[Polls] World Update XI: Canada Discussion

Ookla speed test is one of the standard tests. Especially since you can tell it what to use as the server endpoint on the other end.

Example:
Say you live in Germany, you can test from Germany to New York, or Miami, or Los Angeles, or Australia, or wherever they have a test endpoint.

So, if you want to see how well things work to England (London), you can test that specifically.

Have you tried a driver update for your network card? Sometimes upgrading, (or even downgrading), a driver can be the difference between a piece of garbage and a card that is 2,000% phenomenal.

My wife’s laptop is very particular about its audio driver - every time there’s an update, I have to go in and revert the audio to the original driver version. :man_facepalming:

Your network card might be the same way. Once you find a combination of hardware and driver version that works, stick with it.

Or. . . . You might just need a new card. They do die sometimes.

1 Like

That’s one of my weak spots. I wouldn’t suspect anything to be a problem with the audio driver. And then I rarely save older drivers but trust Microsoft or whoever that they know what I need. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a good explanation of why 3D city photogrammetry often looks so wonky, especially in the CBD area with a lot of reflective high rise buildings. And a look at new tech that will improve how 3D rendering like that will turn out:

2 Likes

That’s amazing!! When will it end?

1 Like

Paris has issues, but not as bad as others. Don’t try to land on the road :wink:

And a big crater where Directorate-General for External Security is.

(That’s also blurred out on google/bing maps and blurred out in street view, very secret)

Asobo headquarters looks fine (Bordeaux)

1 Like

Hope they fix the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia. It doesn’t go under water last I checked lol.

2 Likes

Today an update for World Update Australia came out. And still no update for World Update Canada! :rage:

2 Likes

apparently it was for stability issues. honestly I don’t expect an actual update to Canada until the next World Update which is usually when they update all of them.

1 Like

OK, I finally did it - the Toronto Discovery Tour. . . .

I really don’t want to diss anyone’s home town - or anyone’s country for that matter - for as a US citizen I’d be incredibly upset if someone did that to my country.

But. . . . God help me in times of disaster!

Looking around - and depending on the view - it reminded me of:

• The opening scene of a future-sci-fi-horror flick. (The crescendo in the background music as I approached the CN tower was spot on.)
  • The city if Chernobyl after the :■■■■: hit the fan and it’d been evacuated.
  • Old pictures of Hiroshima after The Bomb had been dropped.

Oh lordy, lordy, lordy - what a mess!  Crumbling concrete on the sides of buildings.  Vegetation growing into things. . . . :man_facepalming:

You all have every right to be furious - Imagine how quickly this would have been fixed if this were Paris?

Sigh. . . .

3 Likes

What’s worse is the scenery that got replaced was of much, much higher quality. So now we have wider areas of lower quality coverage. Its obvious that very little effort or testing / QA was put into this.

4 Likes

Saying that I am absolutely aghast after seeing this with my own eyes is a masterpiece of understatement.  I cannot imagine, not even in my worst nightmares as a software test analyst; I cannot imagine how in God’s Holy Name something this balled-up got out the door.
:man_facepalming:

In any of the companies I worked at over the last several decades before I retired, anyone who had let something like that go out the door, (and actually be seen by customers!), would be fired so fast there would be a hole in the air!  I’m ashamed for my occupation when I see something that hideous.

I am amazed that someone hasn’t gotten on the plane and made a visit to either Asobo and/or Microsoft to have a few choice words with them. . . .

This is yet another example of my father’s favorite phrase:

3 Likes

I’m coming up on 30 years as a software engineer. Current serving as a team lead and systems architect. If anyone under me had rolled out something like this… well, they’d have some explaining to do.

Anyway, I’ve said my bit about this. I’m still terribly upset they somehow thought is was ok to deliver such a bungled mess for Canada. I’ll leave it at that. I don’t want to get banned again for expressing how terribly insulting this update was.

5 Likes

I don’t know about Canada, but in the U.S. truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.

“If it’s true, it stinks being you!”

1 Like

World update Canada has negatively impacted the buildings in Toronto. After all this time and these updates, melted buildings still remain there. :-1:

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: How Good is SamScene3D Vancouver

Just an update for my fellow Xbox users waiting for the Toronto/Vancouver fixes. SamScene replied to a comment on their facebook saying their version of each city should be released to Marketplace some time this month (January.)

neither was in the update yesterday but I’m hoping we don’t have to wait until the 26th for it. Ideally we shouldn’t need to rely on a 3rd party to fix a world update in the first place though so I hope this trend doesn’t continue in the future.

2 Likes

I understand how frustrating - and how disappointing it is - but, (IMHO), I would greatly prefer Asobo & Co. to concentrate on basic functionality issues in the software - even if it means that the major source of scenery updates comes from 3rd parties. Everyone has been waiting so very long for fundamental functional issue fixes - which affect a larger number of users - that I really think this should be the priority, at least for a while.

What say ye?

It has been said many times in many threads, but I’ll say it again…the team that works on world updates is different than the team that works on “basic functionality”. Stopping work on world updates would do nothing to improve “basic functionality”.

7 Likes

This is a good point, but we should also consider that resources have an opportunity cost. Perhaps that cost is worth it for world updates (I personally really enjoy them), but a separate team working on them doesn’t mean it’s costless in terms of tradeoffs.

2 Likes

like @wilco3563 said, they’re different teams. And even if that wasn’t the case, if you’re going to do it, do it right the first time. Something I wish was more prominent in the gaming industry in general, instead of launching games and fixing glitches post release.

That being said I do gotta give the teams credit, they acknowledge when they mess up and they work at fixing it once possible.

Either way we’ll see what happens once they do update everything. Hopefully this thread will be flooded with positivity from the various fixes.

2 Likes