Please, get rid of these stupid USR waypoints

Custom programming.

In our LNAV loop, when we initiate a turn to a new desired track, we keep track of the direction of the turn and the desired track. While we’re in the turn, we keep the internal heading bug pegged at 45 degrees left or right of the current heading (depending on the turn direction) to keep the bank at max, and then when we get within 15 degrees of the desired track, we cancel the heading bug pegging and let our loop start calculating a standard intercept again. At that point the required intercept heading will be very close to the current plane heading and so you get a nice brisk roll-out to the desired track.

-Matt

1 Like

Great post. USR points make sense and are there for a purpose - they just don’t always work as expected.

Thanks Matt … Is that JS custom programming ? I am wondering if it is an adaptable model for smaller GA, like the C712

That will be very nice to experience. As an oldtime pilot I generally fly stick and rudder but the mushy rollout on AP drive me nuts. Like having a student pilot that isn’t sure when to roll out. “Just turn and rollout! Stop with the 20 adjustments already!”

It is, yeah. We use mostly JS for the Working Title mods, with the exception of the FADEC for the CJ4, which is in C++/WASM due to needing SimConnect for intercepting and masking throttle events.

-Matt

Nice workaround

Great … The C172 roll out is terrible, so from your experience, should one be able t o use your code design to improve the c172 AP.'s Roll… (if that is OK with you )

Why don’t you post this in the wishlist? :wink:

Oh yes, you most certainly can use the design, I don’t mind at all!

But there’s a pretty massive caveat, and that’s that our LNAV is using heading mode, but you need to not show the user that you’re really in heading mode. So the entire AP system has been rewired and the displays changed to support our new lateral and vertical guidance over the top. It’s no small change.

-Matt

Please leave your vote here:

This is already known and need to get more attraction to the devs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.