Please - Quit loading Controller Profiles "On the Fly"

I will add this to Zendesk but wanted to share the thought here.

Concern:
You have the ability to create multiple controller sets which can be called up per aircraft type. In the sim, you can do this by clicking the “up” / “down” arrows next to each controller you have for your sim. For me, its the TCA Airbus Sidestick and the X52 Throttle. I have a profile saved for several aircraft. Each time you click to select a new profile, the sim actually loads the profile. Creating a pause and a clunky experience as you make your way through the list to the intended profile. That by itself seems time-consuming and very inefficient. And, as has now happened twice, you can get “hung” where the menu never loads the controller set and you have to hit “Esc” and start over.

Proposed Solution:
Create a drop-down menu where the user can select the desired saved setting and then load AFTER selection. This would save time, and eliminate “on-the-fly” file loading which seems to me to introduce the possibility of file corruption or some other anomaly.

Oh wow, I did not know that that was happening! Is that still a problem?

By the way, there is a popular Wishlist topic that does not propose a fix to your problem. However, if implemented, it would eliminate much of the need to switch profiles. Thought I would share it, in case you wanted to vote for it:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ability-to-have-separate-control-setups-for-each-aircraft-without-having-to-manually-switch-between-20-controller-profiles/267419
(The key proposal in that topic is automatic loading of profiles when you select an aircraft.)

3 Likes

100% agree with this request and will vote. This is exactly how X-Plane manages profiles and makes things much easier to manage.

1 Like

I don’t need to switch controller profiles often, but this is irritating when I do. Click to go to the next profile, wait. Click, wait. Click wait. I wouldn’t even say it needs a pull down menu, if we could just have it load the profile only at the end when you apply it.

Worth pointing out this is technically possible as we now see this when you load up the new Dune Ornathopter. It loads a custom Ornathopter specific Xbox and keyboard profile when you load those scenarios.

I voted because I agree with the concept.
I use SPAD, which lets me keep one empty sim profile for my Alpha and Bravo.
Controller bindings are managed in SPAD presets that load automatically with different aircraft.

But for those using custom sim profiles, I can definitely see the need for either a dropdown, or as you suggest, an ‘Apply’ button.

1 Like

Yes. Just attach the profile to the aircraft so unless you need to switch to another profile, it loads automatically every time.
I have a feeling this profile management business may be trickier than I’m making the solution out to be. I do love X-Plane’s system and the system in DCS. Fast and simple.

I don’t think it’s complicated. It’s just that such quality of life improvements have very low priority. The target audience doesn’t ever touch the profiles and plays using an Xbox controller, flying through Manhattan in a F18 using the outside view.

1 Like

Agree it’s totally low priority as it’s been this way since launch. It’s an annoyance for some but certainly not an impedance. But in the spirit of improving the sim…