PMDG 737 vs Maddog MD-80

Let the fight begin !!!
Feel free to respectfully bash your opponent :blush:

1 Like

Too funny. Well, the Maddog I was able to download and install right away without all kinds of server problems.

Guess that does not really count though.

5 Likes

That’s a good point

1-0 Maddog !!

(I feel this is gonna be a full time job to count. Lol)

Bashing isn’t really respectful, no matter what. Please follow the Code of Conduct and be:

Respectful
Relevant
Constructive
Informative

Thanks.

5 Likes

Not had a chance to purchase yet but system wise the maddog is pretty comprehensive. FPS wise the maddog will probably win ok. 737 cabin looks a bit cheap but I never normally go in to them anyway. I still ‘believe it will be personal choice as to which is better.

While I prefer Airbus in general over both of them. If I had to make a choice between the two, I’d pick PMDG 737. Mostly because I dislike and avoid analog instruments whenever possible. The 737 NG is more modern and have a lot of digital instruments which excites me over analog ones. MD is too old for my taste.

But still, my fav civilian aircraft so far is the A350 (excited for DFD release) and for military is the F-35, mostly because of the same reason, digital display.

3 Likes

The MD don’t interest me because I don’t think she is currently in service with any US commercial airlines. I Like modern jetliners.

There are still a few that do. Mostly cargo and corporate transport though now day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_McDonnell_Douglas_MD-80_operators

1 Like

It all comes down to whT kind of experience your looking for, i like the the MD-80 because its a little more challenging to master and its old school, I love vintage. Its been a very rewarding experience so far with the Maddog. These are completely two different airliners, each with its own set of challenges. Again i think it all comes down on what your looking for. But in reality i dont think one is better than the other…

2 Likes

At least I can buy and download the Maddog. Does that count as a win? :laughing:

1 Like

I prefer the maddog, both are really good but the maddog does feel like more complete experience imo, and not in early access.

Full EFB, no bugs, superb flight dynamics etc. The 737 is FOR NOW lacking in certain aspects, such as simbrief integration, once it comes out of early access it might be a different story though

1 Like

And the answer is… BAE 146!

Actually, I bought the Trislander. I’m gonna let y’all find all the quirks in the MD-80, 737, and 146 and then I’ll buy one or two of them down the road once they’ve all released an update or two.

Wish they’d done the 717 instead of the MD-80, since those are still flying in Hawaii. If I want retro jetliners, I want a 727. Or a 707 with 1959-level systems!

4 Likes

Different planes,
The Mad Dog is awesome, The 737 Is also awesome. The Mad Dog really captures the blend between old and the not so new stuff. I love both.

If I had to answer the old which one would you pick if you could only have one it would be the 737 because it is newer. But make no mistake, the Mad Dog although more expensive, is one hell of an add-on and dont underestimate it.

Is it as refined as the PMDG bird? No way, but it is a plane from a bygone era, I mean it has parts cobbled together from the space shuttle I think.

2 Likes

The 737 is a ■■■■ :smiley:
The MadDog is a long stylish aerodynamic sharp-looking airplane.

One point for the swept wing design, and the rear-mounted engine looks and overall design MadDog! But it is not the 737 fault looking not as cool and sharp as the MadDog - she was born this way and is just not meant to look fast and futuristic but has a more casual airliner design.

The cockpit of the PMDG 737 is absolute top-notch, highest quality, superb textures. Endless options to customize the cockpit, the BEST fluffy seats every fan of fluffy and cute things has ever seen. The illumination of the cockpit is superior, and the functionality too ( - minus the infamous weather radar problem).

One point for the PMDG 737!

Maybe one point for the MadDog: It has some stylish uniqué features on the outside like a Radome and turbine covers that can be opened:

But the next point goes to the 737 for the most detailed and feature-rich cockpit ever created!

Not an easy fight, both competitors are the best of the best. Only time will tell which airplane will get more variants, more features, more support :smiley:

Oh the PMDG 737 has glowing brake disks that can fade, and the choice of using carbon or steel brakes! AMAZING another point for the PMDG absolute study level depth.

3 Likes

My preference at the moment is the maddog only because I’m old and from the era of ins navigation. However I will be flying both on a regular basis

2 Likes

How dare you?! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Both see to be similarly complex, well developed MSFS aircraft, which, by co-incidence (?) have roughly the same size (Complex ?) WASM Module - not that size matters …

Just get them all

1 Like

Why not … may as well get XP12 at the same time, so you have everything you deserve to have.

I’m still waiting for them to go on the flight sim marketplace