PMDG 737 development was stopped for few weeks, announcements on release date on hold

This is really bad news!! If MS/Asobo can’t keep PMDG on board, I fear for other well known quality developers!

17 Likes

Bad news indeed…

1 Like

They never said they would jump off MSFS. all they are saying is that they need to wait for Asobo to fix some issues. but lets make DRAMA…

51 Likes

Unfortunately what i can feel is that MSFS is focusing on cash… with additional packages like RENO AIR, third party aircraft… once you’ve given your money, it doesn’t come back to you anymore! as long as MSFS doesn’t focus on fixing the game before making money, many developers will be stuck!

7 Likes

@TFEV1909 Slightly misleading(Fake News) title you have there! RR never said it was on hold. He simply gave answers for the future if the road map is not consistent to PMDG’s development needs for the 737.

5 Likes

MSFS needs to make cash cause they are having a complete studio (Asobo) working constantly on mostly free updates but we all only paid once for the game.
PMDG also want cash for their work and it is understandable too.

7 Likes

Well it is a bit more than that:

Quotes:
That is an oddly shaped turn of phrase- and I want to explain a bit further what we are trying to convey: We are not just announcing a delay, or that we are moving the release timeline 30 days or 60 days or 120 days or 365. We are not saying the 737 won’t release in January, February, or any other month in 2022. What we are saying is that we are putting a temporary hold on giving you any expectation as to when the release might happen because the release is going to be dependent upon some changes that we have requested from Asobo and we do not currently have any clarity as to when we might expect those changes to be made, if at all.

I must be honest though and say that we are very concerned about continued disruptions to forward progress because of problems introduced by updates in this manner. The worst that might happen is that all development stops while we wait for the next update cycle to roll around so that we can get a fix for a breaking change- and that truly is a worst-case-scenario that I didn’t worry about until this last update cycle.

20 Likes

" the release is going to be dependent upon some changes that we have requested from Asobo and we do not currently have any clarity as to when we might expect those changes to be made, if at all."

“If the changes will not be made, then we will be faced with removing some core functionality that we feel is important to the full enjoyment of the 737, no matter what platform you sim on.”

“Additionally, we have hit a few key areas of the 737 that we did not anticipate would give us this much trouble because the code for the 737 is very mature, well vetted and thoroughly tested. Unfortunately, the lack of adequate debugging tools, combined with a series of problems that were introduced to the developer tools with the release of SU7 caused extensive build-times and CTDs when working in the developer environment and this brought all 737 development to a stop for a few weeks unexpectedly.”

" I must be honest though and say that we are very concerned about continued disruptions to forward progress because of problems introduced by updates in this manner."

God have mercy on our souls.

2 Likes

I don’t agree. If you say you are waiting for issues to be fixed, and you don’t know if they will be fixed at all, you are basically putting it on hold. Nothing misleading there.

I’m not making drama, I’m just sharing this bad news, as I was really looking forward to this A/C.

12 Likes

Let’s approach this the positive way…
PDMG takes development very seriously and refuses to release their products for as long as it doesn’t meet their high standards.
I do remember their 747 in the early days and it felt soooo well.
I’m sure that their 737 and 777 will not come with low prices but will be worth every $/€/£/¥/ etc.
Not sure about their DC-6 but I know people who fly it and are very excited

6 Likes

Which is why it’s concerning when PDMG says they don’t know if the changes they need from Asobo will be made at all…

5 Likes

To be honest, after a first read of this poetic proza I feel that PMDG is acting a bit like a perfectionist. I even understand why developers are now so overly careful to release products as our community has changed so much from simmers to gamers and the moment they find the slightest of faults they come to these fora with phrases such as COMPLETELY BROKEN! UTTERLY DESTROYED! RUINED MY EXPERIENCE! SHORTENED MY LIFE EXPECTANCY and TOTAL MONEY GRABBING RUBBISH and hence scaring of potential buyers that rely on such overly emotional statements.

This is new though. We didn’t had a community like this back at FSX/P3D or Xplane. We old simmers realize how much work is needed, how some faults are only found in excessive use or complex scenarios and how (some) of our developers fix that in their work-in-progress updates. We experience a relationship of trust and understanding with most of the well-known developers and we also know which ones indeed to avoid.

Anyway. PMDG now holding off their release date to put some pressure on Asobo mostly sounds like politics. I’d love a good PMDG and I wouldn’t mind the weather/terrain radars not yet working (as I strongly believe this is what they suggest now as a reason to hold things off). I love flying the not-yet-perfect FBW and the not-yet-perfect CRJ. I sure wouldn’t mind flying a not-yet-perfect 737 and wait for development to be completed over time. Please don’t be a perfectionist on my behalf. I know you have your act together.

…And finally, yes, I do understand how this MSFS-update process adds extra frustrations and costs to developers and they should really sit down with each other at some point and pick a dot on the horizon. I suppose the thing that is new, is that old addons were developed for sims that werent really that important as scenery-platforms. It basically was pretty rubbish at some point but it never changed so developers knew there way around to spice things up with their products. The sim itself becoming a core default element now is absolutely great for us simmers and I suppose developers too need to share a bit of their old and comfortable space and embrace MS20 for the stunning digital environment that it’s about to become as I’m pretty sure Microsoft won’t stop at flight simulators for this particular product: they are catching the entire world in their cloud and they intent to use it eventually. New game-battlefields too will never look the same.

17 Likes

Well, being perfectionists is what gave them their reputation and why their products are considered among the bests.
The release it perfect or not at all.
A very good attitude and justifying the price they charge.

Actually I’d prefer more developers be like this so we do not have to struggle with rushed releases and go from hotfix to hofix…

21 Likes

No development is not on hold if PMDG continue to develop other areas of the model.

The RELEASE may be on hold but that doesn’t mean development is.

1 Like

OK, I’ll agree on that one. They have been on hold (a stop for a few weeks), and the future is very uncertain. I’ll reword the topic title slightly then :wink:

1 Like

I wonder what all those breaking features are…do developers get other release notes with hidden changes? Cause when I read the release notes, I always wonder what is the breaking thing dev x or y are talking about? Just be transparent and say what it is…dont get it, sry

2 Likes

I wonder if they have rowed back on their decision that was originally stopping them from coming in board on the first place.

They wanted to port over their code as is from previous sims, and Asobo wouldn’t budge. Even if they did, it would probably preclude it from ever appearing on the XBox.

Cutting to the chase, but is this all to do with Asobo (for reasons best known to themselves) refusing to unlock some key design parameters for aircraft?

Or am I on the wrong track here?

Wasn’t it external code to the sim they wanted to run? Not sure if it was flight model or avionics related.

1 Like

They said originally that FS " won’t accept our code", so maybe.

1 Like