Possible to hide the pilot avatars in external view

Does anyone know if it’s possible to hide the pilots avatars when in external view?

I do all my flying in VR and for the sake of realism, I often open up the door and “jump out” of the aircraft after I landed and feels a bit weird seeing the pilot(s) are still in the cockpit when I just left the aircraft :joy:

I usually fly the TBM 930 with the mod where it’s possible to hide/show the pilots when in cockpit view. In external view however, they are always visible.

in flightsimulator.cfg toward the bottom of the file, theres a selection called seeself, if you set that to 0 then the cockpit will be empty, but if you fly the C208 what happens sometimes is you’ll get a box on the top of the plane. If its in the cfg file there is probably a menu selection somewhere, but I couldnt tell you where for sure…

Ok, that’s interesting. Thanks for sharing.

In Weight and Balance did you clear the pilot/passenger weights?

Yeah that might work also, but if you max out passenger weight you dont get any passengers ;p

I think (if it ever gets done) you would have Avatars in every seat you have weight.

I don’t think that clearing out the weight and balance takes the pilots out.

There’s a longstanding Wishlist topic to do that:

And there’s also this, which asks for the functionality to remove the pilot avatars:

In certain GA aircraft, making the co-pilot weight to zero does remove them from the aircraft when viewing external cameras. For sure it does on the Icon A5 off the top of my head, and I believe at least a few other GAs I tried it on. But not all of them to be sure.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

There is a way to do it, but it requires you edit the official .gltf files, or create a structure in the community folder that reloads modified .gltf files. (take a backup if you choose to do this!)

Notepad++ has a GLTF layout mod which makes them much easier to see what’s going on.

Search for PILOT0 and PILOT1 and comment them out (or change them to PPILOT0 or whatever). You’ll have to do it for every cockpit LOD.
Alternatively adjust their size modifier to 0

Cockpit LOD00 is for when you’re in the cockpit
Cockpit LOD01+ is for external viewing of the cockpit

It is entirely feasible for a pilot (and for this matter passengers) to be shown or not shown depending on whether their weight shows 0 or >0 - it just needs to be written into the sim.

1 Like

Many thanks, maybe I’ll try that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.