Simulator”.

Reading that you seem to have more than 1028 community folder items while encountering CTDs makes me thinking these are also community folder related - how does the sim work without community content? If it runs just fine with this folder empty and just using certified market place content (local legends/stuff brought to you by MS/Asobo) it’s again not Asobos responsibility in first place.

Sorry, but if it’s not about moaning and finger pointing, why is this a topic in the “General Discussion” section? Why is it not a wishlist item one could simply vote for and why don’t you just stick to the bug reports and contribute so that issues actually can be fixed?

To me this topic is just the reincarnation of all these other topics leading to nowhere as people cannot even get a grip on which team is working on what and where responsibility of them starts and ends, or they are just ignoring that. Even after a clear statement from MS about aircraft in the 40th Anniversary Edition people tell:

Let me post some links here:
Who is now responsible for aircraft systems? → Working Title, not Asobo

Who creates world update related stuff? → Bing/Gaya/Blackshark.ai, not Asobo

Who creates local legend aircraft and famous flyers? → Carenado, Hans Hartmann, Orbx, Oliver Mosler…, not Asobo

Who creates the other aircraft shipped with the 40th Anniversary edition? → BlueMesh, iniBuilds, Nemeth Designs, Aeroplane Heaven (see feedback topics). Ofc. not Asobo.

Key question: why should Asobo as being mostly the core sim developers stop providing stuff they are not even working on? There is no reason as even the deployment of such packages is likely done by Microsoft/Xbox and not Asobo.

If you’ve got an actual proof that they are responsible for WUs and additional aircraft other than support by the SDK team (which is in place just for this and not for core sim bug fixing) feel free to show. Otherwise I just gonna leave this discussion now - thanks! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The top bug is the performance hit from rendering a 360 degree sphere instead of masking just what’s visible BEFORE rendering.

Ok i did originally post this in wishlist though it was 2am so i may have made a mistake

You said “On PC I cannot even confirm your points like map issues, CTDs, invisible objects and content manager not loading?”

i never suggested you have these issues i don’t always get all the issues i mentioned but they are existing issues and i know this because i read what problems others are having you imply they don’t exist because you don’t have them

i never said i get ctd’s with more than 1028 objects in community folder see this is you not actually reading what’s written i said that more than 1028 objects in community stops content manager from opening.

The invisible objects mainly affects people who use FSltl or AIG and have GSX at complicated airports like KLAX as this pushes everything sky high thereis no actual thread on it but its mentioned in other threads and on gsx and fsltl forums

The marketplace gives MS income. I don’t know what percentage their cut is, but it will probably be 20% or so.

Over time with lots of users, that’s a huge income. And there must be lots of users because the servers are so overloaded.

So if Asobo are not involved in any of those areas as you suggest (and I’m not doubting you at all,) then it begs the question; Why is quality control still so poor 2+years on?

If they’re not working on those areas; Why are core bugs still present from the first release and subsequent updates? Why are regression bugs not fixed in a more timely manner? Why are some regression bugs not fixed at all? Why are obvious flaws in the Sim not made a priority over fancy new features?

These questions are all rhetorical, they never get answered, they get dodged in the Q&As, they are constantly asked in these forums every month because users are fed up that a great Sim like this can be let down by obvious flaws seemingly ignored update after update after update.

I get it, it’s very tiring to see me post the same questions and moans, believe me I’m very tired beating the same drum. But until I see some actual evidence of Quality Control improvement then these questions will continue to be asked and bore the community!

I think perhaps the issue (as seen over decades with other gaming studios) is that the users are playing a different game to the Devs, they’re in their bubble and they don’t see the game the way we see it. They need to detach from that bubble, play the game the way we play it and then maybe they might start to understand our frustrations.

7 Likes

Actual evidence of quality control is not fixing every single long-standing unimportant bug some of us want. Actual evidence of quality control is how few things new core updates break. I can still remember how the early updates were every time breaking a ton of stuff, and requiring hotfixes. They have come a long way from that. Also, the CTDs were at one point extreme, just about everyone of us had in-flight CTDs. Again, they started focusing on those, and now they have been reduced to a minimum.

I can understand that some long-standing bugs can irritate people, but please do not claim that Asobo is not doing anything to improve and fix the title. That’s is demonstrably untrue and just diminishes the point you are trying to get across.

6 Likes

I think a mixture of bug fixing and new features would be good

Constant CTDs, and I have never even left the gate. Thought it was the European vs NA severs but it’s happening with both and multiple airplanes, multiple airports. Why not fix this issue before delving into other stuff?

All we want to do is fly, but no go!

1 Like

It is time to get the priority on fixing existing issues.
Almost all the development time of Asobo go’s to new things.
Asobo please put the man power on fixing the long list of bugs and performance issues.

8 Likes