- Post Your Cockpit Pictures Here -

Hi, just to clarify things here as it is certainly not my intention to pass on bad information. My own experience with AM is I love it! However, I was running a Dell G7 Core i7, GTX1060 with 32gb RAM. I have a paid license for AM and have purchased additional panels from sim innovations. However, when I ran the laptop without AM running then FS2020 performance was enjoyable. When I started AM then FS2020 took a nosedive. So I can only assume that AM gave me a big hit on performance. I have just finished a new PC build with RTX3060, Core i9 system. Haven’t tested yet with AM but will post the results. Could it be that older systems with less powerful GPU are the issue? Personally I thought the G7 was a decent laptop and it runs FS2020 pretty good (for a laptop), just not with AM running.

AirManager had a Performance issue in the beginning of FS2020 as all SimConnect dependent AddOns had. That was due to a Bug in the SimConnect implementation but was fixed shortly after the First AM Betas. Never had such Problems again later on with AirManager itself.

This is our G7 laptop with AM running. Hilarious I know! But without AM running the sim was smooth. Again I am not critical of AM as we really love it. Just sharing our experience. This was the full version AM not the Beta.

1 Like

Well it was for sale on Ebay see Flight Simulator Cockpit Motherboard by LoungePilot  | eBay

Don’t forget to check our feedback on eBay!

I bought AM and had all kinds of troubles with it. I am a real pilot and software developer so I am not a newbie by any means. AM gave me random joystick inputs as if my yoke was broken, it made my logitech panels have delays and sometimes loose connection. I think their intention is good and the software is good too but still with a lot of bugs unfortunately.

Hi Danth8078,

We can only say our experience of the software is very positive. Our issues with frame rates most probably is down to the laptop we were using. We are looking forward to testing with our new System build.

Getting there. Waiting for my brunner cls-e mkII yoke and rudders to come in and the flight illusion standby instruments.

10 Likes

Looks very nice. I see that you used 80/20 extruded aluminum for the frame. I also used it on my build. Very sturdy and very adaptable. Here is their catalog https://8020.net/bookshelf in case others are interested.

You guys are giving me so much inspiration, here’s my setup so far

5 Likes

Love the obligatory World Wall Map. :slightly_smiling_face:

Jim-Sim

Necessary for deciding where to fly :joy:

Today added and configured Virtual Fly wet compass. Installed the GCU-479 but unfortunately msfs2020 doesn’t recognize the keys and numbers yet.
Hopefully next week flight illusion gauges will be in and brunner yoke and rudders are shipping 10-13.

6 Likes

What CPU does your laptop have? That’s one detail you didn’t share. If you don’t have enough cores / threads, then it can most definitely affect your performance, if you’re sharing threads with MSFS, which can use up to 6 from what I can tell.

I used to have Logi panels. I’ve never noticed any kind of performance or interference between AM and any of my panels or hardware. My whole cockpit runs on AM - 4 screens’ worth of instruments and no performance hit to speak of. What do you have for CPU and RAM in your system? That may have something to do with it.

Hi Crunchmeister71,

The laptop has a Core i7 8750H with six cores running 12 threads. We are pretty sure we changed a system setting to allow for the system to use all 12 threads, just cannot remember what setting we changed. The CPU clock speed is 2.2GHz. We are guessing it could also be an issue that the laptop was driving an external display monitor at the same time as driving the steam gauges display, maybe just a bit too much for the laptop to handle?

Hmm
 You should definitely have enough threads if hyperthreading is enabled. If it wasn’t, then 6 cores would likely be causing an issue as MSFS wants to use all of those for itself, and running something else on top of that would definitely cause an issue.

You can easily check it out. Bring up your Task Manager, go to the Performance tab, select the CPU, right click on the graph and select Change Graph To > Logical Processors. That will tell you how many threads you have active. If you see 12, then I don’t know why it would be affecting your performance so badly. If you only see 6, then you have hyperthreading disabled.

The setting for that would be in the BIOS. I can’t tell you where exactly that would be specific to the make / model of laptop you use.

AM is a pretty lightweight program, all things considered. Most modern computers should have little issue running it. I can run it in high fps mode (you can choose to run it at low 30 / high 60 in its settings) without any noticeable effect on my system (Ryzen 2700X).

Hi Crunchmeister,

We see 12 threads running! We will use the laptop for some basic hardware testing now and run FS/AM on the new build.

Thank you!

With 12 cores you should have been fine. If I’m running a plane that doesn’t need screens popped out of MSFS like the C152, I’m running with great fps. I only see a reduction in performance when I have to pop out a window like my G1000 screens or stuff like that. Even just popping out the ATC window will also cause that same fps drop. That’s definitely an issue with the sim itself.

Well, on the new build, you should be quite alright. Any i9 with a 3060 of any flavour should easily be able to maintain good frame rates with AM running. Pop-outs will always drop you down to the 30-ish fps range. Lower if you have v-sync on or frame limiter running in your nVidia control panel.

1 Like

My old setup was just bolting down plywood on my desk and mounting my Logitech yoke followed by the switch panel on top of the yoke autopilot on top of the switch panel and throttle and rudder but I’m building a setup based on a racing simulator seat build for my new setup

3 Likes