[Polls] World Update XI: Canada Discussion

Just starting the discovery flight for Vancouver, you find that the photogrammetry that replaced the autogen buildings is all just flat roofs embedded into the ground. Vancouvers big buildings you can see are about 10-15 miles away, but the entire area up to that point is not 3D. You are flying over a 2D map of Vancouver, because everything is just a bitmap of the roof on the ground.

Hi @tgbushman,

Are you by chance using any mods? I just started the Vancouver Discovery Flight and flew over the same area from your screenshot, but all my buildings appear properly in full 3D.

Edit: on closer inspection of your image, it appears from the colourful Autumn trees in your screenshot that you might be using a “Seasons” mod. Try removing it and flying the Discovery Flight again. We’ve seen that mod cause issues with previous World Updates before.

5 Likes

Well now I am checking for conflicts. Everyone is complaining about the photogrammetry for Vancouver, I thought that was how it was for everyone… lol

Planeguy’s DEM for Vancouver Island (from flightsim.to). Once I removed that, my buildings were no longer just roofs painted on the ground.

1 Like

I suspected your issue was likely mod-related. We always encourage people to remove/disable their addons before reporting issues because very often problems are caused by mods (even ones that seem unrelated, such as a Vancouver Island DEM mod affecting scenery in the Lower Mainland) and not the sim itself.

Glad to hear it’s working for you now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Originally being from that area, this one would have been nice since it’s been so absent and is such an iconic natural landmark. Although the entire south coast of la Gaspésie is a series of terrain spikes and holes that have been there since the sim launched. Taking off from CYVB you can see several terrain spikes. As you work your way West along the coast line and start encountering major rivers like rivière Bonaventure and rivière Grande-Cascapédia, they’re nothing but giant pits and spikes. It’s not a pleasant area to fly in. Same thing flying east towards Gaspé. It’s been a series of holes and spikes since launch. Such a shame considering that’s such a scenic area to fly.

Luckily, a kind modder released fixes for these terrain glitches not long after launch and that mod still works today and I install it before flying there.

3 Likes

Its cyvb :wink:

1 Like

Yes it is. My dyslexic fingers struck again. Lol. Will go fix that… Thank you sir.

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple more flights I plan to do tomorrow in Canada, but after that I unfortunately have decided to uninstall the update. It just didn’t seem to improve the country. Or, what I should say is that the good and bad cancelled each other out. Mostly, I was hoping the update would bring the quality of large cities up to the same level as large cities in the U.S. or Australia. I’m bummed that it’s not what I had hoped, especially because you never know when another Canada update will come. It could be years, if ever. :frowning:

1 Like

Firstly, I appreciate you and the team getting back to us as a whole on the forum.

I’ll correct myself a little on that. I do love the current POI’s that they chose, don’t get me wrong they did a fantastic job on them, I just feel like a lot more should have been included in some of the major centres. It is a free update so I cant entirely complain, as my main focus along with many others has been on the Photogrametry and terrain issues. Had those been in a better state the handcrafted thing probably wouldn’t be an issue, at least not in my books.

Again I appreciate you and the team finally getting back to us and at least showing we are being heard and a fix may be on the horizon eventually…hopefully

1 Like

That area is such a mess, and has been even before wu11

I am currently making a fix for the entire banff to jasper valley since i had hoped it would get fixed in house this time. So if you want it:

Banff Lake Louise Waterfix » Microsoft Flight Simulator.

5 Likes

Thank you, that’s great!

Fellow Canadians and also Disney lovers (and Frozen lovers too). For this Canada World Update, I also wanted to fly the Westjet Disney livery in the PMDG 737-800 across Canada. This is what the Westjet livery looks like:

If you like the look for this livery, can you vote for someone to make the livery here at flighsim.to: WESTJET FROZEN C-GWSV | Requested by lolocool16 | Flightsim.to

I would love to fly this Westjet livery across Canada in the PMDG 737-800 :grin: This is probably the best Westjet livery I have seen. Thanks!

1 Like

Whoever does end up making that one, will be be pulling their hair out by the end. LOL. It looks like it will have to be created all by hand for the most part. Definitely not a cut and past logo job. The good news is there a lot of very talented livery artists out there, and I’m sure someone is up for the challenge.

Somebody made this Frozen Westjet livery for the PMDG 737-700 already: WESTJET FROZEN » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Unfortunately, I think the author of that livery only owns the 700 and not the 800 :rofl:

Oh…bummer. Maybe time to start a “go fund me” to get him the -800! LOL.

1 Like

So the other change needed for Vancouver is the discovery flight should start closer to downtown. The current start point of over a sewage plant is not exactly highlighting the best points of my city :frowning:

1 Like

Does anyone know if the powerlines add on effects updates and photogrammetry? Vancouver is looking melted unless it’s the update. I suspect it’s due to something I’ve added like the powerlines add on

I doubt it.
Why?
Because the X-Box have the very same melted look.

Here is my contribution

2 Likes