Poll: How many MSFS users have a VR headset of any kind?

For the record, I do have an original HTC Vive, but I don’t use it any more, and I haven’t used it in MSFS, so I voted no.

Its interesting that as the number of participants have increased it has stayed at around the 65% mark, with an earlier increase to 66%.

Hehe. That is possibly true but if nothing else I think the comments on here show the enthusiasm for VR which is only growing, hopefully Asobo makes its VR improvements soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

The reason I asked this question was because the developer of the Pilatus PC-6 was demonstrating figures from a Navigraph poll that 81.7% of their subscribers don’t own a VR headset.

I then pulled up figures from the most recent Steam survey, and it reports that only 2.07% of users who responded have a VR headset.

Flight simulation seems to buck those trends.

I have no idea how many owners of MSFS there are, nor how many people are registered on the forums, nor how many of them are active.

If you look at the most numerous badge awarded, for reaching TL1, there are 88161.

Only 409 of those so far have seen, or taken time, to participate.

As someone earlier wrote, VR people are more likely to vote yes on this poll, but this still shows how small a market this is for developers to spend engineering time on.

That’s not an attempt to diminish its importance, but attempting to get some perspective. If Asobo had flat out stated that VR would never be supported, now, or in the future, it would still be a roaring success.

But if its easy to implement, then why not. There is clearly an audience here.

Precisely, a better poll would be one that includes all types of Displays with the title worded accordingly. I did one over at Race Department (Sim racing forum) awhile back and the results for VR were very impressive, might be worth creating a better poll.

Or just change the name of it as it is still active?

But I just wanted yes/no answer to whether they have a headset or not, not caring about what kind of display they have as that is of no interest to a developer or whether they should invest time developing VR support. They have a display, that is enough.

One that would list different types of Displays would be best, especially for those that use Triple Displays it may show Asobo that they need just as much attention as VR users.

That just makes the question wordier, unless it was like “What kind of display device(s) do you use with MSFS?”

Yes that would be the title with options to then vote for…!

1 Like

Too late to change this one, but this does seem to indicate that there are a lot of VR users out there, way more than I would have guessed.

■■■■ 6! I’d try another headset!

I mean does it matter?
The VR feature was quickly added to MSFS later that December because we had a huge vocal demand for it along with Asobo themselves being huge VR enthusiasts and we have very active dedicated VR subforums on mostly every flightsim message board and Reddit. The whole “VR is a tiny percentage of the flight community” rhetoric is pretty silly to continue grasping at in 2021, and TrackIR is an ancient dinosaur bone at this point.:rofl:

1 Like

I have vive original, but i don’t use it, its collecting dust

The OG Vive cannot be compared with modern HMDs in terms of resolution. Maybe it’s because?!

Probably, i just think they are too clunky and heavy and make my face sweat anyway, when they are the size of a pair of glasses i might go back to VR

2 Likes

That’s probably true. I’d imagine the flight sim community is already a pretty niche, enthusiast market, and people within this community are statistically far more likely to be interested in VR than those within the mainstream PC gaming market.

1 Like

After flying VR, I would never ever go back to 2D.

Reverb G2 with RTX 3080.

The experience is absolutely amazing! It’s like actually being there.

4 Likes

You are exactly the sort of user I was talking about though - those that have tried relatively high end VR and can see future potential, but it doesn’t yet tick all the boxes for you.

What I find curious and would honestly love to hear the reasoning behind is someone that can try a high end VR set up and come to the conclusion that it is a, to quote, “gimmick”.

For what it’s worth I’m not sold on VR controllers for flight sim, and yes I’ve tried various Sims that use them such as X-plane and aerofly. I currently fly all VR sims with actual hardware, an FCU style button box and a trackball mouse. There are some really cool projects like authentikit which basically combine a customisable cockpit so that real buttons and levers match up with the virtual… you may also find videos of DCS where people have real MFDs lined up perfectly with the virtual or even full scale cockpits but fly in VR. The drawback here to me is that you are naturally limited in the number or type of planes you fly if you want to maintain the “illusion”.

For me the goal is really just reliable markerless hand tracking combined with real controls. Haptic gloves to get some feedback of buttons would be nice but not necessary for it to be a great experience. What I want ultimately is just to be able to let go of my joystick and have my hand appear in VR to reach out and manipulate virtual controls. It’s all technologically possible already and has been done with eg magic Leap, but it really needs just a cohesive and widespread implementation.

Oculus is probably the most interesting in this whole aspect as they already have very impressive hand tracking built into the quest 2 with no additional hardware required, and you may have seen demos of upcoming software where they bring the real keyboard into the virtual office for example - not dissimilar to bringing real controls into a flight sim if that’s your wish.

1 Like

I got a Quest 2 shortly after they brought VR to the sim last December. Its given me a glimpse into the potential of VR but for me generally speaking the performance just isn’t there yet. There’s pros and cons to VR for sure.

The sim looks so beautiful in full 4K on a big monitor with everything on ultra. VR puts you in the cockpit but the beauty of the world just isn’t there. Plus I’ve got all my flight panels and buttons and knobs on my X56 assigned. I like to see everything. There’s a different type of immersive experience playing 2D on a monitor.

1 Like

Thanks for that I am happy with the Quest 2 for the moment. VR is the way to go; every flight I get a ‘wow’ moment and it really helps the immersion for me; I used it once and sold my monitor the next day and never looked back.

1 Like

I tried to „balance“ the statistics here a bit (I don‘t have a VR headset), but thought exactly the same: the keyword „VR“ probably attracts more VR owners than non-VR owners :wink:

1 Like