Poor VR performance on Windows 11 22H2

Pretty much same system as you. i9-12900, 3080, G2. But I cannot fly anymore, thats how bad its become with 22h2!

Can confirm the issues above. VR is unplayable …

Wow man! this works like a charm…
i just being crazy and you save my life with this.

Thanks a lot!!!

1 Like

Can confirm HolographicShell is the root cause of this issue. Once stopped performance returns to normal.

2 Likes

This is genius. It fixed problems with my other VR games. Thanks man!

Id like to know this also if anyone knows?

Things we have to do to get this sim working on Windows 11 LOL

I upgraded to 22H2 last night and saw no performance loss in two VR titles, using latest nVidea drivers (without GEForce Experience) and I haven’t done the holographicshell fix, guess I’m lucky!

I installed the 22H2 update a couple of days ago, and ever since I have been experiencing severe stutters in VR mode. I know I have the option of rolling back to the previous version, but I have seen many comments online that say that this issue was resolved with the NVIDIA driver update of September 27th. If this is the case, will rolling back do any good? Also, are there any disadvantages to rolling back the version? I do not use Geforce Experience.

I’m hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance for your help.

The new driver did not solve the issue for my Odyssey +.
I need to stop “holographicshell” in order to fly without issue. Once stopped, performance is as expected.

1 Like

Tried this holographicshell stop this morning, without any hope, but seems to work like a charm for me as well…
Highest ever fps in default airports or in flight with the Fenix, and the annoying black bands when turning the head are gone, even in custom fps-heavy airport (LEBL) and when flying the Airbus at 2000 ft over heavy photogrammetry ( downtown Barcelona). Can’t believe my eyes…

1 Like

It was a total game-changer for me as well!

1 Like

I have done 2 complete C drive wipes (fs is on the ssd) and 1 D drive wipe (I don’t have a lot on my PC as it’s just for gaming). And still shoddy performance. I DO NOT have the 22H2 update. I am using the previous set of nvidia drivers. As long as my HP Reverb is NOT plugged into my computer the game is smooth. Plug it in (I don’t even have to be using it) and the game runs like ■■■■. Until I found the HolographicShell shutdown. Now it is very smooth again.

This all started when I first attempted to update to 22H2 and the download/installation hung. Ever since then the VR googles have been worthless. So having done all the above 2x I am more than happy to find this thred. Not sure why I couldn’t find it before.

I am still NOT going to use 22H2 nor will I update my graphics drivers at this time. I will finish doing the FS world updates and getting my planes back in the hanger and HOPE that once that is done I still have the performance that I do now.

I certainly hope this “shell fix” can be included in some sort of patch because the last week for me has been miserable. Looking forward to get to flying again here in another hour or two!

1 Like

I tried 22H2 again, and with the holographicshell trick, W11 and FS20 worked in 2D, I didn´t try in VR but I guess sure, anyway back to 21H2 till it is solved and not to stop that each time.

Do you have to deactivate this Holgraphicshell again after each boot? Or does it remain stored in the system?

Each boot.

Please tell me that this is a joke.

Big help - thank you!!! Too bad this has to be redone with every reboot.

Once you make the change in the Computer Management, you have an option to save the change as a template (XML file). I just can’t figure out how to apply the new XML template once created.

Here is a little batch file that you can create to turn of the holographic shell. Paste this into notepad and save with a .bat extension.

@echo off
logman stop HolographicShell -ets
You have to run as an administrator but it does work. PITA I know but better that stutter.

3 Likes

Thanks for the batch file - it works perfectly for me and solves all my new stuttering issues with 22H2 and VR.

1 Like