Press any button to start loop after installing KB5005565

EDIT: Today MSFS was updated to 1.19.9.0. It seems that fixed the issue, however the release notes did not mention it.

EDIT2: The issue was reported on 1.19.8.0.

For me this was caused by KB5005565 that released on 2021-09-14.

• Before that Windows update MSFS was fine.
  • After installing the KB5005565 windows update MSFS went into “Press any button…” loop.
  • After uninstalling the KB5005565 MSFS was again just fine.

I should add that I am running Steam version of MSFS 2020.

There is a possibly related crash report of IE11 and that KB [1]. The linking component might be a MSHTML component, that might also be used on the “Checking for updates” screen that will not render.

[1] https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/report-an-issue/internet-explorer-11-hangs-on-start-after-installing-kb5005565/m-p/2756247

3 Likes

How do I Uninstall it?

EDIT: This no longer happens to me after 1.19.9.0 update on 2021-09-17. :grinning:

Go to Start → Settings → Update & Security → View update history → Uninstall updates
Select the KB5005565 from the list and click Uninstall above the list.

You already have the update installed, so how could you tell?

I have that update, and I’ve never had this looping download, on any previous update in fact. I suspect that there are local issues at work for those who constantly suffer it.

Personal Comments:

I am on Steam, have 1.19.9 Hotfix (today) installed and just before today’s hotfix hit, I received notice to download KB5005565 which I did and rebooted. I just finished a 12 minute flight in the Keys, my third of the day since installing both.

1 Like

I never had that issue before KB update, so I would argue that I am not constantly suffering from it.

The issue started on 1.19.8.0 when KB update got installed. The issue went away a) when KB was unistalled b) again after KB was (re)installed and 1.19.9.0 got updated.

I have been running Microsoft Flight simulators since November 1986.

I agree there may well be local issues, what ever they might be.

1 Like

Note that the issue was reported on 1.19.8.0.

I cannot get past “ Press any button to start“;
I have done everything.
1… Repair x box
2. Delete x box
3. Emptied community folder
4. Updated “windows update” several times
5. Deleted Microsoft Store & reinstalled it
6. Deleted MSFS PC2020 (twice)
7. Reinstalled MSFS twice
8. Checked & double checked password
9. Changed Password
Nothing works. I bought a new high end machine just for MSFS, which worked fine prior to this latest upgrade. I waisted most of yesterday. I will stop trying until I read of some plausible fix from Microsoft.

Same here, I have pretty much gone trough every trick.
After uninstalling the MSFS steam version and reinstalling, steam loads initial MFSF client content and then gets stuck in “Press any button” loop. So the game wont download or install. Unplayable atm.

My suspicion would be that there is something left behind of the old install that is causing this. I don’t have the Steam version, so I can’t categorically say, but I believe that the only bit part of the sim that Steam downloads itself is the equivalent of what we download from the MS Store, or the “launcher” for what of a better word.

The launcher then downloads the bulk of the sim to a folder of your choosing. If it were me I would clear it all down. Uninstall MSFS again, close Steam, then identify all folders that may be left behind by the old install. Steam doesn’t always delete the entire folder, leaving some meta data behind.

Depending on how you installed it the first time you could have two main folders to delete: the sim installation folder, and then”launcher” folder that Steam creates.

I don’t know where your “profile” for MSFS gets created. For me this is inside my Windows user profile. I don’t know whether this folder could be a possible cause, or whether is is safe to delete. In theory it should be safe, as it will be re-downloaded from the cloud, including all your controller configs, but I’ve never done this myself.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.