Possible fix for improving the graphics after SU5

2.5 hours into a 5 hour flight, and temperatures have been perfect the entire way.

1 Like

Oh, absolutely all true, and as someone who, on and off, has been into flight sims for, um, letā€™s say very well over 15 years, everything you mention is truth. Prior to SU5, I was arguing that actually MSFS was far more stable than XP, and I do think (hope) MSFS will be great long termā€¦

I do share some concerns, however, that MSFS development will be hampered by the need to tie in to the XBox. I had really been starting to doubt that and was developing confidence and trust until the trends of SU5. Truly great flight sims are platforms for third party devs, and when a great company (and MS partner) like Aerosoft is cancelling cool projects at the 11th hour and 59th minute because updates broke them, thatā€™s a concern. MSFS is standing on some wobbily legs, and I can only imagine what a PMDG is doing right now. But that, plus other trends like not having yet given devs access to the camera system and other functionality is holding back some serious third party development.

I trust that XBox cash will power the MSFS platform for a decade to come, I just hope XBox issues donā€™t come at the expense of the PC version and what PC mod devs can create.

3 Likes

Agreed. What I believe is, that this was a general update to bring in xbox and PC together. A base update if you will. Now that the base has been created with good performance starting point, Asobo can now start polishing and sorting things out for the PC version. Remember DX12 still needs to be introduced and I believe all settings and bugs will be ironed out with DX12. So Iā€™m holding firm in my belief that this update was just a base/starting point to introduce DX12 and all itā€™s graphics quality like raytracing.

5 Likes

I did many experiments with the LODs. I believe beyond 3, using TrackIR, looking right and left is choppy. Yet my setup is pretty good to handle this (see my profile for PC Specs).

So I presume the LOD change to 3 max, could be a temporary fix. However, things are refactored as it seems, on a deeper level since this impacts how the light / shadow is rendered beyond a specific perimeter around the aircraft. Hence the ā€œhigh contrastā€ or ā€œdullā€ effect described in some posts.

It seems obviously that the XBox optimization / build is the one we have for PC. Hopefully Asobo will work on this to bring back to the PC build the look and feel of past builds.

But this might not guarantee that performance will be as SU5 deliversā€¦

Edit: Not to forget also that the Streaming vs Servers accesses are now multiplied by xyz factor considering the XBox usersā€¦

1 Like

Using live weather? What altitude are you cruising at?

1 Like

Maybe memory is limited for you but on a recent flight i was using over 20 Gb of memory.

Where did you see this info?

Dou you mean this?

RTX 3090 here. maxed out settingsā€¦LODs set to 7ā€¦stutter festā€¦barely hitting 8g of vramā€¦before update was hit 12-13 on mix of high and ultra

double check in development mode. I believe this will show what the sim is using. I think Task manager shows total system usage if I am not mistaken.

1 Like

No check from the in game FPS display. Task manager will show the RAM usage for all process and OS. You need to see the RAM usage only for MSFS, this can be viewed only from within the FPS counter in MSFS.

1 Like

how much Vram is your 3090 using? ( if you done mind me asking)

agree. we can call it Launch 2.0 :laughing:

To be very honest with you, I never open the resource monitoring window. It sounds strange but I simply rely on what I see and experience. I probably try to avoid being obsessed with numbers :slight_smile:

However I will do this and grab a couple of screens.

appreciate it

Just to be sure, with what LOD you want me to check the VRAM?

you said anything above 3 is choppy for you, so keep it at there to start. I have tried to push this thing and only seen a little over 7gā€™s. found a post from a few month back regarding VRAM usageā€¦

Thank you, worked very well, changed Terrain and Object to 3, much more quality with very few drop on FPS

They no longer say on the system requirements that 32 gig of RAM is better, they just recommend 16 gig, period. Donā€™t know about you, but I feel like I was scammed, specially after watching the Asobo interview where they said that the quality of graphics was going to be unaffected. Canā€™t believe nobody made a satire video with his comments and the aftermathā€¦

5 Likes

lolā€¦16 gigs is more than enough for the Xboxā€™s thatā€™s whyā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like