PMDG Douglas DC-6

CelNav for MSFS - Celestial navigation sextant

1 Like

Anyone know why the airplane wouldn’t move using reverse thrust when on the apron prior to takeoff if I’m performing all start up procedures myself? Reverse thrust works when I use the plane with the AFE. Just curious as to what steps I’m missing; I’m following a well-written and complete guide on cold and dark startup that I found on flightsim.to. The rest of my flight, including reverse thrust at landing, works fine and I’ve got this plane pretty well down, just this one weird issue.

Reverse thrust on the ground at a gate/parking spot can, at times, be problematic. If you review the Cloudmaster sub-forum on PMDG’s forum, you will see a number of posts discussing this.

It’s entirely possible you did everything correctly, but the place you had the aircraft parked was preventing the reverse from happening.

I’d try again in an alternate location or even the same space in a different session.

2 Likes

Thanks, wasn’t sure I’d get such a fast reply on such an old thread. Appreciate you -

1 Like

I saw somebody else with the same problem (different plane I think) and this was the issue. The gate they were parked at. They restarted at a different gate and reverse thrust worked fine (might have been the ATR). When you have the problem in the future, maybe turn on slew mode (Y key by default), back up a bit, and see if it works?

Good call, just starting to play around with slew mode more. Seemed dangerous for CTDs and messed-up flights but the sim honestly plays pretty nicely whenever I end up slewing.

1 Like

Reverse thrust on the DC6 and the C118A was not designed for backing up off a gate!!! It was for slowing down on the runway after landing, thats what towbars and tractors are used for. Lets get realistic with this airplane and treat her right.

This Douglas promotional film would indicate differently:

3 Likes

As does PMDG’s official tutorial series.

2 Likes

Imagine being so sure of something when being wrong.

1 Like

Yeah, I was just rockin with the tutorial vids and doing what Robert was telling me

I watched that video also and it is very good advertising. I said prop reverse was not designed for backing out of a parking area but for landing and aiding the brakes for stopping the aircraft. Keep in mind the the DC6’s R2800 engines arecooled and once the props are reversed there isn’t any cooling air so any prolonged reversing could harm an engine.

1 Like

“
an advantage in parking and storing.”

And here’s the United States Army Air Forces risking the entirety of the Manhattan Project by reversing the Enola Gay Bockscar over the bomb loading pit in the heat of the day at Tinian in the Marianas around ~18:35.

3 Likes

Well, if you want to build your defense on playing with words then let’s not forget that @Red81Trekker was asking about actual use of prop reversing and not about its design (you may be right on that one, of course; only that was not the question).

Also, in my opinion, the excessive use of exclamation marks was perhaps not appropriate.

Yep. Being wrong is okay (we all are sometimes) but if you use excessive amounts of exclamation marks you have to be 100 % sure of your thing.

He‘s right though. It wasn‘t designed for it, it‘s simple physics that it works. Neither is it recommended today nor is it a good idea regarding wear of the engine. They might have been proud of it in the 50‘s, today you‘d probably have a date with your boss after doing it.

Anyway, as said a couple of times here: it‘s a sim bug and has to do with the wind.

To be fair, in period “gates” weren’t the same, you’d park at an angle & just taxi away ( as still happens at London City ).

Many low cost airlines today do that as well, many airports have hard stands that I would typically use with the DC6. I don‘t park at gates if I don‘t have to and would even prefer any open area on the apron to a jetway :sweat_smile:

Regarding the reversers: obviously any reverser can reverse the airplane, that‘s the whole point of the thrust being reversed. But in MSFS propeller reverse thrust has a bug where it depends on the relative direction of the wind. As long as you land and move quickly the reversers brake you down. But if you‘re parked and try to back out of a parking place it depends on the wind, whether it comes from the front or the back.

3 Likes

Looks like someone, today, has a date with his boss

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn‘t exactly consider any Military a cost efficient handler :sweat_smile:

The bearings on the propeller shafts are made to absorb and transmit pulling forces. It‘s not healthy for the engine to do that at all. They won‘t obviously won‘t burst into pieces but doing it regularily will definitely increase maintenance cost. And with radial engine spare parts not becoming cheaper over time it‘s a consideration how you want to treat your fleet.

1 Like