Please change clouds to be less grey

This is quite subjective. If one turns up the gamma setting on the NVIDIA control panel a hundredth of a point, the clouds light up. No two players are seeing the same images as we all have different settings and specs. The contrast and definition in the clouds are quite a bit more detailed as I see them on my panel as compared to the posted pics.

There’s no comparison with this one, but just, look at it.

Bright, sunny day, very mild scattered clouds, and yet the white of the plane absolutely destroys and overtakes ANY portion of white in the clouds.

This is the exact angle and lighting scenario that SU5 really improved upon.

Trust me, there’s definitely something different about the shading. I can accomplish a simple brightness boost in ReShade, amongst other effects, and none of it brings back the SU5 look.

1 Like

I’ll be up for quite a few more hours testing things w/the F-15. So far, so good. The initial version of SU5 gave everything a green hue which caused me to reset everything and start from scratch. This one is right on. 'So hard to diagnose though. If we all had the same setup, it would be much easier.

THAT much I will agree with; SU5 brought a strangely large amount of banding artifacts with it. Granted, the game’s always had a slight banding issue, but it was oddly pronounced in SU5.

Maybe Get a monitor calibration device and calibrate your monitor… i know we all think we can adjust by eye, but trust me when I say, that a properly calibrated monitor will astound you.

1 Like

I’ve messed around with my monitor settings plenty already, both before today and today. Like I said, all the adjustments to contrast, brightness and other things I could accomplish both with these monitor settings and with ReShade. They do not do anything to mitigate the effect that I’m talking about. All they do is brighten up the whole scene, which to get the clouds to the point of looking actually white, would mean blowing out every other color to peak levels even in shadows.

Also, edited the title to sound a little less confrontational.

Well thats was kind of my point. For years I would ‘tweak’ my monitors for various reasons. Last December I bout a Spyder Pro calibration device and calibrated the monitor and Have been extremely pleased. Just trying to help.

2 Likes

I do appreciate the help, certainly. I don’t intend to blow you off or anything. I just mean to say that the matter of the clouds and their shading is not something that can be corrected with monitor tweaks/calibration.

This is an admittedly extreme example, but I was just flying around earlier, and I caught this

Overcast can be dark, but that’s a not especially thick layer at well over FL 280, and it looks almost like a bug it’s so dark.

1 Like

well for the time being apply some sort of color correction like like Nvidia Game Filter and tweak it until Asobo figures something out.

Id absolutely take the post hotfix clouds over the shaving cream looking ones. They give a nice contrast now.

“Nice contrast”, I’m glad you think so, but I’ve never seen any cloud IRL that looks like this.

Maybe a color correction is required for you dude. mine looks good

The point is a color correction wasn’t even needed with the changes in SU5

1 Like

Seems I’m not the only one

I agree with you that the clouds should be more white. However, the approach they have taken in SU5 (overexposure of the scene, excessive brightness) to achieve this result was wrong.

Only the clouds should be whiter, not the whole scene. They have to find a way to do it that only affects the cloud.

Improving the clouds should not deteriotate everything else.

4 Likes

That’s the thing, I AM in agreement with that, but that’s not quite the approach they took with SU5. Not only do I kinda disagree on the overexposure [it looked brighter as if the scene was without sunglasses], but,
well that’s a pretty subjective thing so I won’t try and argue that

But the clouds themselves did get brightened individually. Otherwise, all my efforts with ReShade and monitor tweaks would bring back the SU5 look. It SHOULD, if the clouds were only brighter because of the whole scene.

However, that doesn’t pan out. The SU5 clouds almost never got spitball-ish and brown, especially at low altitiudes, and a brightness tweak over the whole scene would not make that any better. But SU5 did make them better.

However, when people moaned about the visual changes, they reverted seemingly EVERYTHING, including the cloud changes, and it’s that last one that I continue to be rather upset over.

The rain, at least, genuinely looks better after the hotfix. It was oddly muddy in SU5.

It’s hard to shake the memory though that lighting scenarios like this SU5 did [IMO] way better…

Well at least they’re not ON THE FLOOR like they are quite frequently in live weather. Metar will have the clouds at 1500 feet, yet in sim they’re below ground level.

Ingame vs reality. Nearly same location.
MSFS, why such dramatic clouds?