Poor performance on the ground

@CaseBug92496684 did you have to reinstall all the applications on your machine or can you do a reinstall of Windows10 and it just recognises whatever applications you previously had installed?

For me I usually experience performance drop in final approach, landing and then taxi to gate.

I did a flight to Hamburg yesterday from Gatwick, started around 40-45fps, was around 35-40 at cruise and then landed at around 25-32ā€¦.

Is that different to what other people are seeing here? Wondering if I should reinstall Windows too.

1 Like

Definitely it seems different. The performance loss you experience is normal on every machine, there is some fps degradation with time. We talk single-digit performance in the middle of nowhere (even ocean) that disappears completely if you turn PG off. If your performance does not increase from single-digit to 40-60 fps when you turn off photogrammetry then Windows reinstallation would not have much effect. The sim works a bit smoother after reinstallation but that is normal I suppose.

2 Likes

Ah OK, thanks. Yeah its usually fine over the ocean, just this degradation and stutter on landing thats a bit annoying

1 Like

Try to load up your game at a default small airport or grass strip in the middle of nowhere, If you still have huge stuttering stuttering when panning and taxing you have the same problem as discussed in this thread.

2 Likes

The only thing that helps is a formatting of the disk and a clean install from an ISO file.

1 Like

Depends on the scenery, could be better but it sounds pretty normal and so long as you arenā€™t stuttering you donā€™t notice a drop with the fps counter turned off. Below 24 you might do but not much unless making violent manoeuvers. A bit of fine tuning should get you around 45 and 30.

1 Like

If like me you are mostly on a 1920x1080 monitor but have fairly powerful systems I thoroughly recommend changing resolution to 2560x1440 or even 4k in UserCfg.opt. as this will lessen the chance of you getting mainthread limited ā€¦ it also looks great :grinning:

2 Likes

do you have to change this in the config file or can it be done with the render scaling slider?

I am similar to you I believe a half decent system but running a 1080p monitor aswell. not quite sure how it would help the fact im limited on the mainthread but Iā€™ll certainly give it a go!

RTX3070ti
32gb ram
i9 11900k

1 Like

If you change res in UserCfg you can then extend the range with the RS slider. Unfortunately in the MSFS menu the max resolution available is that of your monitorā€™s default. For me 1080p RS 200 all ultra (except LOD) isnā€™t enough.

1 Like

This is very interesting! I will certainly try it out

1 Like

You should and the good thing is it sticks, i.e.you donā€™t need read only. The bad is that the dev mode menu is offset.

1 Like

Thatā€™s good to know so just change the values to resolution you mentioned above?

Yes and then start RS 100, ultra settings and work your way up the RS scale, sooner or later you will be gpu limited. Then start on the LODs if fps drops too much then lower RS a notch or two ā€¦ Seems crazy but it works.

1 Like

Ok so Iā€™m a little bit confused here. I just upgraded my video card and went from the EVGA 2080 Super to the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti XC3 U, which is supposed to be one of the best. With the 2080 Super my settings were high when used the default mode, but of course, I had to tweak the settings to get the best performance. I never had any issues with stuttering even after the last update, and I was getting pretty decent FR albeit not with the highest quality. so when I bought and installed the new card, everything went to ultra by default, but now I have stutters. I still had to play with the settings because performance degraded with the ultra settings. I kind of get it to where the graphics look better than before, but not by that much. I did notice that when I lowered the slider for ā€œlevel of detailā€ the stuttering kind of disappeared. Even though my PC is on the high end I still donā€™t get this sim to where i wanted. Kind of disappointed considering how expensive this video cards are. I didnā€™t even wanted to try DX12 because when I did with the 2080 super, the FR went crazy. I was also trying the Aerosoftā€™s simple traffic but not only I didnā€™t like the way the airplanes look like, but also for the sim top perform well I had to drop the AI traffic to almost 10%, which I think is ridiculous. I ended up using the static aircraft from LVFR, just bought it yesterday, and it seems to work better and do not affect the FR. granted, is just static but I think I gained in performance and looks because the airplanes look a lot better and more realistic.

1 Like

The stutters only happen if you get mainthread locked which is very easy with a high end gpu and is why I have mine at 1440p on my 1080p monitor. 45fp in the air 30 on the ground all ultra graphics suits me fine although I could get plenty more frames by lowering quality if I wanted to. Mine is just an rtx 3060 too with yours who knows the resolutions that work but they could be beyond 4k.

I have a samsung ultrawide monitor so my res is pretty high (4K) and that is the default and it has always worked fine. With the ultra it only works fine on middle to smaller airports, but with major airports is a challenge. I also notice the with the working tittle GS3000 it takes a bit to actually load the flight smoother. If I try to move or look around before that is pretty ban or unresponsive, or it can even crash the sim.

In your case you probably have LODs too high ā€¦ try not to get mainthread limited. The other solution is upgrade your cpu.

It obviously did not help to ask that you-all with normal performance problems should create your own threads instead of hijacking this one, there is a solution to the problem that this thread is about, and it is a pure reinstallation of windows, Iā€™m outā€¦

3 Likes

Agreed. This thread is going a little ā€œoff topicā€. There are a group of us here that are trying to solve a specific problem that was in the OP. Whilst understanding that people have similar symptoms, please read the earlier part of this thread to understand what weā€™re trying to achieve here. Thanks to those of you who are trying to solve this problem for the benefit of us all.

2 Likes