Please fix the icing visuals

It’s such unrealistic and makes aircraft’s look cartoonish that makes the Sim really look terrible. I’m pretty sure you are all annoyed by this

I know what you mean - I’ve crashed twice on landing due to an iced up screen but in reality I shouldn’t have been flying in those conditions, certainly not in RL, without adequate deicing ability which the Bonanza currently doesn’t have.

I did notice, and downloaded, yesterday a TP addon which stops this happening which I may try. It was in Flightsim.to I think.

The current game settings only allow you to switch off the airframe/engine effects of icing, not the visuals.

Yes I know but when you turn on developer mode to remove the icing the flight hours won’t count also if there is a little cloud the icing immediately builds up

What is the addon name ?

1 Like

JD No Frost Default Aircrafts

Have not noticed that this is a problem, but I guess true icing conditions are rare in the places that I fly. It would be useful for me for the visual effect to be exaggerated as I would probably not notice them otherwise.

Horrible !!!

ah… that’s why i have never noticed… i have never use the outside camera… I fly exclusively from the cockpit.

Disclaimer, I’m not a pilot.

I repeatedly see people complaining about unrealistic icing, but is it really?
Perhaps you haven’t noticed because RL pilots use the anti ice correctly?

It’s a bit hard to see because of the cloud, but you can see the icing is instant and across the entire windshield.

Or on the wing:

another cockpit example:

2 Likes

wow… that last picture is freaky. Lucky the guys in the plane IRL are well trained and know how to avoid these type of conditions when possible.

Believe me it is unrealistic, the rate, the way it looks, everything… An aircraft parked overnight in freezing fog will look like that, inflight icing wont look like that as it builds up on the frontal surfaces only (apart from some flowback in case of SLD). Also the type of ice (frost) is wrong. It will not built up nearly as fast, especially in light clouds with low moisture content. Not impossible, just extremely unlikely. MSFS currently only has a severe icing mode and it turns on upon entering icing conditions, no matter the moisture content / droplet size / total air temperature / airframe and fuel temperature etc.

To the OP, there are many posts about this already with far more votes. Splitting the votes is not gonna be productive so please close or merge this thread with an existing one…

Real world pilot here - the icing is not authentic in the way it is simulated. As others have said, it has the appearance of an aircraft that has been left out over night and has gathered frost. It needs to gather on unprotected leading edges and airflow facing surfaces only. Also, instead of a simplified visible moisture + sub zero temperature = icing, they should reference SIGMETs to see where and at what altitudes icing will likely occur.

3 Likes

I have had sigmets or sigwx charts reporting icing without experiencing any icing at all and vice versa. Even two seemingly the same clouds can create different results. Its not that easy to predict, still the current way of all icing conditions = severe icing conditions is nonsense…

Icing can happen very fast, but usually it builds up in a much longer period. This always very fast icing is unrealistic for sure. Built it up in a range of 10-30 minutes to different degrees… And in very rare situations make it built up in 2 minutes if the conditions are accordingly.
The icing effect have to be different on airliners too, i heard 2 well-known real world pilots/streamers state, that they never seen such extensive icing on airliners and yeah, not such a fast built up.
In general the effects are great, but slow it and make it more variable and much less end results. That really looks like a cartoon. And don’t forget to reduce the effect on longer flights and in conditions as that ice get ripped off, if youre flying in (slightly) warmer areas.
It’s very similar with the trees in low or medium settings (i am not able to say if its better in the high or ultra setting)… decrease/half the effect (or the tree width/ground coverage) and you will have much less folks complaining. If you have trees, totally covering the ground that you cannot see houses or other stuctures anymore, or you have trees everywhere, where you usually have small bushes, that breaks the immersion. Southern citys are looking like norwegian woods.In case of the trees, i turned it off in the .cfg, and its better then trees everywhere… And with icings its the same, please adapt it to the conditions and the aircraft. One fits all doesn’t apply here… :blue_heart:

1 Like

The effects don’t look great, inflight icing doesn’t look like that at all. And same here, never seen such quick ice built-up on any aircraft.

I’ve never seen icing like this on a real plane, and I’ve flown to cold places (Norway in winter for example). Where did Asobo get the idea that icing should be this present?

I see that there’s no way to get rid of color banding in fog and clouds?

Are you on Xbox, Steam or Microsoft Store version?

Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

The way icing is currently modelled is wrong. It looks like black ice you find on the street and on your car in the morning, in-flight icing never looks this way (at least I have never seen this kind of ice in over 10 years of flying into icing conditions). Ice accretion only occurs on frontal areas in real life, radome, wipers, front windshield, probes and antennas, leading edges, landing gear, engine intakes, spinners, propellers. Not on sides of fuselage and cabin windows. I will attach some pictures of real world ice accretion for reference, you can clearly see fuselage and cabin windows remain completely clear.

This is in the release notes: “Rain effect and icing on cabin windows improved”. Icing effect on cabin windows shouldn’t even be a thing! The icing effect on cabin windows is very unrealistic. When selecting windshield heat to ON (if installed), ALL windows are de-iced. Apart from the fact that there shouldn’t be any ice accretion on cockpit side windows and cabin windows in the first place, those windows aren’t even heated…

The only way to get this transparent layer of clear ice on the windshield is to cover the aircraft with a layer of water (on ground) and then drop the temperature below 0C. In-flight supercooled droplets splash or splatter on impact and don’t freeze instantly trapping air inside which gives it a milky appearance. It will never forms in a uniform transparent layer as in FS2020, its usually more like rime ice in texture. I also want to add that icing on the windshield is really rare, even without windshield heating installed or operating.

These are the problems with the current implementation of the current icing effect:

• As described above it doesn’t look right, wrong type of ice, accreting on wrong parts of the airframe like side of fuselage including cabin windows. You will NEVER pick-up any ice on cockpit side windows, cabin windows, side of fuselage, side of vertical stabilizer and directly on top of the wing and horizontal stabilizers in real life.
  • If it is snowing, snow (or slush if (airframe) temperature above 0C) should accumulate on the aircraft on ground but no ice will form on the windshields. In-flight there shouldn’t be any ice accretion at all when its snowing. You need supercooled water droplets for icing to form, snow is already solid and therefore won’t adhere to the airframe.
  • There is no way of de-icing the aircraft before departure, so even when operating an aircraft approved for flight in icing conditions, you technically can’t take off as there is no way of removing ice, snow, slush or frost from critical surfaces and have a clean airframe before departure. You could change to clear weather and bump the temperature up to 60C, but that is not very immersive.
  • I’ve also noticed that the stall warning activates upon reaching (reduced) stalling AOA with ice accretion while in real life (depending on the amount of ice accretion) the aircraft will stall before activation of the stall warning horn or stick shaker. You can’t trust the stall warning and stall protection systems with ice accretion. It would be more realistic to not alter the stall warning activation angle with ice accretion. In other words, stall warning activation always occurs at the clean wing stalling AOA.

Not having any icing effect at all is more realistic and closer to reality than the current implementation of it. Its not so common to built-up large amounts of ice. The only thing needed is ice accretion on the windshield wipers or icing evidence probe (if fitted) to have an indication that you are flying in icing conditions. Icing should be based on the presence of supercooled water droplets in the atmosphere which means:

• Freezing rain, drizzle or fog in the METAR.
  • Flight into rain or drizzle in flight with a temperature of 0C SAT or below.
  • Operation in visibility lower than 1.6 km (1 mile) including fog and flight in clouds with SAT 0C or below.

Snow or ice crystals are already solid and won’t cause icing, certainly not this uniform transparent layer of clear ice visible on the windshield. In short, three things are required for icing to form: supercooled droplets, SAT of 0C or below and freezing nuclei (airframe).

I didn’t test this yet, but in previous versions the option in the main menu to turn off the icing effect did not work. Did anybody test this already? Otherwise I will give it a go soon…

It would be cool if Asobo could add a de-icing panel. Just selecting Type I, II or IV fluid and a start button, doesn’t need any animations like de-ice trucks spraying the aircraft just a simple panel to de-ice the aircraft and prevent ice to form for x amount of time on ground. Could even use the generic holdover time tables, temperature and precipitation together with visibility to determine holdover time. Then give the aircraft an orange, yellow or green tint depending on fluid used until airborne or end of HOT.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

This is what real world icing looks like:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly into icing conditions.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Not applicable.

1 Like

Quality post, it’s weird how the floral frosting ever became an option during dev.

1 Like

@Asobo please fix it