Poll: How many MSFS users have a VR headset of any kind?

Since it came up in another thread, and I had never created a poll before, I wanted to ask a simple question, and was looking for some feedback. How many of us use VR for flight simulation? I wasn’t 100% sure how to ask the question, and toyed with adding in options for other simulators.

I also didn’t want to put this into the VR group specifically as that’s kind of a captive audience there, but feel free to move it if you feel that would be more suitable. :slight_smile:

• I don’t use VR
  • I use VR with MSFS

0 voters

5 Likes

Have one (Valve Index) but only as a curiosity thanks to an impulse purchase; it’s absolutely not my primary method of flight and will not be for many years.

The low resolution of modern VR headsets makes it very hard to read the avionics displays beyond the first-tier information, and the inability to see where my hands and physical controls are means the much-vaunted “immersion” is constantly being broken by me sssllllowwwwlllyyyy inching my hands around the desk feeling my way for particular switches or the mouse.

Really cool tech demo though! Some day it’ll be usable full-time instead of once in a while for funsies, but today is not that day. :wink:

6 Likes

VR was the best experience I ever had!
This headset was uncomfortable as hell and difficult to wear with long hair and pressing on the back of the head - but it was the most awesome gaming experience I ever had.

This was my PlayStation Pro with VR equipment.
After Sony let Ace Combat 7 VR and Alien Isolation VR and even the Resident Evil 7 DLCs and many other superb games that could have easily ported to VR just die and fully gave up on that system in 2019 - I have sold the PSVR headset enraged and wanted to buy a PC VR after hearing the first time about the new Flight Sim 2020 in the making.
Because with some Oculus or VIVE there I can fly the Flight Sim and DCS in VR, and have many other games too.
But it will take a while until I can buy a new headset (and of course I will give the PS5 VR a new chance - because there is no better gaming than 3D experience!).

I can highly recommend playing in VR - it is the best experience one can have, there is no more immersion possible than with VR.
In my opinion 3D VR is the best gaming experience even possible and I absolutely recommend buying a headset because only with a headset you are truly IN THERE inside the cockpit with the cockpit around you.

It´s beyond awesome and impressive, and VR flying is the most funny thing one can experience. Especially if there is photorealism like in the new Flight Sim 20!
PUREST AWESOMNESS.
Fully 3D with real height under the plane and really sitting inside a cockpit… only with an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive you are REALLY THERE inside a Cessna :smiley:

It can´t get any better than flying VR believe me, even a simple arcade game like Ace Combat becomes a life-changing experience and I imagine every day how great the Flight Sim 20 will be to fly when finally having some Oculus headset.

4 Likes

I got MSFS when it first released on gamepass. Flew around a little bit, thinking “oh that’s neat” and within a few days I wasn’t playing anymore.

Then I tried VR when that was released a few months later. WOW! This literally caused me to upgrade everything to top of the line stuff. Now I’m flying VR almost every day, for hours at a time!

I’ll never fly 2D again.

I hear that same sentiment from other VR flyers on discord as well.

15 Likes

That’s weird, cause it’s the opposite of my experience. Every time I take off the VR headset and go back to a flat screen I’m like “WOW! I can read the screen again and see things in the distance!” :slight_smile:

A chacun son gout. :wink: (To each their own taste!)

3 Likes

I think, imo, that VR is a good option when you have other games or app that can be used with. I dont think it worth just for MSFS, once it is still “under development” here. But…if you have one, use it! Mainly those that have a better definition like Quest 2

1 Like

Here you can see the US Air Force training with DCS and a VR headset, it is so realistic flying this way that it can be used for training purposes:

NOTHING is better than flying in VR. NOTHING. :wink:
Imagine how the awesome photorealistic cockpits of Flight Sim 20 will look like in fully 3D around you with perfect photorealistic scenery outside the cockpit windows… :wink:

edit:
Can a VR headset be tested or rented somewhere to know which one is best for PC?

4 Likes

Not VR but I do have track IR

4 Likes

I have a Vive. I don’t use it for MSFS though.

But I’ll agree with the sentiment that flight sim in VR is the most immersive VR experience you can have. I love flying in VTOL VR where it’s 100% VR controls. Even something with as lowly graphics as UtraWings to me is more amazing due to all VR controls.

Having to use VR and a mouse in MSFS for me breaks the immersion factor completely. I prefer my cockpit layout with my Air Manager touch screens, Knobster and other physical controls.

3 Likes

Samsung Odyssey + here. Using it for MSFS and iRacing.

2 Likes

G2 here. Cant go back. Never.

9 Likes

Valve Index. I’m another one who could never go back to pancake flying.

3 Likes

Reverb g2. Love it!

5 Likes

Wow, I’m surprised that more are using than VR than not. I guess that’s not true overall, but represents the fact that you have to be farily hardcore into the sim to have a forum account in the first place, still it’s encouraging.

I have a Reverb G2 and love it. I was also using a Quest 2 up until a month ago, which I still highly recommend for those wanting an affordable all around VR headset and to dip their toes in MSFS VR.

It’s definitely the future, I have a 70 4K TV as my monitor and flying on that feels like I’m watching a Youtube video. No interest in flat screen any more, although I expect a triple screen cockpit setup is probably equally awesome as VR.

Reverb G2; there is definitely no way back!

2 Likes

I use a valve index with msfs, mostly only for general aviation as I find the airliners are a little hard to handle in VR.

The only other game I really do in VR is iRacing.

More to the point, I think VR users are more likely to click on this topic, as a person without VR is likely to go ‘Nope, not me…’ and rather than come answer the survey, go read something else.

5 Likes

:upside_down_face: many VR people answering here… votes are 65% VR and 35% non-VR (??)

You just need more buttons! I don’t need to use the mouse much, but I do use it. Everything I need on a GA flight is on my controls somewhere. I also built some little USB button boxes using arduinos with rotary knobs and such for radio tuning, or heading bugs, etc. It can be done, its easier than you might think.

Started with an Oculus Rift CV1, then got an HP Reverb G1 and now have an HP Reverb G2.