Possible fix for improving the graphics after SU5

But turning up the LODs should at least bring your GPU to its limit.

1 Like

Going to experiment more tonight after work

2 Likes

This can definitely be pushed higher with relatively minimal impact on performance, although YMMV. See this post:

The tower on the field on the left goes from visible here (Object LOD 2):

to here (Object LOD 4):

to here (Object LOD 9 - NOT RECOMMENDED just for illustration - and it is tiny in this pic so you may not be able to see it without zooming the pic in):

Ryzen 5900X
Rtx3090
64GB ram @ 3600mhz
All drives are m.2 very fast drives :+1:

In my opinion just missing data from bing maps. Happens from time to time.

I agree the Post processing effects are (as is usual in games) greatly exaggerated and spoil the image more than they improve it. Iā€™m just mad you canā€™t tune these things directly in the game setting and have to resort to some shady config file tuning, an unpleasant experience from the early 2000s.

1 Like

This is my issue. Limiting memory usage is a very big deal, especially for those of us who are graduates of the FSX 32 bit days. If memory usage will be permanently limited to Xbox specs Asobo was, in my opinion, duty bound to say so in advance. All of us who were maybe starting to trust their process a little bit now have a very good reason not to.

4 Likes

its not its just a way of keeping us quite they posted one in wrong temprature thread a few days ago

Despite all the promises and all the positivity around SU5 that where advertised I (and a lot more of us) feel like weĀ“ve been robbed out of our loyalty for MSFS/ASOBO.
As first costumers and big spenders we where told one thing and got the short end of the stick.
IĀ“m hopping that thereĀ“s someone seating on the HIGH CHAIR of the Sim kingdom looking at all this mess.

1 Like

where in the world is that am gonna be sick

Well I tried this and I think this is very good.
I use 3 for LOD, I tried 5 and that didnā€™t work at all, stutters everywhere!!
Thanks for the tips!!

1 Like

Seems like they are capping the amount of ram and vram.Its no longer taking fully advantage for anyone that has 32 or 64gb.
3 is introducing stutters for me a bit as well. Some areas I donā€™t get them.

I was sick the first time I saw this. My home town, Azores, itĀ“s bad.

Look up
LPAZ
LPPD- exception, they have ORBX airport
LPLA, mine (the pictures)
LPGR
LPPI
LPSJ
LPHR
LPFL
LPCR

9 Wonderful Islands in the middle of the Atlantic that have been forgotten (like a million other places, I recon) but non of the airports are correctly implemented (except the ORBX one)

A shame in short.

Does someone know how to modify these values to maximize shadow rendering distance?

{Shadows
	MaxSliceCount 4
	Size 4096
	DLightContributionCullingThresholdS0 0.250000
	DLightContributionCullingThresholdS1 0.250000
	DLightContributionCullingThresholdS2 0.250000
	DLightContributionCullingThresholdS3 0.250000
	OmniContributionCullingThreshold 0.000000

I donĀ“t know if the number must be higher or lower to significantly enhance the drawing distance for scenery shadows to give the visuals extra-depth and realismā€¦

The RAM/VRAM limitation has another reason - Garbage Collection. Lionel from Asobo mentioned the stutters we experienced in earlier versions are largely contributed by the GC process on large chunk of unused data in RAM. The more RAM/VRAM are used, the longer the GC process takes which would result in stutters

I think they need to figure out a better GC process that is suitable for PCs with large RAMs. In addition, future XBOX Series XXXXXXX may have 32GB or 64GB of memory

3 Likes

I laugh when people say they going back to X plane because the graphics are bad now. As if though X planeā€™s graphics are better. Smh!!

Even with the degraded graphics in MSFS, they still look 10x better than X plane with itā€™s minecraft graphics.

7 Likes

Best thing to do is make a Zendesk bug report and include pictures of the bugged areas. Just checked and itā€™s the same here.

2 Likes

No need :wink:

Correction.

Do not touch LOD slider and volumetric clouds settings :wink:

3 Likes

As someone who uses both sims, I am mostly on XP while this is all worked through. XP didnā€™t become useless the minute MSFS dropped.

As someone who, like many of us, bought more powerful hardware to be able to run MSFS in all its glory, this has been deeply disappointingā€¦

1 Like

I understand. But if you are someone who has used both sims and have been using XP for a long time, then you would know that issues like this are very common in the flight sim world. No sim has ever been fully optimized from itā€™s start. We are only one year in with MSFS. How long has it taken XP to get where it is today? Years!!! Hell, even with Vulkan, they still have issues. There are still some that suffer CTD on XP.

Point is, MSFS will be a glorious sim, but it will probably take a few more months or even a year or two from now until we get to see that.

All of us that have been in flight sim for over 15 years know that this is nothing new.

5 Likes