Poor performance on the ground

Uff! No, i did not restart after deleting the files…

Can you please restart it after deleting them and try again? let us now what you find out!

You are right. Deleting the unused files, restart and then fly helps. It would just be a pain to do this everytime. Maybe the other way around is better: Delete all PG files, restart and then only install the necessary files, and don’t forget to delete them after the flight.
WU7, KSAN, PG on USA and nordics only:

1 Like

One more to the club… yes that is exactly what I do. As a programmer I love it when a bug can be reproduced consistently. Hope the developers are able to reproduce it too so a fix can be made.

3 Likes

I’ve started to notice that when I first spawn at the gate I have around 50 FPS (Dubai OMDB)

After 30 mins that tanks to 20/25 sometimes even lower

Main thread limited and I have tried to chance some settings to be GPU limited.

Is this a bug?

3070ti
I9 11900k
32gb RAM
1TB SSD

It could different things depending on where you were 30 mins later. On the air? near the ground? at a specific airport? I read there is a bug regarding degrading performance over time in long flights.

Literally at the same gate. I let it sit for sometime because I noticed it before and wanted to check.

Hopefully fixed next update but hey not the end of world!

Im wondering if its content.xml load order? going to have a play @f14billy The developer in me is curious as well :wink:

1 Like

That is strange. You definitely want to make sure your CPU is not overheating over time and throttling to keep it cool after 30 mins or so. If the temps are in check then it could be a bug.

Good to know!

How can I check CPU temps and what should they be at?

There are many tools you can find online to monitor CPU temperatures and other things.

1 Like

Thanks do you have an estimated figure what CPU temp should be?

I sent you a private message since it is not related to this thread.

1 Like

is there any cure for stuttering when turning on the ground? (taxiiing)

Not that I know of, even with the workaround I still see stuttering when turning my head or turning the aircraft fast on the ground. Setting Offscreen terrain pre-caching to ultra helps though.

Thanks. Was about to start troubleshooting and glad i checked here first. Timer was up on W10 update and had to update then FSU… performance down considerable… will start with AU uninstall.

You only need to delete the 3D photogrammetry cities not the whole WUs to test. And remember to restart the sim after deleting. Let us know how it goes for you.

The Aus Pg had no effect. However I did find that there were some WU updates on previous WU installs in content manager. I proceeded to update 1x1. WU2 update (the update to the already installed WU2) caused additional 12-15% more loss for me.

So dove into NVCP, set to max frames vs. 60 cap I had set ( to stop the power bug in menu (what I’m gonna call it). same and power bug still there.
Then saw FXAA was set… so um, set to global because I have TAA in MSFS set, that solved it for me (don’t ask why it was set this way… only assume I set it previously that helped some past issue in MSFS, so likely not applicable to you?).
Went from 18-22 frames setting on tarmac at Love Field to 48-54 (BTW, have Dallas PG installed and locally cached… didn’t mess with that… was next on list, glad I didn’t have too!). Also not on 511 as too many issues for me (not stuff specific to MSFS). On last 497.

So check NVCP for anything that possibly conflicts with MSFS settings (that shouldn’t ideally but may).

I don’t think there will be “1” solution as many things can/do impact the app and it having to handle a ton of data plus network loading/server connected to/etc).
My system is not standard hardware or software (let’s call them tweaks). And this is only the simplest of tests I made so far in 1 location… gonna go check out the AUS PG… always like flying there as it was pretty darn good without PG.

So my best guess is I caused the problem that was exacerbated by the recent update (which one, WU7, Aus PG, Win10…)… and not gonna spent time finding which hole the rabbit is in.

Keep on keeping on!

1 Like

So it looks like the issue with PG affecting the FPS / Frametime is not something we can influence with scenery load order etc.

All that is installed for a PG region (3d city) is a single text file in a folder called “CoverageMaps”. The text file is called tin.txt and contains the name of the WU. It seems this is a simple flag that enables PG in that area.

3 Likes

Some more somewhat anecdotal evidence. this may be only affected if you spawn into an area with PG.

here are some frametimes from phoenix and Liverpool in the uk (which has no PG nearby)

Mainthread frametimes.

phnx

PG cities installed 20ms
PG cities uninstalled 14ms

eggp

PG cities installed 14ms
PG cities uninstalled 14ms

EDIT–

The plot thickens, just tested with LEMD which does have PG and the frametimes are the same with both PG cities installed and uninstalled. 14ms

Edit No2

This only seems to affect the US. I tried again at KLGA and removing the 3d cities gives me back 5ms however YSSY doesnt improve performance by removing the 3d cities

3 Likes