[Polls] World Update XI: Canada Discussion

Hello Gang! I have a 1GB internet connection and I had never experienced the Zombie Apocalypse PM issue until SU10. Any idea what may be going on here? Toronto’s CN Tower looks like an asteroid hit it and got embedded in it. Everythiung else is buttered down. What in the world?

Dennis

Those are EXCELLENT additions to my process! Especially the touch wood one… super important! :slight_smile:
I’m serious.

1 Like

You folks might want to take a look at a parallel thread over here - and my posting describing the difference between Yandex, Google, and Bing imagery of the same area.

Viz.,
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/why-do-we-need-scenery-updates-if-we-use-downloaded-data-anyway/546486/18

Spoiler:  The Bing imagery of that area is quite dated and looks like a children’s collage of small pictures pasted together.  However imagery by Yandex and Google is much more recent and looks like reality.

I can understand things being all messed up if they’re basing their photometric imaging on such baseline data.  (Garbage in, garbage out)  If the baseline data is all balled up, there’s no amount of AI that’s going to make it good again.

The $64,000 question is why does Bing have to use such [junk] when it is obvious that much better imagery is available.  If Google and Yandex can afford images that look like reality, why not Bing?

What say ye?

2 Likes

The falls looked much better before the update. Used to light up at night too but now it’s not lit. I don’t understand why they would do that.

2 Likes

Try comparing to Google Maps 3D imagery, I know Bing is using the same imagery as Google Maps but always months older (if they ever update the imagery in the first place, Bing is known for it’s extremely outdated imagery).
I know Bing uses the exact same map imagery as Google because Bing last month updated the imagery of my city with 1 year old imagery that Google had in April of last year, same cars in the same places, same exact reflections, same exact areas under construction

I agree. This partial shot was from my Xbox back in June.

2 Likes

The PG looked great on Australia, Italy and Spain updates. Don’t remember many melted structures there.
Perhaps it is just difficult to do with many high rise structures especially close together or something. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Looks like bad net connection to the servers. Reboot modem router and machine and try again. If it keeps on like this then you can get a copy of pingplotter (free), start the sim, start the flight, now open windows task manger, click the performance tab and at the bottom left you will see a button to launch resource montior. Open that go into the top window of that and click on fps. Now look down to where it says connection (should be 4 or 5 there) write down the address of the 1st two (the ones that are have the most data running through them). Now you can close the sim.

Now open pingplotter, and enter the 1st connection you wrote down from resource monitor for the sim. Let it run a few min and look to see what your actual network connection is showing. You are looking for connections that show high packet loss or latency en route from your machine to the destination.

Ignore any hosts that report 100 Packet Loss this is normal some routers/systems will show this for security reasons. If you have any others reporting packet loss or latency there will be your culprit.

If your seeing loss on your ISP’s network call and complain (nicely) and explain to them what is going on. Maybe they’ll fix it maybe they wont. Anything beyond the last hop of your local ISP having issues, well sorry there is nothing you can do about that.

Dealing with your ISP can be quite an issue since your likely to connect and get a tier 1 person who doesnt understand and will tell you that since your getting 1024 to the speed test, thats all they will cover. If your persistant and eventuly break through the tier level 1 people you might actually see some relief, and maybe not it depends on your isp and how well you present the case.

I had a similar issue as above with Spectrum, and Its taken over a year to get them to make things better, and even then its only a little better to date.

Yes really. Offense taken.

Meh I ping 5 always to USA east, <60 to West and under 80 to Europe, and can top 850mbit/s downloads in native xbox updates, completely random within MSFS, but 700+ on good days. And Niagara is a horror show in PG right now. I never even went there before the update. I’m dumping this WU and trying it again.

I would say PG is my biggest bane in this game, even the ‘best’ areas are meh, I’m happy with old school rendered landmarks, even if lower fidelity than an airport with passengers inside. Paulo Riccardo’s Santos Dumont pretty much re-does every building in Rio(and doesn’t even mention it in the airport description), albeit with somewhat generic textures, and just the sheer amount of detailed crisp buildings in the right heights at the right places trumps anything PG has rendered yet. And DrZ’s DC or Fly Tampa’s Vegas, etc-It just seems to me that’s the way all major cities looked in FS2000. I don’t do this to fly between buildings, but back in the day you could tell from any one screen shot what city you were looking at.

That’s a good idea. But then, London looks like a collapsed cake and those buildings aren’t really that high. I think it’s just quality of data + server load at the time.

Funny how some areas do look considerably sharper and more detailed AND run smoother though. Spain is very good for me.

3 Likes

I’m not seeing this and wonder why the difference. In my setup (decent PC and 1g internet) each and every building in Toronto is melted to varying degrees including the new towers just to the east of the CN Tower which have some of their pieces floating in the air. Vancouver is similar with only a small improvement, and Montreal is barely ‘ok.’ All these cities looked great after SU10 and prior to WU11.

Interestingly, I now see various PG regressions in other parts of the world including German cites. What I also experience, is anywhere I fly with compromised PG results in my sim taking a significant performance hit with stutters, mini-freezes and panning difficulties, as the PG struggles to inject and simply cannot. Prior to WU11 my sim ran smoothly most everywhere. Something global appears to have taken a step backwards as a result of this latest WU and I just hope Asobo get to the bottom of this quickly.

London was older. I havent been there in a while, usually just in distance when landing at EGLL or EGKK. Must go have a look.
Sydney was also great in Australia update and it had many tall buildings downtown. All streamed at peak hours after release I should add.

1 Like

Ping means nothing. Did you know an ISP can have speed tests show what you shoud be getting, while still limiting thing like amount of bandwidth certain other connections get.

Unless you know what your actual network connection quality is you’ll never know for sure. The only sure way to detect a real problem and where it lies is in the above procedure I outlined above.

You can try this site as well they’ll at least show you how much latency your dealing with.

1 Like

For giggles. This is just off wifi on my iPhone so not a real test :slight_smile:

I’ll try with wired gigabit on my PC later. Thanks for the link!

EDIT:
Wired on PC. Not Good “currently” for low latency gaming - does that mean just shooters/racing?! @BubbaBlitz7348 (sorry to tag you but thought you may not see my edit otherwise :wink:

The terrain close to Vancouver looks much better, and the added PG by Pearson is appreciated. But this… is just an immersion breaker…

3 Likes

Next you’ll be bad mouthing Birch Hills :scream::thinking:

There must be a reason why Microsoft took down their Canada promotional video?

Prob because of all of the errors in it. Calgary being labelled as Edmonton, YTZ being labelled as YYZ etc.

I was hoping they took it down to correct the obvious?