Please stop mandatory updates

Mandatory updates is a must … Keep it as is Asobo.

3 Likes

Thats totally pointless for this kind of a game. Or do you have any idea how the software should handle not only countless of different hardware configurations, thousands of different driver/software stats as well as the additional dozens or hundreds of conflicts caused by the different installation versions you want? This will end up in making an personal version of the software just for you and your (momentary) rig.

You can do this with standalone offline games very well but I fear its actually impossible with an massive online multiplayer game.

IMHO mandatory updates are a must to keep the whole thing consistent.

3 Likes

Agree. You can allow updates to be optional in a basic game like X-Plane, that has simple graphics, and no online multiplayer, but I don’t see that as an option with something like MFS.

The issue that annoys me the most and it has happened on numerous occasions so far is that I fly online with a group of Vatsim friends at 8.30pm. At 8.00pm I turn on the computer to prepare only to be confronted with a mandatory update that takes so long that I miss out on the group flight. Now every day I have to start the program in the morning just in case which is a solution but as I say most annoying.

Why not a delay from about 5 days maybe, where I can choose if want or not and make the Update on Weekend!
Allways has trouble with updates, yesterday it took 6 hours to update the sim.
On a weekday I had no time for this, there I had to work hard for the money that I gave also to MS/Asobo.

At the end of a hard days work I only wonna fly a little-nothing else.

Not everyone who sims is retiered or workless :wink:

4 Likes

I have the same issue and I can still fly if you select clear skies only. Also this problem is limited to older GPU’s. I plan to upgrade soon so that’s my fix. There is a Thread about it here - Owners of GeForce 600/700/900 series cards, please chime in

1 Like

That’s exactly what I want too.
Adobo should find a way to support the ‚older‘ client version on the server side for 1 or 2 weeks and let the user decide when he has time for update.

1 Like

A good idea in essence however we would have to put up with no streaming scenery as this would only be available after updating.

The update has made my experience much improved, I was already loving it. Why not investigate what could be causing your issue? Do you have mods? Set settings back to default and test, try changing certain graphical options etc. See if anything helps. If it doesn’t , report it to Zendesk. They can’t fix what they don’t know about.

Remember everyone has a different system, set up & configuration , there are countless different versions of PCs out there with over 2million players. All with different options and settings, it would be impossible for Asobo to take them all into account. Report your issue and give them a dxdiag, that way they have a chance of helping

Hi Neil, thanks for your response but you are replying to a quite old post from a previous update. As for 1.12.13.0, this went well for me and I’m extremely happy with it.

1 Like

Understand what you are saying however I am not convinced that everyone’s software needs to be updated in the cloud at the same time to sync all the inputs. I fly online with a number of MSFS users in Australia and we fly at the same time however we do not all get the update requirement at the same time. i.e. last week I got the mandatory 1.12.13…0 however some of the pilots still flew on the previous version because they did not have the mandatory update request yet. So we were flying online at the same time using different versions without any problems. If it is that important to get everyone on the same version maybe Asobo could give a time limit say 48 hours before the update becomes mandatory? That way when I go online to do a flight with others I am not suddenly prevented from doing so. I have posted this suggestion to the Zendesk accordingly.

I don’t want to offend the OP, but this idea is horrible due to a number of reasons:

• Allowing users to run on multiple versions would mean they need to extend the scope of testing, as backend changes such as data or serverside updates can affect things even if Asobo software doesn’t change.
  • Troubleshooting and support gets really complicated, with different issues and scenarios affecting different users. It’s already extremely complex with all the hardware and OS parameters in play…now multiple that with X…
  • A nightmare for third-party developers, are they supposed to test on multiple versions? What if their updates won’t work on every available version? Are they supposed to work on multiple branches at the same time?
  • Hardware suppliers might need to offer several driver versions to different users, not speaking of the scenario where SimConnect gets updated…
  • Graphical drivers might impact both performance and bugs, depending which version of the game the user is using.

No, such a thing would complicate a very complicated software even further.

1 Like

No offence taken. I agree with all your points and understand the issues, if you had read all my responses later on in this thread you would have understood my point and position somewhat more. My point is that whilst mandatory updates are required I have been looking to see if there is a better way of applying them to avoid the issues I spoke of in my first post.

Other than a small delay I can’t see an easy way to achieve this but I have found a work around if I have a multi player event coming up say on the next day when an update has been announced, I just start MFS the night before and leave it running. This works perfectly well and shows that this is possible in a way as I will be flying with an un-updated sim while others may have updated. Granted there may be issues or conflicts but maybe not and if not at least my planned flight was not posponed.

Cloud services are generally hosted locally. In the US there are Azure server farms across the country that serve the different regions in order to get the best performance for a customer. If the data center for US Azure was in Seattle, Los Angeles based customers would get a much better experience than those in New York for example.

As such, international data centers for Azure services can be updated at different times.

Hopefully they will add more data centers in other parts of the world. We have none in South America, or other Southern Hemisphere regions.

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate the problem that having pilots on different versions causes testing and problem solving issues and my concern is not about the strength of servers but the mandatory nature of updates which often delays being able to join a schedule group flight. Based upon the replies so far it seems that there is no real need to make updates immediately mandatory because as you say the updates are done at different times for different countries/regions/servers. Even Microsoft’s other “little” software Windows 10 does not mandate updates. Maybe Asobo will put a time limit on updates giving a user 24 or 48 hours to run the update. Anyway I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Have a happy and safe 2021.

I do not have a lot of free time and when I have the desire to play this flight simulator, I want to play it. I dd not want to wait over night or even more than 10 minutes. I am not a gamer so I guess I’m not used to waiting for stuff like this. I downloaded it once. I can understand the occasional update, but not ever single time I want to play the game. All I can say is, it is frustrating and I am done playing it. Wasted money is what I call it.

2 Likes

Please don’t.

Mandatory updates always had an error on Microsoft Store, I need to delete FS2020 package and then donwload everything from A-Z

1 Like

I partially agree with the original request. I’ve been developing apps for 10+ years and while there are some updates that truly are mandatory, many are not.

Very rarely do we modify backend services to the point they break compatibility with the current release. Typically new server features are added that new client side releases can take advantage of, but the core APIs remain compatible.

Think about all the cloud enabled apps on your phone, how often are you FORCED to update to a new version? Typically you’ll get a notification that a new app is available with new features or bug fixes, but you aren’t required to update unless you’re REALLY out of date.

Additionally, the majority of the files in MS/Asobo’s 20+ GB updates are new assets/models as part of the world updates that I frankly don’t care about right now. The actual executable files are pretty small and could be updated in minutes, not hours.

These surprise hour+ delays are making it very difficult for me to practice in the rare free moments between work, home life and actual flight lessons. At the very least, they should allow you to postpone an update like you can with Windows Updates. Even pushing the update back up to 24 hours would probably satisfy most of us so we can just let it update after finishing a session.

2 Likes