Post your DX12 with Studio Driver Results Here

Sorry, it’s “texture resolution” below the Object LOD slider. You have to restart the sim to see the changes.

1 Like

I think this is an important point. I was just going to mention it, but you beat me to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

19-9900k OC to 5.0GHz 3080Ti (11GB VRAM), 32GB RAM

TAA 100, OXR Toolkit FSR is at 90 (I think I should maybe bump this to 100? But it works ok at 90% so that’s where it sits for now)

Just switched over to the latest studio driver and turned on DX12 Enabled the advanced overlay on the OXR Toolkit to see the results…

So VRAM jumped up to around 10GB being used… I guess that’s a good thing since the sim is using available VRAM. My GPU seems really bored now. Don’t have the exact numbers in front of me, but it’s about half the number of the CPU… Frames get locked in around 36 which is half my refresh rate of the Quest 2 running at 72Hz.

Performance is VERY smooth in the headset. I tried all this without the oculus debut tool which I was previously using to lock in frames. Now I just left it off.

So a few questions for you - Should I be concerned that VRAM is getting up to 10GB (the OXR display says 100% and sometimes greater at times). I do notice when I try to use the oculus dashboard to look at a desktop window, it gets choppy… when I go back to MSFS VR, frames go back up to 36 again and it smooths out

Should I start to increase settings to get my CPU to be less bored? Like I said, it is at about half the number the CPU is at right now. Any ideas on what I can try? Maybe I have some headroom, here?

One thing to note is that I do run streamlabs to stream VR at times… so not sure if this is going to impact CPU or GPU and if this will make a determination of what I should try to get that CPU working harder.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and for the previous posts here that made me take the plunge to DX12 and the new Studio Driver.

Tested with 517.40 SD on a 10th i7 and rtx 2060super 8gb tested with the Fenix A320. 1440p.

DLSS=Quality

DX12= Out of VRAM. No stutters when panning but significant fps loss.

DX11= Better fps but more stuttering when panning in the cockpit.

My best experience so far with SU10 is the current game ready driver with DX11 and DLSS set to Quality.

2 Likes

same specs, I was ready to install the 517.40 studio drivers but reading your post I will keep on 516 GRD for now.
Thanks!

1 Like

I rolled back to the current game ready driver. That error no longer occurs. DX11 performance is exactly the same as it was during the final few builds of the beta. DX12 is still unusable for me. But at least it’s stable now.

1 Like

If your old Game Ready driver was from the last 6 months, I don’t think there should be any differences between your old Game Ready driver and the new Studio driver for DX 11.

Personally, I am a bit weary about changing from Game Ready driver to Studio driver, but that’s just me. If you install a new driver again after your current driver, you may want to do a clean driver uninstall - people recommend using DDU for that.

If I were to guess, perhaps when you installed the Studio driver, there was some conflict with your older Game Ready driver.

Yeah, I used DDU to remove the old driver (which is at this time still the most current) before updating to the Studio. And used DDU again to revert back to the GRD.

I’m just going to wait for the new GRD to be released. The fact they released the Studio version this week, but not the GRD must mean they realize something isn’t quite right with it and needs to be fixed.

1 Like

IMO every signs are pointing towards the fact that the studio driver is more than adequate, and that DX12 optimizations will be active when using it. I really don’t think MSFS will behave any different on a game ready driver. The fact that the studio driver will give the same experience as the GRD has now also been confirmed by nVidia:

Similar results here.
DX12 with latest driver. 3080Ti. Using TAA (DLSS is not usable for me in VR - can’t read any glass displays clearly).

VRAM shoots up to the max and sim is smoooooth as silk.
Open up anything else or try to use the Quest to look at another desktop window in VR - VRAM overshoots (past 100% according to the openxr toolkit advanced display) and everything becomes a stuttery mess which I can’t recover from.

Seems like a poor implementation of DX12 if it is going to be allowed to consume every ounce of VRAM leaving no room for anything else. Unless I’m doing something wrong…

Anyway, back to DX11 and smooth performance I was getting before this experiment.

If “memory optimisation” means “use more VRAM than is available”, then that’s not optimisation in my book.

1 Like

DX12 is unlike DX11, where memory management is largely handled automatically through the API. I suspect this behavior will be addressed further in SU11, but as I mentioned a few posts ago, folks with 10 and even 12 GB of VRAM should probably think twice about enabling DX12 unless you want to decrease some visual quality settings. Unfortunately, this range includes most users with a 3080 and 3080 Ti.

Yep. It will pretty much use up any and all VRAM available. For people like me who need some headroom for things like Oculus desktop and streamlabs… it’s not going to work out. They need to do better. This seems like a sloppy implementation. Or I need a 3090 or a 4000 series card. Which seems a bit ridiculous given my 3080 Ti a pretty good card witn 12GB VRAM.

I am on DX12 with latest Studio driver, and I used to have the Openxr Toolkit set at 90% before SU10, with no other settings and it was very clear and more FPS. AFTER the SU update and running DX12 with the latest Studio Driver and a 3090 OC to 2040 MHZ (factory on a Strix 3090 OC w their OC preset in their software) I have found out that I do no longer need the toolkit, since I get better clarity and FPS without it at 100 % with DLSS Quality.
Your CPU is much stronger than mine (i9-9900K) so I would definitely give DX12 a try without the toolkit and DLSS turned on. I have gained at least 6-10 FPS after SU10 and even though my CPU is 4 years old, and my 3090 running at 2040, I am still GPU limited! That is an impressive update for my system. Forgot to say, I have an HP G2. Example; I installed a1000 watts power supply when I built my PC. way before RTX 3090’s came out. At the time I was told that was too much for a game PC . Today it would handle a 4090.

HI everyone with last studio driver or game ready, my gpu and my cpu are in holidays. I have tried dx 11 or dx 12, low or ultra settings, dlss activated or not, but anything move… I am always between 5 and 30 fps.

My computer is ryzen 5950x 128 Go of ram, and rtx 3090 on 4k screen.

I have reinstall mfs just before update of su10 and the problem appear.

Can someone help me?
Thanks

The best performance I had since the release of MSFS. I even tested it on my heaviest airport using Fenix and it still able to stay above 30 FPS. Really good performance improvement using 517.40 with DX12.

1 Like

Don’t blame Asobo if they are allowing people that have stronger systems to utilize more of their available resources. It is a fact of technology, or we all still be flying the original MSFS at 3 FPS (I’ve been there). It is called progress and when you buy or build your PC you need to be prepare and make it future proof for at least four years, with the only exception being video cards. Eight Gigs of VRAM had been the standard for way, way too long, just like 16 gigs of ram. Just to give you an idea, my 3090 is using 20-21 Gigs of VRAM, and the results are outstanding. I don’t want Asobo to lower the standards to please everyone.
At this point it would be silly to buy a new 40XX cards with less than 24 gigs of VRAM, and any owner of a 3090 can tell you that.

4 Likes

I just installed the Studio Driver v 517.40 and to start, nothing changed, still maxing out at 100% RTX 2800S, then I went to options and changed to Ultra Global Rendering but changed NVIDIA DLSS to Ultra Performance and I’m getting around 23% on GPU while flying over New York which is awesome on Ultra. I’ll try VR after I’ve got my daughter from after school.

Greetings,

playing MSFS SU10 on Windows 10 with i7 6700k @ 4.2 Ghz (hyperthreading on), GTX 1080 Ti, 16 Gb ddr4 @ 2666, LG monitor g-sync compatible (v-sync off) @ 1920x1080 (render scaling 120), TAA, settings all on Ultra except TLOD and OLOD @ 150

I have repeated my ‘default’ flight (Cessna C172 with analogue gauges, takeoff at dawn from YSSY, scattered clouds, circling two times over downtown Sydney with photogrammetry on, often panning the view around) several times to compare DX11 vs DX12, before and after having installed latest Nvidia Studio Driver 517.40

My best flying experience is definitely with DX12 and Nvidia SD, with notably less stutter while panning around and a buttery smooth motion

Analyzing with Dev mode on, the main and render thread are nicely balanced around 20 ms, with 6.8 Gb of GPU ram being used, hence plenty of overhead still available

As a last note, for the full day I have played switching airplanes, scenarios, racing at Reno, etc… not a single CTD!

I am extremely pleased by the results

1 Like

That seems a robust way of testing and comparing before and after installing latest nVidia studio driver as well as comparing DX11 and 12.

It seems more and more people are reporting good experiences with the latest studio driver.

I’ve been running very high settings - too high I realised today as I was approaching Christchurch in the analog Caravan in low clouds and haze, running a TLOD of 400. I noticed some stutters on final approach and checked fps which was 28. After touchdown and on the way to parking the fps stayed at 32-33 and things were smooth. It’s fairly obvious that I won’t stand a chance at KLAX with AI traffic at these settings.

1 Like