Please explain the weather

I guess you missed the part in clear text

Automated observation with no human augmentation; there may or may not be significant weather present at this time

which is hardly a ringing endorsement of warranted accuracy.

Ok, full context. Does that change anything in your core statement?

“There are plenty of examples in numerous threads. The developers or support need to simply do the work in the lab and recreate similar discrepancies. Spend some time flying around and pay attention to the in-game wind/baro, etc and compare.* They wil encounter the same problem in a relatively short period of time.”

1 Like

I’ll check with the team on this for next week’s Feedback Snapshot to see if it was on purpose or not. Expect to see it on the Snapshot next week if it wasn’t intentional.

2 Likes

I agree with you and the weather system isn’t ready at all. I experimented with the live weather and saw that some things were missing. There is a long way to go and I really hope they’ll fix it, because I don’t want to use an additional 3rd party addon at all.

1. I haven’t seen this here in the forums but ,we haven’t seen snow, or at least the snow they showed here . Snow piles on the ground and suddenly the “snow height” bar in the weather settings, makes sense. But I’ve never seen something like that. Tried going to places where it should snow with live weather enabled,but nothing changed/even snow was not really visible. Tried it with the preset set to heavy snowfall and bare ground, but nothing changed again. Maybe it’s not a feature at all,maybe I just misunderstood their showcase video or something. Either way, it would be an amazing feature, especially if they injected snow depths from satellite data and leave the live weather system in the sim do the rest for more specific parts of the terrain. (Imagine seeing bands of snow , like you can sometimes see in extremely flat regions like here )

2. They don’t use the “haze” or the “aerosol particles” shader in live weather. Meteoblue has very detailed maps with visibility and sand/aerosol particles in it’s website. I don’t think it works at all with “Live weather”. I tested flying in the middle of the Sahara desert , in an obviously extremely low visibility region with extremely large quantities of aerosol particles in the atmosphere. The visibility in the sim was maxed out and the same as the rest of the world. It is never dynamic, or to be more exact ,the feature is missing , at least in my experience. It would be awesome to see low visibility over the Middle East or Africa , but nope, the same crystal clear skies and 150 km visibility. I saw the last “Dev Talk” , they talked about the absence of dynamic visibility and said that they may change it and make it more realistic, like a haze layer with the “aerosol particle” shader they have in place, but without the extremely yellow tint. Let’s hope they’ll fix it, because varying degrees of visibility were certainly a thing in FSX and older simulators.
Lower atmospheric haze like this , is not a working feature in the sim, but you can make a preset that looks similar, or even “sand-stormy”.

Features like this are in place(feature-wise), but they don’t work. The weather engine needs more improvements in other aspects as well(more important game breaking features, like weather injection that correctly depicts ground/airport descriptions,winds that work,lightning bugs,data synchronization etc.)
These were some of my observations that I wanted to share and ask if you have experimented,experienced, or have a totally different idea on whats going on.

KSFO now 0.03 bar and 3° OAT diff. Wind 140/8

METAR text: KSFO 161756Z 14009KT 10SM FEW200 29/01 A2999 RMK AO2 SLP157 T02890006 10289 20194 50003 ( Aviation Digital Data Service)

Great! Seeing that threads in the “Bugs” section are being merged without adding the votes of the closed threads makes me wonder about the accuracy of the snapshots. I am aware that in an ideal world ONE thread would exits for ONE problem. But that’s far from reality. As I have pointed out in another thread regarding the “lightning in clear skies” issue (weather-related - isn’t it?) the current snapshot only lists a fraction of the real votes regarding the problem.
And for this topic, I have found 1794 votes until now, and that would make this topic #1 on the Bugs list by far:
Live Weather and Wind Readings are Not accurate (553)
Live weather is not working (416) closed on October 13th and merged with above
[Consolidated Vote] Live Weather Issues (v1.9.5.0) (323)
Live Weather Error (155)
Weather - Visibility Control (111)
WEATHER is still NOT working correctly! (68)
Live weather and live traffic not working? (65)
Live weather: No low visibility modelled - MeteoBlue Data itself seems to be wrong! (41)
LIVE Weather Issues on second flight (38)
Live Weather: ATIS does not match conditions (ex. sim shows overcast, atis reports few) (24)

4 Likes

No, I sincerely don’t think that this has anything to do with “prediction-based weather”, and here’s why:

The values for KTEX are consistently so far off, that this simply can’t be caused by any model they’re using. And Meteoblue has the correct set of variables on the website.

IMO, something is broken under some circumstances when the (correct) data is being injected or when the (engine based) forecast model is being applied.

1 Like

Exactly! And as i think the weather-engine is a quite complex system not so easily fixed maybe it would suffice to create an interface within the sim to extract the current (in-sim) values at any given airport for planning purposes? I would prefer real “real live-weather” though…

1 Like

You see, that’s exactly why I’m doubting that we’ll see a fix for the issues anytime soon: They don’t have to reproduce anything, they know about the issue probably since pre-alpha. It is so ■■■■ obvious.

If I you were the guy at MS/Asobo responsible for the Live Weather, wouldn’t you have checked the feature in a variety of airports across the planet yourself, before making it available to alpha testers? I’m pretty sure you would have…

I sympathize a little bit with Asobo, because I believe they are primarily a game studio, and they are building a “Flight simulator” from a gaming perspective rather than from an Aviation perspective. I can see it with their priorities and how certain issues are addressed.
Weather for example, having listened to the live streams and heard all the have to say about weather I have come to accept that the weather system we have now is considered complete from their point of view despite all the numerous omissions and errors

• the same 3 cloud layers in the ATIS
    -the same dewpoint
    -Hit or miss with the winds etc.
    -In ability to view full weather reports of any stations before or during the flight just to mention a few.

Anybody in aviation knows the importance of accurate weather and access to that information but so far FS has been all about Visuals and very little on the core aspects of Flight.

4 Likes

This does not have to be repeated again and again. It is crystal clear and everyone who is involved in aviation knows that. If you could tell me which sim has the better weather, I would be very grateful.

Let me get my popcorn bag first :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As a real world pilot, I have learnt to really lower my expectations for FS, but when I see what they are capable of with the visuals I can’t help but hope they come right with the “simulator” part of things. :wink:

5 Likes

Good, but where is the better sim or weather than what ASOBO offers with Meteoblue.

You can never compare a simulation with reality. And that is also the reason why I do not understand the complaining here.

“Live weather” in the sim doesn’t match what is happening in real life. The other day I flew from South Carolina to DCA and in the sim I flew through lighting, storms, 30kts of wind, and thick storm clouds. The real weather was 20C and clear with a puff of breeze.

7 Likes

Well, maybe you should watch this again to understand why people are complaining…?

Why would they feed this amount of real-world data into MSFS in the first place if the didn’t want to reproduce real-world conditions?

Wouldn’t you agree that MS/Asobo set the expectations, not we did?

Wouldn’t you also agree that something is fundamentally going wrong if even the initial conditions (like you’ve seen yourself before) are completely off sometimes?

And yet, they’re still calling it “live weather”.

1 Like

Well I wasn’t aware that they don’t have it on their list of things to fix. That seems odd considering that I’ve not heard of them denying or ignoring other issues.

Hi TomL7753,
I do not know how the upvoting system works. Can you please explain how we can check that each of the upvotes on these numerous weather thread was made by a different forum members to justify the 1794 votes you counted. Thank you.

2 Likes

But you’ve seen their updated list? Or is there another one where the weather is still listed?

For me this is live weather within the given framework. I do not expect a military grade weather simulation.

I think the best solution will be Asobo releasing a weather injection plugin that bridges the meteoblue weather prediction data to other sims. It should be compatible with Microsoft FSX, FS9/2004, FS2002, XPlane 9-10-11, P3Dv3, v4, v5, AeroflyFS1-2, and DCS. In addition to that, we’ll need a custom METAR publish channel, so that VATSIM, IVAO, and PilotEdge can grab the exact same weather data.

This way we’ll have ultimate consistency among whole flightsim community.

Problem solved!