Poor VR performance on Windows 11 22H2

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

VR has poor performance with low frame rates after upgrading to Windows 11 22H2 builds (reproduces on multiple builds, including the most recent RTM build, 22621). Most apparent when moving your head. Performance is resolved by rolling back to non-22H2 builds of Windows 11.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 from Windows Update.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

HP Reverb G2

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Not dependent on the Flight Simulator build.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

hi,

with or without VR enabled, 22H2 always poor for MSFS, I don’t think it’s problem of MSFS side. Seems Windows problem.

1 Like

Exactly the same and identical issue.

I log the problem in the Windows Insider Program and I know that there is an analysis still in progress. For more than 2 months we have no news about it and all of having these same issues we’re here waiting the miracle… Very sad.

Yes

Seeing performance issues in 2d and vr. Upgraded to Windows 11 22H2, also updated to MSFS 1.26.5. This could be a Windows update or MSFS update issue

• Ryzen 3500+ / 32GB / RTX3080ti, 1TB M.2 NVMe / HP Reverb G2

Yes

I am using a Valve Index headset through SteamVR. CPU and GPU appears to be underutilized during VR and non VR gameplay (CPU main thread is not maxing out, nor is the GPU).

For anyone who is seeing this issue, here’s something you could try:

Go to Computer Management → System Tools → Performance → Data Collector Sets → Event Trace Sessions. In this list, find HolographicShell, right click, and choose ‘Stop’.

18 Likes

For anyone who is having performance issues in VR, I highly suggest that you check out my post here:

I have incredible performance in VR with most settings on Ultra and Max. I just did a 1.5 hour flight today with no performance issues.

I was not aware I was able to roll back W11 updates, will investigate further

getting mid 50s FPS using normal displays but drops to 2 or 3 using VR (Reverb G2). My CPU utilisation is mid 30s and GPU 98-99%. I have tried backdating Nvidia drivers and been through recommended FS and OpenXR settings but no improvement.

Yes

Nothing to add

n.a.

Same issue here… 22H2 with the new NVIDIA driver, VR and it is unplayable…

2 Likes

With OpenXR Preview Runtime and 517.48 no issues. G2 and 3080. 22H2.

Are you sure you guys all are using the very latest preview runtimes, OpenXR (not SteamVR if you’re using a G2) with all the latest software updates with bells and whistles?

1 Like

Thanks maybe later, I am already again in 21H2.

Yeah, me too

517.48 was hailed as the solution to all problems, and after that, we could safely upgrade to 22H2.

This was, unfortunately, NOT the case for me. After 517.48, and re-upgrading to 22H2, I experience the same crazy performance problems and stuttering in MSFS2020 in VR. Downgrading (for the SECOND time) back to an earlier windows 11 build fixed it instantly (again). Very frustrating.

Windows 11, RTX 3090, Nvidia Driver 517.48, Intel i9 12900k

1 Like

Yes, same here. The new NVIDIA driver is good but the Windows Update is horrible. Now I have the 21H2 and everything is fine.

1 Like

Why do I get the message “This topic has been solved. Only reply if…” on the right while I type here?
It definitely is NOT solved, I got the same problem with 22H2. Is there any information from Microsoft or Asobo if this has to be fixed with a Windows update or with a FS update?

1 Like

It is NOT SOLVED at all, it´s even worse after the new driver, someone found a temporally workaround that work for their, not for me, that not means SOLVED, be serious.

2 Likes

I can’t believe that not just ONE person from the Asobo test team tried VR with the newest NVidia drivers and Windows 22H2… With this config, everybody seems to have this problem, so it’s universal.

I also can’t believe we still have to disable the HolographicShell to get performance back. Does anyone know a permanent way to disable it as I need to disable it on each restart of the PC.

1 Like

Yes!

Terrible stutters when moving head in Vr G2. Drone camera displays it best, as when moving and turning rapidly. Frame rates noticeably drop from 45 to 5fps, then back up continuously during any fast movements across fov.